Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 08:09 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,654,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Went last night. It was OK. As I remembered. I had a sweet cream which I felt was far inferior to Arethusa’s, very bland and average texture. She had mint chocolate chip which was better. Will still probably go again if in area but it isn’t up there with the best for us. For a farm, Ferris Acres is much better.
As much as I like Rich Farm, I agree, it's not as good as Arethusa. Not many places in CT really compare to Arethusa. Walnut Beach Creamery is the only place I've been to that compares. Although I am excited to try Robb's Farm and Tulmeadow Farms this summer. My gut as an ice cream connoisseur tells me that those two could be up there and challenge Arethusa & Walnut Beach Creamery. If I remember correctly, you haven't been to Tulmeadow or Robb's correct?

How would you say Ferris Acres compares to Arethusa? Never been to Ferris, but I'll hit that place too.

I think what just surprises me is that before you seemed to rate Ashley's above Rich Farm. That is what I don't really get, because I personally feel Ashley's is ok / decent but nothing spectacular. It's not as rich or creamery, and flavor can be a bit too strong at times. That said, I only had the chocolate base flavors there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 08:18 AM

Guys, on another note, keep in mind that Connecticut is one of the most competitive states in the country for ice cream. Meaning, it is one of the states with the MOST TOP QUALITY ice cream places in the country. The best ice cream I've ever had in the world, is NOT in CT, but there's a lot more rivalry and competition between top quality ice cream in CT than you'll find in other states.

Like in Utah for example, I've been to pretty much every ice cream place there multiple times, and there are only about 7 top quality places in the whole state. One new place is opening up in June that I have high expectations of, so that could add to it and be number 8, but for a state as big as Utah, 7-8 is NOT a lot. Connecticut has way more than that.

As a connoisseur & blogger myself, I follow Cohen Thompson on social media. He was famous for trying ice cream in every state. However, I am quite shocked with some of the ice cream places he and his friend actually went to in some of the states, as they are not the Top by any means.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:23 AM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Guys, on another note, keep in mind that Connecticut is one of the most competitive states in the country for ice cream. Meaning, it is one of the states with the MOST TOP QUALITY ice cream places in the country. The best ice cream I've ever had in the world, is NOT in CT, but there's a lot more rivalry and competition between top quality ice cream in CT than you'll find in other states.

Like in Utah for example, I've been to pretty much every ice cream place there multiple times, and there are only about 7 top quality places in the whole state. One new place is opening up in June that I have high expectations of, so that could add to it and be number 8, but for a state as big as Utah, 7-8 is NOT a lot. Connecticut has way more than that.

As a connoisseur & blogger myself, I follow Cohen Thompson on social media. He was famous for trying ice cream in every state. However, I am quite shocked with some of the ice cream places he and his friend actually went to in some of the states, as they are not the Top by any means.
I went to a pretty solid ice cream place in Utah.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/719XBwiuqwjisgMa7?g_st=ic

PS I guess Ashley’s and Rich are about on par for me.

Ferris and Arethusa, hard to say, I’ve had very different flavors from both. I’d need to have them closer together.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I went to a pretty solid ice cream place in Utah.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/719XBwiuqwjisgMa7?g_st=ic

PS I guess Ashley’s and Rich are about on par for me.

Ferris and Arethusa, hard to say, I’ve had very different flavors from both. I’d need to have them closer together.
OMG, I’ve never even heard of that ice cream place before. Maybe because it’s been closed for about a year according to the website. I moved to Utah about a year ago, so that’s likely why. The top quality ones in Utah are: Nils Swedish Creamery, Big Hazy’s, Rockwell, Blacksmith, Brooker’s, Twisted Cow, and The Creamery in Beaver. In June, they’re opening the Thurgood Creamery in Syracuse and I have high expectations of that one.

Old 04-26-2024, 10:53 AM

10,128 posts, read 15,005,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post

For comparison, CT and UT are very disparate in terms of land area, but in terms of the population sizes CT is bigger than UT.

Plus, CT does have a bigger economy and is richer than UT.

There are many other factors that go into whether a place can support X number of ice cream shops, but simply going by size in terms of population and the economy, CT may well be able to support more ice cream shops than UT. That may also translate to CT having more top ice cream places too. Since CT does have a lot less land than UT, the density of ice cream shops at the state level will be higher in CT. That means you can be anywhere in CT and a top ice cream place will not be too faraway. In Utah, well…

https://countryeconomy.com/countries...ah/connecticut

Old 04-26-2024, 11:14 AM

6,936 posts, read 3,771,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
For comparison, CT and UT are very disparate in terms of land area, but in terms of the population sizes CT is bigger than UT.

Plus, CT does have a bigger economy and is richer than UT.

There are many other factors that go into whether a place can support X number of ice cream shops, but simply going by size in terms of population and the economy, CT may well be able to support more ice cream shops than UT. That may also translate to CT having more top ice cream places too. Since CT does have a lot less land than UT, the density of ice cream shops at the state level will be higher in CT. That means you can be anywhere in CT and a top ice cream place will not be too faraway. In Utah, well…

https://countryeconomy.com/countries...ah/connecticut
Better snow, skiing and scenery in Utah. Hands over fists nicer than CT in that area.
You can have the ice cream economy, who cares.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:25 AM

34,959 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Better snow, skiing and scenery in Utah. Hands over fists nicer than CT in that area.
I don’t know, I find our shoreline, greenery and fall colors and charming colonial towns far more attractive than much of Utah. It’s not all snow, skiing and mountain scenery.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:46 AM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
I miss ice cream.

Rolling Moo in Westport is a must especially for kids

Old 04-26-2024, 12:45 PM

6,936 posts, read 3,771,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t know, I find our shoreline, greenery and fall colors and charming colonial towns far more attractive than much of Utah. It’s not all snow, skiing and mountain scenery.
YMMV, I'm not talking about towns and structures, I get that, I know CT folks hold those things near and dear to their hearts. I just find nature and topography much more beautiful, intersting and diverse out west.

As far as ice cream goes, I'm good with just a bowl of Hood chocolate on a rare occasion.
I remember Bosco chocolate syrup as a kid, that was the best.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:04 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Best skiing in US IMO and impressive national parks

New England and Utah are equally beautiful in totally different ways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut