Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 09:50 AM

2,198 posts, read 1,647,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
I thought i would share some of my favorite must hit spots for some ice cream this spring and summer
feel free to comment your own favorite places if you don't see it listed here.

rich farms route 66 middlefield- they also have locations in bristol oxford and brookfield
they have a variety of flavors including a rotation of vegan/dairy free and no sugar added
my favorite flavors are the no sugar added mocha and no sugar added lemon all ice cream is made in house including the fresh whipped cream

Frisbies dairy barn - new britain they also have a location in bloomfield and at the parkville market in hartford all ice cream is made on premises including fresh whipped cream and they have vegan dairy free and no sugar added options as well as regular staples the flavors are named after local landmarks and or towns. stewarts cookie dough and farmington fudge are favorites among my family members the no sugar added vanilla is a favorite of mine.

durham dari serv - durham and a location in cromwell under cromwell dari they make flavors in house or use a distributor for some of the flavors, they have a ton of flavor options including no sugar added and dairy free/vegan my favorite is the no sugar added cherry vanilla peanut butter pie is also a favorite among family members of mine.

Le's dari bar- meriden soft serve ice cream with a ton of options rotating flavors of no sugar added vegan dairy free and italian ice/sorbet, they also have chocolate and vanilla on hand always and flavor burst options. my favorite is the sugar free mounds or smores, dipped in chocolate .

Ashley's ice cream with locations in new haven county and surrounding towns amazing ice cream handcrafted right in ct with rotating flavors of sugar free vegan/dairy free they even have sugar free hot fudge. my favorites are the sugar free double double chocolate chip strawberry and coffee.

what are your favorite ice cream spots that should be checked out this summer ?
To be honest, Rich Farms is the only Top one that you even listed! I am a professional ice cream blogger and rate places around the country!

I haven't been to every place yet, but these are the Top 2 in CT I've had: Walnut Beach Creamery in Milford, Arethusa in Litchfield & New Haven. Walnut Beach Creamery has more diversity in flavors and I LOVE it so much! Arethusa is a bit more traditional and you won't find a huge flavor selection, but the dark chocolate ice cream they have is almost unbeatable, and might be the third best ice cream in the whole world I have. I'm saying this as a professional blogger that has been to MANY PLACES around the country! Both of these 2 are in My Top 5 Ice Cream places in the whole world! Probably numbers 3 & 4 to be exact!

Then I'd say Rich Farms and Salem Valley Farms in Salem are in second place.

Ashley's is decent but it's not spectacular.

These following places are on my list to check out this summer: Tulmeadow Farms in Simsbury, Robb's Farm in Glastonbury, Ferris Acres in Newtown, Peaches N Cream in Litchfield, Grassroots Creamery in Granby, a and UConn Dairy Bar. Never personally tried any of those before, but heard great things about it!

Another place you could check out is the Bishop Orchard Creamery in Guilford. That's more comparable to Ashley's. I wouldn't call it top notch, but they have some interesting flavors and combinations. I believe they use Gifford's Ice Cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I haven't had Walnut Beach, but I trust Stylo that it's top level.
I have been to Walnut Beach as well, and it's my Top 2 favorites in CT along with Arethusa, as well as My Top 5 in the world! It's probably comparable to Arethusa. Flavors are more interesting, variety, and fresh, but as a whole, it is really hard to beat Arethusa's dark chocolate specifically. They're pretty comparable, but Arethusa's selection of flavors is limited and only has the traditional ones mostly.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Van Leeuwen in Greenwich on The Avenue.

So far the best ice creams I tasted in CT are from there. They should open in Stamford, maybe down in Harbor Point. Just saying…
Really? How many of the other places mentioned have you tried? Van Leeuwen is decent but it's just one of those more upscale chain ones. It's definitely better than Baskin, ColdStone, Ben & Jerry's, etc, but it's not amazing.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:41 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
To be honest, Rich Farms is the only Top one that you even listed! I am a professional ice cream blogger and rate places around the country!

I haven't been to every place yet, but these are the Top 2 in CT I've had: Walnut Beach Creamery in Milford, Arethusa in Litchfield & New Haven. Walnut Beach Creamery has more diversity in flavors and I LOVE it so much! Arethusa is a bit more traditional and you won't find a huge flavor selection, but the dark chocolate ice cream they have is almost unbeatable, and might be the third best ice cream in the whole world I have. I'm saying this as a professional blogger that has been to MANY PLACES around the country! Both of these 2 are in My Top 5 Ice Cream places in the whole world! Probably numbers 3 & 4 to be exact!

Then I'd say Rich Farms and Salem Valley Farms in Salem are in second place.

Ashley's is decent but it's not spectacular.

These following places are on my list to check out this summer: Tulmeadow Farms in Simsbury, Robb's Farm in Glastonbury, Ferris Acres in Newtown, Peaches N Cream in Litchfield, Grassroots Creamery in Granby, a and UConn Dairy Bar. Never personally tried any of those before, but heard great things about it!

Another place you could check out is the Bishop Orchard Creamery in Guilford. That's more comparable to Ashley's. I wouldn't call it top notch, but they have some interesting flavors and combinations. I believe they use Gifford's Ice Cream.
I finally tried Peaches N Cream and it didn’t do much for us. Both our flavors were overly sweet.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I finally tried Peaches N Cream and it didn’t do much for us. Both our flavors were overly sweet.
Hmm interesting! I haven’t been so can’t comment, but I’ll write a review this summer when I go!

Old 04-24-2024, 07:00 PM

21,627 posts, read 31,221,057 times
When I’m in CT during the summer, we try to hit Rich Farm in Oxford or Ferris Acres in Newtown. Both are phenomenal.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
When I’m in CT during the summer, we try to hit Rich Farm in Oxford or Ferris Acres in Newtown. Both are phenomenal.
I passed Rich Farm today thinking I need to try it again. I found it like B- ice cream when I tried years ago.

Old 04-25-2024, 03:40 PM

21,627 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I passed Rich Farm today thinking I need to try it again. I found it like B- ice cream when I tried years ago.
That’s shocking to me. It’s the best tasting ice cream I’ve had, probably anywhere. The last time we went (September 2023), the line was snaking down the driveway.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:10 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
There’s a little place in the heart of Old Wethersfield we tried last year. Easy to find by the line out the door!

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s shocking to me. It’s the best tasting ice cream I’ve had, probably anywhere. The last time we went (September 2023), the line was snaking down the driveway.
Went last night. It was OK. As I remembered. I had a sweet cream which I felt was far inferior to Arethusa’s, very bland and average texture. She had mint chocolate chip which was better. Will still probably go again if in area but it isn’t up there with the best for us. For a farm, Ferris Acres is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut