Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
One tall building in the Vista in the wrong spot would screw up the skyline that runs north and south along the Main Street corridor. Height restrictions in the Vista are appropriate.
Now what about OKC with Devon tower, Charlotte when BofA was built, Atlanta with Westin when it was built, Austin when Austonian was built, and West Cola with that big hunk of junk cement condo building. And you and me both know that's about it for the skyline growing with the current state of our DT. And if one building gets built, another will come, and another one and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
One tall building in the Vista in the wrong spot would screw up the skyline that runs north and south along the Main Street corridor. Height restrictions in the Vista are appropriate.
Agreed. As I was approaching from the Gervais street bridge yesterday I noticed the Hyatt and how it sticks out from all the other buildings. I was amazed at what one extra floor can do to a skyline. I didn't mind it so much, as it seemed to add density, but at the same time, any taller and it would screw up the view or seem out of place.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Now what about OKC with Devon tower, Charlotte when BofA was built, Atlanta with Westin when it was built, Austin when Austonian was built, and West Cola with that big hunk of junk cement condo building. And you and me both know that's about it for the skyline growing with the current state of our DT. And if one building gets built, another will come, and another one and so on.
All of those buildings are like smack dab in the middle of their CBDs, not in an adjacent warehouse district.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All of those buildings are like smack dab in the middle of their CBDs, not in an adjacent warehouse district.
They also stuck out when they were built and one still sticks out, people said it ruined the skyline and now it's growing on people. Im not saying high-rises but mid-rises up to 10 stories. Hilton's 8 stories and nobody says anything about it sticking out. A lot of buildings the same height going up in one place doesn't ruin a skyline.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
They also stuck out when they were built and one still sticks out, people said it ruined the skyline and now it's growing on people. Im not saying high-rises but mid-rises up to 10 stories. Hilton's 8 stories and nobody says anything about it sticking out. A lot of buildings the same height going up in one place doesn't ruin a skyline.
The skyline is but one consideration. Architecturally, the Vista isn't really suited for highrises, especially at the street-level.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The skyline is but one consideration. Architecturally, the Vista isn't really suited for highrises, especially at the street-level.
Do elaborate on that. Personally, I love it when I see mix a modern and old in one place while I'm walking, but mainly just the modern, notice I did not say historic. And I always say, the reason something isn't suited for something else is because it's no there yet. Because if you put retail in the bottom of a mid-rise (10 stories) it would be no different then having the one story building that was there before. Also it would provide shade for a better walking experience in the Vista. Look at Boston and Philly, They had/have a lot of old buildings but are still willing to allow high-rises and mid-rises because they know it brings jobs and keeps people living in DT.

I'm sure Main Street wasn't suited for high-rises before ABC Columbia building, Palmetto building (Sheraton), and the Barringer building were built. Also when the first modern building was built on Main Street I'm sure it wasn't suited for that either.

Last edited by SCSUfan; 07-25-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 AM

The ground floor of a lowrise or midrise is typically more human-scaled than that of a highrise. Even for highrises with ground-floor retail, the main entrance tends to be very fortress-like and that's way out of character for the Vista. As far as Main Street goes, the difference is that it has always been a business center so although the newer buildings aren't keeping in character with the more historic buildings, they serve the same purpose.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The ground floor of a lowrise or midrise is typically more human-scaled than that of a highrise. Even for highrises with ground-floor retail, the main entrance tends to be very fortress-like and that's way out of character for the Vista. As far as Main Street goes, the difference is that it has always been a business center so although the newer buildings aren't keeping in character with the more historic buildings, they serve the same purpose.
10 stories is technically a mid-rise, maybe not on Columbia scale, but that is considered a mid-rise in most cities. And Capitol Center now BB&T is technically a high-rise in most cities. But it is subjective also. So you're telling me the retail spaces in New York is fortress-like even though lots of people like it and go to it. Frankly, I'm just trying to bring more people and more business in DT without razing all the old buildings, which everybody seems to want to keep. But the Vista as it gets to capacity will have to change somehow in order to keep growing and so will the rest of DT outside the CBD.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
10 stories is technically a mid-rise, maybe not on Columbia scale, but that is considered a mid-rise in most cities. And Capitol Center now BB&T is technically a high-rise in most cities. But it is subjective also. So you're telling me the retail spaces in New York is fortress-like even though lots of people like it and go to it.
The entrances of those high-rises are fortress-like, yes, even in the historic buildings like the Chrysler Building. The retail spaces themselves are decent but the entrance itself figures prominently into the building:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7517...KQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

I'm not saying that this would deter people from going, but just that this set-up would be out of place in the Vista.

Quote:
Frankly, I'm just trying to bring more people and more business in DT without razing all the old buildings, which everybody seems to want to keep. But the Vista as it gets to capacity will have to change somehow in order to keep growing and so will the rest of DT outside the CBD.
Well places do evolve over time, but right now the CBD isn't even close to full buildout so I don't see why it would be necessary to build tall midrises and highrises in the Vista. Downtown isn't pressed for space like that.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Public input sessions held in the Vista indicated that people wish to keep the district intact as a low- to mid-rise (four to six floors) area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area