Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 PM

7,533 posts, read 13,692,010 times

Advertisements

Now that not one RS remains in CT, is there anywhere else to buy small electronic parts ?

Like microswitchs, small wire nuts, push or toggle switches, battery holders, resistors, to name a few.

There are several on-line sources for such, but many times a part needs to be seen if it fits the need, and/or it is needed quickly.

These parts are needed to support middle school science class projects.

Any suggestions, preferably near Hartford ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 04:57 PM

83,624 posts, read 75,673,923 times
I used them for small fuses but TBH I'm surprised they lasted this long.

I was gonna suggest Amazon but I hear you on the speed and return factor.

How about an auto part store?

Theres a place I found in Stamford for batteries and bulbs. Never knew existed. They probably have small stuff too. Small hidden mom pop supply type store. Maybe theres something like this close to you?

https://www.ryszbattery.com

Old 11-02-2017, 07:15 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,858,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Now that not one RS remains in CT, is there anywhere else to buy small electronic parts ?

Like microswitchs, small wire nuts, push or toggle switches, battery holders, resistors, to name a few.

There are several on-line sources for such, but many times a part needs to be seen if it fits the need, and/or it is needed quickly.

These parts are needed to support middle school science class projects.

Any suggestions, preferably near Hartford ?
Ebay is probably your best bet. Be sure to order from a US seller and not a China seller unless you want to wait 3+ weeks.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 PM

[quote=MrGompers;50014018]Ebay is probably your best bet. Be sure to order from a US seller and not a China seller unless you want to wait 3+ weeks.[/quote]

I know. Order a pkg of plastic gears on 10/21, per USPS they might deliver this Sat 11/5. But $5 incl shipping for 75 gears was hard to pass up.

Ebay is OK except sometimes we need parts now, and/or need to see the part to be sure it "fits".

Old 11-02-2017, 09:00 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,329,112 times
Not many brick and mortar places do anymore. It's an end of an era unfortunately. Some places like Best Buy and tiny non-corporate stores have decent stuff, but everything is online now. Just type in what you're looking for, and it's almost guaranteed that you can have it shipped.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,437,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I used them for small fuses but TBH I'm surprised they lasted this long.

I was gonna suggest Amazon but I hear you on the speed and return factor.

How about an auto part store?

Theres a place I found in Stamford for batteries and bulbs. Never knew existed. They probably have small stuff too. Small hidden mom pop supply type store. Maybe theres something like this close to you?

https://www.ryszbattery.com
Cambium: is the place you found Batteries + Bulbs? They have several stores in New Haven area (Hamden and, I think, Orange). Individually owned - they carry every battery and bulb you can imagine and install, too.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:14 PM

282 posts, read 234,087 times
Have you tried any of the ACE or True Value Hardware stores? There's a bunch of them throughout the state.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:25 PM

83,624 posts, read 75,673,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Cambium: is the place you found Batteries + Bulbs? They have several stores in New Haven area (Hamden and, I think, Orange). Individually owned - they carry every battery and bulb you can imagine and install, too.
The answer is on the menu with the link I gave. Good luck. Interesting they are in New Haven as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Have you tried any of the ACE or True Value Hardware stores? There's a bunch of them throughout the state.
I agree with the hardware store as well. Forgot about that. A local hardware store may have the stuff, if not in stock maybe order it .

Old 11-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
While these electronic component type parts are sometimes available thru ACE or True Value's "Ship-To-Store" process, they are rarely IN STOCK. I am trying to find a store (of any type) that carries these items IN STOCK, like Radio Shack did.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 PM

21,875 posts, read 28,253,042 times
Auto parts stores or Amazon/other sites are the only options now, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut