Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The entrances of those high-rises are fortress-like, yes, even in the historic buildings like the Chrysler Building. The retail spaces themselves are decent but the entrance itself figures prominently into the building:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7517...KQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

I'm not saying that this would deter people from going, but just that this set-up would be out of place in the Vista.

Well places do evolve over time, but right now the CBD isn't even close to full buildout so I don't see why it would be necessary to build tall midrises and highrises in the Vista. Downtown isn't pressed for space like that.
You're kidding me? Have you not looked at a zoning map and seen where C-5 is for the CBD?

I said mid-rises not high-rises. I'm saying plan for the future. That way we end up like Charleston having sprawl.

Me, I'm a high-rise and skyscraper enthusiast. A lot my friends have said they don't want to stay in Cola because it doesn't have a stereotypical city vibe or look and doesn't have a lot of the things they look for in a place to live. Ex. my teacher took a survey of the class (27 people), out of that 27, 21 raised their hand and said they wanted to move. The people that wanted stay said it was for family. The people that wanted to move said 1. More retail and restaurants 2. Didn't feel/look like a city 3. Nothing fun to do (Amusement parks, large water parks, more big name concerts, etc.) If you divide that by 1300 in the schools that leaves a little over 200 staying and over 1000 leaving. And Innovista and Vista can do a lot of those things to keep/attract the younger crowd and companies which worry about QOL. That is why I'm saying what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Density, multi-story buildings, people at street level, and parks are the primary things that make a city feel like a city, IMO. The Vista is going to get its density, but I agree with the people who want to keep a lower skyline there. DC's buildings look like rows of ice cubes, with an occasional church steeple or slightly higher portion of a building in the form of a tower. That doesn't stop it from feeling like a city.

As an aside, I'll say that I recently spent a ton of time street-viewing Austin because I had applied for a job there for the heck of it and had been contacted via email by the operations manager who said to call by a certain day or she would assume I wasn't interested. I didn't call. The reason I didn't had to do with stuff other than how Austin looks on Street-View, but I will say that I noticed there seems to be no rhyme or reason for where they stick a high-rise. I can't say I like that look as much as the look of a city that protects the integrity of certain districts through architectural guidelines such as the ones in place in the Vista.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Density, multi-story buildings, people at street level, and parks are the primary things that make a city feel like a city, IMO. The Vista is going to get its density, but I agree with the people who want to keep a lower skyline there. DC's buildings look like rows of ice cubes, with an occasional church steeple or slightly higher portion of a building in the form of a tower. That doesn't stop it from feeling like a city.
DC also has more people living in it's DT, more tourist attractions, more jobs, more buildings getting built on old things, and a taller height limit then the rest of Cola. And the negative of DC is it has so much sprawl and so many companies going to the suburbs. But that wasn't the place they wanted to move either. Cola just doesn't have that WOW factor when you come up on it. But I did do a ride around the Vista on a couple of Saturday nights the and I only saw 4 or 5 places that were bustling with business and the other places looked dead. The Vista is pretty much a day place by my observations.

I sound like such a rebel and downer.

No rhyme or reason actually looks pretty good on some cities but also a lot of it is being filled in if you've seemed some of the proposals. But Austin is also one of the fastest and sometimes the fastest growing city in America. And the Austin skyline is looking pretty nice. Same thing could be said for Houston but it's looking pretty good.

Last edited by SCSUfan; 07-25-2014 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
You're kidding me? Have you not looked at a zoning map and seen where C-5 is for the CBD?

I said mid-rises not high-rises. I'm saying plan for the future. That way we end up like Charleston having sprawl.

Me, I'm a high-rise and skyscraper enthusiast. A lot my friends have said they don't want to stay in Cola because it doesn't have a stereotypical city vibe or look and doesn't have a lot of the things they look for in a place to live. Ex. my teacher took a survey of the class (27 people), out of that 27, 21 raised their hand and said they wanted to move. The people that wanted stay said it was for family. The people that wanted to move said 1. More retail and restaurants 2. Didn't feel/look like a city 3. Nothing fun to do (Amusement parks, large water parks, more big name concerts, etc.) If you divide that by 1300 in the schools that leaves a little over 200 staying and over 1000 leaving. And Innovista and Vista can do a lot of those things to keep/attract the younger crowd and companies which worry about QOL. That is why I'm saying what I'm saying.
I don't know how old you are, but most teenagers want to move, even those that live in NYC. It's just the nature of the age group.

I'm a skyscraper enthusiast, too, and I love high-rise buildings. There is still so much are for high-rises in Columbia, though - the east side of Assembly, Main Street and Sumter Street.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I don't know how old you are, but most teenagers want to move, even those that live in NYC. It's just the nature of the age group.

I'm a skyscraper enthusiast, too, and I love high-rise buildings. There is still so much are for high-rises in Columbia, though - the east side of Assembly, Main Street and Sumter Street.
There is a parking garage under the large lot next to Wells Fargo. And it's hard to get churches to sell the lots on Main. After the hospital C-5 zoning ends on Sumter. Looking at a zoning map and google maps there is not much space with C-5 zoning left to build.

Look at how many teens want to move to NY though compared to Cola. I honestly can't think of many teens wanting to come to Columbia. The man at the plan Columbia said it we would have 1.25 million people by 2050 or 2040 (correct if I'm wrong on the Coladata). That isn't much even by today standards. A lot of cities are adding 30,000 and up now days. And Cola is stuck between 7,500-9,000 a year.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:
There is a parking garage under the large lot next to Wells Fargo. And it's hard to get churches to sell the lots on Main. After the hospital C-5 zoning ends on Sumter. Looking at a zoning map and google maps there is not much space with C-5 zoning left to build.

Look at how many teens want to move to NY though compared to Cola. I honestly can't think of many teens wanting to come to Columbia. The man at the plan Columbia said it we would have 1.25 million people by 2050 or 2040 (correct if I'm wrong on the Coladata). That isn't much even by today standards. A lot of cities are adding 30,000 and up now days. And Cola is stuck between 7,500-9,000 a year.
Have you ever noticed how many USC students are from New York and New Jersey? The main problem in South Carolina is low wages and as long as Republicans control the Legislature and the Governor's office, that will continue to be the case. Before someone brings up the fact that Democrats were in control before the 70's - those are the people that switched parties in the 60's and 70's and are now Republicans. The Republican party is all about businesses making more money and not about average citizens making more money.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:33 PM

135 posts, read 167,112 times
I can't be the only one who doesn't want to see Columbia get that large am I? Obviously I want the city to succeed, but I have no desire to live in Atlanta/Charlotte which is what I'm picturing from some of the comments.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,710 times
@palmettosc no worries that won't happen in our lifetime. But...we could get half there if we have a major boom which we possibly are on the cusp of but that's generational change you're talking about re Charlotte/Atlanta.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Quote:

It sounds like you would like living in one of the cities you're speaking of. That said, I have noticed in reading threads from across the nation that every city and metro has its supporters and detractors regarding certain aspects of the city, and the reasons they cite are many and varied. It's a cycle. NYC has posters who want to leave because in their words it's too overcrowded, and it has posters who love it that way and complain because x y or z parcel still hasn't been bought and developed. There are DC posters who call the city world-class when arguing with those who insinuate it's a backwater town compared to NYC, LA, Paris, etc. It's all relative. The bottom line for me is Columbia is home. Not every parcel is going to be developed next year or next decade, nor announced next week or next month. I'm as impatient as the next guy and as frustrated when things are slow to get off the ground or fall through. Again, every forum shows me that every city and metro have such issues. Columbia is doing fine and should continue to do so. Is this the Vista and Five Points thread? Sorry, I lost track.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:40 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Parcels get rezoned all the time, which is why there is a Board of Zoning Appeals. Current zoning isn't this huge obstacle you're making it out to be. And I've never known the surface lot facing Assembly on the same block as Wells Fargo to have a subterranean garage. How/where is it accessed? I'd like to see on Streetview.

Quote:
Teens? Come on man, that's not a good gauge. Surveying college juniors and seniors would be better, but all the things you're talking about really have nothing to do with skylines. Highrises and skyscrapers get built where there's a demand, and that depends on the economy and in a relatively small state like SC, the state is going to have a LOT to do with that. Historically, SC has put a great deal of its eggs in the manufacturing basket as opposed to industries like finance, tech, transportation, etc. Manufacturing isn't an industry that attracts young college-educated professionals and even though Columbia isn't quite as reliant on manufacturing and has a bit more white-collar companies, there just aren't enough professional opportunities for it to compete with the likes of Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, DC, Austin, etc. While it can still do better within the parameters it has to work with, Columbia is doing relatively well for itself. It might not ever become a big boomtown, and that's perfectly fine. It's growing at a healthy, respectable, sustainable rate which a lot of other cities would kill to have--even larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area