Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 11:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times

Advertisements

I'm definitely in the minority on C-D, but having done so many times, I would NOT go too far out of my way to get a glimpse of Grand Canyon. (Very long detours to normal 'thru-trips') I recommend a charter flight, or for those able, a float trip to best enjoy the grandeur of the Grand Canyon. Those are available from easy to get to airports while on other trips (Such as Las Vegas).

There is a lot of scenic beauty in AZ, UT, CO, NM visible from a car, and nearly directly on your planned route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 12:01 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'm definitely in the minority on C-D, but having done so many times, I would NOT go too far out of my way to get a glimpse of Grand Canyon.
Sure if you've seen it a dozen times you probably wouldn't bother.

I mentioned Desert View because it's only a 30 mile (one way) detour from US89.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:33 PM

491 posts, read 396,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Sure if you've seen it a dozen times you probably wouldn't bother.

I mentioned Desert View because it's only a 30 mile (one way) detour from US89.
After speaking to others the trip over to the GC may not be the best for this trip anyway. I mapped out the day from Phoenix to the GC, Kanyeta and so on and it is a 10 hour drive with no stops. I'm told the Kanyeta and Monument is an absolute must see area as well. Hopefully not as crowded as the GC area. The wife is happy that she can now do the GC with me on our next trip out here.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:33 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,712,075 times
If it works and you head up through Kayenta and Monument Valley take a few hours and hire a Navajo guide to take you further into the park or into the neighboring valley of Mystery. There are things you can only access with a guide. All of the park is tribal land and they let you access only a 17 mile loop unless you have a guide. I highly recommend it.
From there I would head over to the four corners, skip the tourist trap at the borders and head into Durango and eventually up the Million Dollar Highway. The San Juan’s are the prettiest IMHO of all the mountains in Colorado. Hit Silverton and Ouray.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
If it works and you head up through Kayenta and Monument Valley take a few hours and hire a Navajo guide to take you further into the park or into the neighboring valley of Mystery. There are things you can only access with a guide. All of the park is tribal land and they let you access only a 17 mile loop unless you have a guide. I highly recommend it.
From there I would head over to the four corners, skip the tourist trap at the borders and head into Durango and eventually up the Million Dollar Highway. The San Juan’s are the prettiest IMHO of all the mountains in Colorado. Hit Silverton and Ouray.
Man you all are killing me. I need another week here. Debating on whether to tell my wife I'll be delayed even longer.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:01 PM

You have long days 14:46 hrs of daylight.

You can get a lot of sightseeing done in 14:46hrs and still be to destination by dark.

In summer I typically GO dawn until dark, and eat / sleep / rest / drive after dark and before dawn.

Start early, stay up late, remain flexible.

You can always sleep during next winter in VA.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
You have long days 14:46 hrs of daylight.

You can get a lot of sightseeing done in 14:46hrs and still be to destination by dark.

In summer I typically GO dawn until dark, and eat / sleep / rest / drive after dark and before dawn.

Start early, stay up late, remain flexible.

You can always sleep during next winter in VA.

Yeah I cannot seem to make up my mind what I am going to do. I keep waffling one way then the other. I may not finally decide until we are there in June and just before the wife flies home.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:14 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
Man you all are killing me. I need another week here. Debating on whether to tell my wife I'll be delayed even longer.

Best tell her now, as I have one that'll surpass the million dollar highway(very crowded on weekends); and it's right on the way to Canon city.

20 minutes east of Montrose is the Black Canyon National Park, the deepest canyon in the state...9th deepest in north America.
And you can drive to the bottom, down East Portal Road; 17% grade!.

To the east again towards Gunnison is the Blue Mesa.
Do NOT speed through here, state police are always on the lookout; as it's a huge recreational area.

Also, on the Pony Express highway; not many places to eat along the way...I brought a lunch for that leg of the journey as options very limited.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Best tell her now, as I have one that'll surpass the million dollar highway(very crowded on weekends); and it's right on the way to Canon city.

20 minutes east of Montrose is the Black Canyon National Park, the deepest canyon in the state...9th deepest in north America.
And you can drive to the bottom, down East Portal Road; 17% grade!.

To the east again towards Gunnison is the Blue Mesa.
Do NOT speed through here, state police are always on the lookout; as it's a huge recreational area.

Also, on the Pony Express highway; not many places to eat along the way...I brought a lunch for that leg of the journey as options very limited.
I vote... Bring her back to CO and use Glenwood Springs / Gunnison as a base and take day trips from there.

Long nights soaking in the hot springs is a plus as a couple, rather than solo.

I really enjoyed a stay at Juanita Hot Springs (off season, we were the only guests for a few days in the lodge or pool)

In the meantime, see what you can fit in, and take notes for future adventures.

Old 04-29-2022, 01:42 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Quote:
I vote... Bring her back to CO and use Glenwood Springs / Gunnison as a base and take day trips from there.

Lake city, off-road capital of Colorado; is a great day trip for couples.
Many places to rent a Polaris, and do the Alpine Loop.
And there's all these historical lookouts with signs explaining volcanic activity and prehistoric people who once lived there; on the road from Gunnison going south.
There's just no way I can simply drive through southern CO. without staying a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado