Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,822,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I thought chicken bones were really bad for dogs?
As long as they're raw, they're soft enough to chew and swallow withoug splintering.

To be on the safer side, I'd go with the canned food, packed in a ball.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
You mentioned that he got the first one from a Humane Society. Do you know which one? Was there a contract? In ours we have the right to reclaim any dog we adopt out at any time (and a couple of years ago we seized a dog that had been adopted out 5 years earlier) if the people fail to provide the kind of care stipulated in the contract.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM

268 posts, read 704,338 times
Excellent suggestion, Zugor!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
You mentioned that he got the first one from a Humane Society. Do you know which one? Was there a contract? In ours we have the right to reclaim any dog we adopt out at any time (and a couple of years ago we seized a dog that had been adopted out 5 years earlier) if the people fail to provide the kind of care stipulated in the contract.
HS is a dead end. Another story, the neighbor to the right of me had the sweetest dog tied out 24/7 on concrete under a carport. Two abused, neglected pitbulls got out of a screened window across the street, went over by her and cornered her and chewed her up really bad. OMG, the POS owner came home from work and did not want to put her in his car because of all the blood. I put her in my car and took her to vet. I found out the next day he did not want to pay any vet bill to fix her up and had her killed!!!!!!!! I drove the next day to the Humane Society where they got her and told them the story and about her miserable life there for 10 years. All they said was that when they adopt a dog out they just hope and pray it goes to a good home! UGH!!!!!
Update: I recently heard he wants to get another dog as soon as he can figure out where to put it! I gave the HS his name and address and pleaded for them not to adopt another dog to him.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM

268 posts, read 704,338 times
No more ! My heart cant take it! I hate people sometimes

Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
There's a magnet that says: I <3 dogs, it's humans that annoy me!

I think a lot of us feel that way esp. after reading some of the sad stories here (and elsewhere).

I hope those 2 dogs can get the help they need, am thrilled at the clever way they're being fed in the meantime.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
There's a magnet that says: I <3 dogs, it's humans that annoy me!

I think a lot of us feel that way esp. after reading some of the sad stories here (and elsewhere).

I hope those 2 dogs can get the help they need, am thrilled at the clever way they're being fed in the meantime.
Update: I made myself a nice big healthy sandwich a while ago. Brought it back to my desk here in my sunroom, looked back at the space in my fence and their was the husky/mix sitting and looking very hungry! Long story short, both the dogs each got a half of my sandwich! I will survive without it and I will sleep better tonight knowing they will not go to sleep hungry!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
You're a good person, Blondie, and I hope there's a happy conclusion to their story soon, I gotta give you tons of credit for making their lives bearable given the lousy situation they're in, I just wish AC could get them out of there soon, they deserve to have full tummies all the time and be loved and feel secure. Thx for all you're doing (and I hope you get to make yourself another tasty sandwich soon ).

Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,147 times
Blondie, thank you for all that you are doing. Since AC and HS are of no help, how about going up the ladder a bit? Contact the national office of the HS and perhaps a city councilman or whatever the equivalent is in your area.

Also maybe contact some area dog rescue groups to see what they suggest. Leaving a dog outside with no water is criminal and should not be allowed to continue. Also, you should not have to spend your hard-earned money to sustain THEIR dogs.

I think you also said in the earlier thread that the one dog barks constantly. Could you file a formal complaint about that? Years ago, a neighbor kept his dog tied up 24/7 (this is now illegal here in LA so yeah!); we complained, actually had an arbitration meeting with some city official and the neighbor about this; in the end, the dog was gone. I'm not sure what happened to him but either way, it had to be better than being tied up for his whole life.

Another thought---what if WE all wrote a letter to your local AC or HS? You could email us the POS' address privately.

Good luck and THANK YOU for caring. These dogs are lucky to have you.

Quote:
HS is a dead end. Another story, the neighbor to the right of me had the sweetest dog tied out 24/7 on concrete under a carport. Two abused, neglected pitbulls got out of a screened window across the street, went over by her and cornered her and chewed her up really bad. OMG, the POS owner came home from work and did not want to put her in his car because of all the blood. I put her in my car and took her to vet. I found out the next day he did not want to pay any vet bill to fix her up and had her killed!!!!!!!! I drove the next day to the Humane Society where they got her and told them the story and about her miserable life there for 10 years. All they said was that when they adopt a dog out they just hope and pray it goes to a good home! UGH!!!!!
Update: I recently heard he wants to get another dog as soon as he can figure out where to put it! I gave the HS his name and address and pleaded for them not to adopt another dog to him.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:51 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
I'm glad the dogs in your neighborhood have at least one person they can count on to try and look out for their interests. Wish I could rep you again but gotta spread it around first. Out of curiousity...are you in a town, city or out in the country? I ask because perhaps you could go to the mayor of your town or the county commissioners and at least try and get some animal abuse regulations in place that could help these poor souls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs