Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 01:05 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

I remember Bosco chocolate syrup as a kid, that was the best.
I always preferred Quik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 02:23 PM

10,128 posts, read 15,005,385 times
Quote:
Better snow, skiing and scenery in Utah. Hands over fists nicer than CT in that area.
You can have the ice cream economy, who cares.
For people that don’t like the snow and could care less for skiing better is actually worse. Funny you don’t mention that often when landing at Salt Lake City there is a weird smell when you step out of the airport. No such weird smells anywhere in CT at any time of the year. The scenery in UT is often brown desert types, quite frankly not comparable with the typical lush and very dense trees scenery in much of CT. UT is such a huge state and there are hardly people with CT having a much smaller territory but larger population. Even Arizona, Colorado, New York, Florida, even Oklahoma has more people each. Hmm, wonder why, such an amazing state with incredible scenery. Why more people don’t want to have those views from their backyards in Utah?

Oh yes, CT beats UT when it comes to beaches. That is huge considering CT beaches aren’t of the “wow types.”

Old 04-26-2024, 02:50 PM

34,960 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
YMMV, I'm not talking about towns and structures, I get that, I know CT folks hold those things near and dear to their hearts. I just find nature and topography much more beautiful, intersting and diverse out west.

As far as ice cream goes, I'm good with just a bowl of Hood chocolate on a rare occasion.
I remember Bosco chocolate syrup as a kid, that was the best.
Even just nature and topography I like better here. It’s the greenery and in fall the change of leaf color I love. Utah isn’t that green and has no fall colors to speak of. It’s kind of barren which can be majestic in the mountains but seems lacking to me.

I also loved Bosco as a kid. Haven’t had it in years. I’m a Hershey man now.

Old 04-26-2024, 02:55 PM

6,936 posts, read 3,771,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
For people that don’t like the snow and could care less for skiing better is actually worse. Funny you don’t mention that often when landing at Salt Lake City there is a weird smell when you step out of the airport. No such weird smells anywhere in CT at any time of the year. The scenery in UT is often brown desert types, quite frankly not comparable with the typical lush and very dense trees scenery in much of CT. UT is such a huge state and there are hardly people with CT having a much smaller territory but larger population. Even Arizona, Colorado, New York, Florida, even Oklahoma has more people each. Hmm, wonder why, such an amazing state with incredible scenery. Why more people don’t want to have those views from their backyards in Utah?

Oh yes, CT beats UT when it comes to beaches. That is huge considering CT beaches aren’t of the “wow types.”
Guys seriously, again, I'm just talking about landscapes and scenery of the west vs the east. That's it.
I'm on a boat in LI Sound every day, I know CT's beauty too.
Always remember - YMMV
CT may have better homemade farmed ice cream, I get it

Old 04-26-2024, 07:18 PM

10,128 posts, read 15,005,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Even just nature and topography I like better here. It’s the greenery and in fall the change of leaf color I love. Utah isn’t that green and has no fall colors to speak of. It’s kind of barren which can be majestic in the mountains but seems lacking to me.

I also loved Bosco as a kid. Haven’t had it in years. I’m a Hershey man now.
Barren is good enough if you are there for a very short time, like during a vacation. It’s interesting because that’s not the setting you are used to. But one thing is to be there for a short time and you know the time to leave is coming. It’s something else to live there when barren scenery is what you see every single day.

It’s similar to how winter is in CT in the sense most trees loose their leaves. I don’t like it one bit, but I also know that is temporary. The fact I know every day is one day closer to the end and then most things will be green again makes it easier to put up with trees with no leaves.

Right now I really like CT. Everything is blooming. That’s what I’m talking about.

One time I showed to aquaintances that live in the tropics a photo of my CT house during winter with all the trees without leaves and only a few pines that look as if they had life. One guy commented that CT has a lot of wood for fire burning. Lol I had to explain it isn’t that the trees are dead, they look like that in the winter and then everything is green again. I had to show another photo in the summer so they would believe me.

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-26-2024 at 07:26 PM..

Old 04-27-2024, 07:07 AM

1,930 posts, read 2,043,049 times
My top 2 in state are Arethusa, Ferris Acres.

For soft serve, Gooseboro in Litchfield - terrific milkshakes.

Rich Farm is a solid choice but I will always pick one of those top two first.

I always liked Peaches N Cream too, but haven’t been in a few years, so it may have changed.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:26 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,654,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
For comparison, CT and UT are very disparate in terms of land area, but in terms of the population sizes CT is bigger than UT.

Plus, CT does have a bigger economy and is richer than UT.

There are many other factors that go into whether a place can support X number of ice cream shops, but simply going by size in terms of population and the economy, CT may well be able to support more ice cream shops than UT. That may also translate to CT having more top ice cream places too. Since CT does have a lot less land than UT, the density of ice cream shops at the state level will be higher in CT. That means you can be anywhere in CT and a top ice cream place will not be too faraway. In Utah, well…

https://countryeconomy.com/countries...ah/connecticut
I agree, but I wasn't talking about only Utah. In fact, I feel Utah is quite competitive compared to most states with top quality ice cream. I just mentioned UT because I currently live there now. But anyways, when you look at even states like New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and even California; CT has more TOP QUALITY ice cream places. NOT ice cream places as a whole, but TOP QUALITY ones from farms, etc.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t know, I find our shoreline, greenery and fall colors and charming colonial towns far more attractive than much of Utah. It’s not all snow, skiing and mountain scenery.
I'd take CT over UT any day! I live in Utah right now. It's a nice state with great nature, but I really do miss the beach at the ocean, and CT has much nicer areas, towns, etc. That being said, while I do like mountains and hiking, it's not a top hobby for me and not something that amazes me that much. And I don't ski; heard way too many injury stories with that.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:30 AM

OK guys, I didn't mean to start a huge debate about Connecticut vs Utah. I was talking about the whole ice cream places in CT vs other states in terms of competitiveness between top quality ice cream. This CT vs UT debate is interesting, but we can move that to another thread in the city vs city forum! This thread is about Ice Cream in CT!

I'm surprise Jay hasn't put an end to this yet, LOL! I am sure he will any minute now!

Old 04-27-2024, 10:04 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I'd take CT over UT any day! I live in Utah right now. It's a nice state with great nature, but I really do miss the beach at the ocean, and CT has much nicer areas, towns, etc. That being said, while I do like mountains and hiking, it's not a top hobby for me and not something that amazes me that much. And I don't ski; heard way too many injury stories with that.
CT has much much much better food. If you ever get a chance though, go to Rosa’s Cafe in Ogden. AMAZING little Mexican hole in the wall. I go out of my way for it (partially because the food stinks so much in SLC overall).

Don’t be afraid to ski. I’ve been doing it for 30 years and no injury (knock on wood). A lot has to do with common sense and being cautious. Plus you have the best snow in the country and maybe the world (only Japan challenges it) for skiing, which makes it much much easier and less likely to injure. If you take lessons, you have nothing to worry about. Alta is incredible.

Back to ice cream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut