Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

My local newspaper had an article on this PetArmor product. It is a generic version of Frontline that supposedly has the same formulation and is selling for a much lower price ($28.00 for a 3 month supply).

Currently it is only available at Walmart, so I won't be buying it anytime soon, but I would love to hear some reviews from anyone who has tried it.

There is another new generic sold at pet retailers such as Petsmart, called Fiproguard Plus, that is somewhat cheaper than Frontline. I've had problems with flea and tick products before, so I am hesitant to change from Frontline without some very positive reviews.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
look at the active ingredients.

frontline plus contains: Fipronil and S-Methoprene (frontline without the plus just contains fipronil)
pet armor plus at walmart contains: fipronil and S-methoprene (pet armor without the plus also contains just fipronil)
fiproguard plus contains: Fipronil and s-methoprene

exact same active ingredients, so assuming the dosage instructions are the same they should be equally effective.
the differences in the brand usually aly within the inactive ingredients used to make the products, but these dont actually play any part in controling fleas or ticks...
so given that info...all 3 SHOULD have the same effects.

that being said, some areas are finding frontline less effective and need to switch brands (fleas and ticks do build up tolerances for insecitides) in which case these generics wouldnt be usefull as they are the same active ingredients...
i hope that makes sense....

in otherwords, if frontline WORKS, then these the 2 "generics" should also work...
but if frontline doesnt work, the generics with the same active ingredients wont either.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i would find a way to review ingredients of each, side by side.....

Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I'm curious about this as well...looking for something lower priced...Frontline is really eating at the wallet!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 PM

as i said, looking at the active ingredients, they are exactly the same product, they dont list the inactive ingredients (and i dont know enough about those inactive ingredients to be usefull) but its the same product in dfferent packaging in terms fo active ingredients for effectivness.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM

99 posts, read 531,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
as i said, looking at the active ingredients, they are exactly the same product, they dont list the inactive ingredients (and i dont know enough about those inactive ingredients to be usefull) but its the same product in dfferent packaging in terms fo active ingredients for effectivness.
Do they list the amounts of active ingredients? They can have the same active ingredients but it wouldn't surprise me if there was less in the cheaper product. You generally get what you pay for.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:22 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

sorry foxy... you and i posted at the same time......

Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM

cowtown, the active ingredient is the exact same dosage...

its just the patent on them has run out reacently so generic versions can now legally be made...
(just like human generic meds, a company has a corner on the market for x number of years, and once that period is up other companes are free to make use of the same active ingreidents to make a generic version.)

Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Just as an FYI, these skin applied tick things are not medications. There never was a need to get a prescription to buy them. Fipronil is not a pharmacutical and is not registered with FDA, it is registered witht he EPA as a pesticide. Country folks have been making their own by getting insect control products from the local hardware store was plain fipronil and mixing it with mineral oil to the exact same concentration as these brand name tick control for a fraction of the price. theres one available at the big box home improvement stores for something like $5.00 for 12 oz and that can make a 3 gallon of the same thing marketed under these brand name pet tick control products. You got a 10 year supply out of it.

Foxywench is rightt hat the patent expired the first opf last year and if you go to pet supply stores you will find the exact same thing for a fraction of the price as an OTC item. There is now no need for anyone to buy a brand name at regular prices. Of course be aware that manufacturing of these new brands are all done in China.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 141,913 times
Default Re: Pet Armor Plus

Im currently using Pet Armor plus on my Jack Russells; it works great. Its identical to Frontline Plus but less expensive. WalMart has it for 28 bucks which is cheaper then Frontline in most places. I will probably switch back to Frontline since I order it from out of the country and only pay 24 bucks for it; 4 bucks off doesnt sound like much but with 4 dogs that works out to a fairly large savings. In a pinch I will purchase the Pet Armor Plus from Walmart. The flea and tick season is in full swing here in Florida so its very important to keep the dogs protected. Best of luck!
Mike, Belleview, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs