Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 288 52.17%
Boston 264 47.83%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 03:17 PM

119 posts, read 54,871 times

Advertisements

I can tell BostonBorn’s version of Boston and New England is swept under the rug by the more overreaching WASPY version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 03:20 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkSomeWater View Post
I can tell BostonBorn’s version of Boston and New England is swept under the rug by the more overreaching WASPY version.
I can tell you're insecure. That's twice now that you've had to discredit everyone else now and use one poster's opinions to glorify what you believe in.

Yikes.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:27 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
While this in general is true i don’tsee what exactly that has to do with sports. I might have missed a post?

Old 05-20-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
He said the Sox Yankees was a fabricated rivalry. But ticket prices and viewership would tell him, and you, that you're wrong.

In 2003, the Red Sox won the ALDS. Umass is notorious for rioting, so a major riot ensued.

When the Yankees lost the world series to the Marlins in 2003, after the Aaron Boone homerun/series, you know what happened? Umass rioted again, but this time it was so bad, they had to all-but shut down Amherst and SWAT with military equipment had to help come and clean up the mess.

Whoever doesn't think that was a rivalry is pretty out of touch, or wasn't a baseball fan. To this day, you'll hear "Yankees Suck" chants loouuuddd and clear when the Bruins are playing away games.

Unfortunately, the rivalry and baseball is not what it was even a decade ago.
Naw not that it’s fabricated just that people close to NY didn’t view the Red Sox as a rival on the field, abs weren’t/aren’t concerned with Boston generally. There’s a rivalry It was just way more beneficial for the Red Sox organization to keep that alive during 86 years of losing. That much is obvious. Lining yourself up against the most popular athletic team in the world is no brainer PR. It wasn’t “fabricated” like those weird random rivalries people make up. It was based in something team-the babe Ruth trade and divisional competition.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Naw not that it’s fabricated just that people close to NY didn’t view the Red Sox as a rival on the field, abs weren’t/aren’t concerned with Boston generally. There’s a rivalry It was just way more beneficial for the Red Sox organization to keep that alive during 86 years of losing. That much is obvious. Lining yourself up against the most popular athletic team in the world is no brainer PR. It wasn’t “fabricated” like those weird random rivalries people make up. It was based in something team-the babe Ruth trade and divisional competition.
Yes, as I said before, the Red Sox are like a lamprey to the Yankees. It's brilliant PR on the Red Sox behalf, because the Yankees are arguably the greatest sports franchise in US history.

You make a good point about New Yorkers not being concerned with the Red Sox or Boston in general.

When a "rivalry" is that lopsided, it's not hard to see why.

Quote:
From 1920 through 2003, the Yankees won 26 World Series championships and 39 pennants, compared to only four pennants for the Red Sox. In every year that the Red Sox won the pennant—1946, 1967, 1975 and 1986—they lost the World Series 4–3, leaving them with no World Series titles.[48] During this time, the Red Sox finished second in the standings to the Yankees on twelve occasions—in 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1949, 1977, 1978, and every year from 1998 to 2003.[49][50] During the 84-year period, the Yankees finished with a better regular-season record than the Red Sox 66 times,[49] leading one sportswriter to quip that the Yankees' rivalry with the Red Sox was much like the rivalry "between a hammer and a nail."[51] The Yankees finished second in the standings to the Red Sox twice, in 1986 and 1995.[50]

Old 05-20-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, as I said before, the Red Sox are like a lamprey to the Yankees.

You make a good point about New Yorkers not being concerned with the Red Sox or Boston in general.

Yea as someone raised. Red Sox fan and family in NJ and now many friends and family in NYC I’m not gonna budge on that take-at all. It’s more of a legit rivalry now but the passion died off dramatically after we started actually winning.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Clover View Post
I can tell you're insecure. That's twice now that you've had to discredit everyone else now and use one poster's opinions to glorify what you believe in.

Yikes.
Who? you and mwj?

Two people? Hahaha

I just get tired of the constant white-washed version of Boston that's paraded around here from mwj. He grossly overstates Boston anything. As if nowhere else matters. It's not really valued in real life experiences, at least in mine it isn't. My life experiences between the two cities and this website? Couldn't be more opposite. You'd think Philadelphia was Flint, MI if you go by what he says.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, as I said before, the Red Sox are like a lamprey to the Yankees. It's brilliant PR on the Red Sox behalf, because the Yankees are arguably the greatest sports franchise in US history.

Quote:
Who? you and mwj?

Two people? Hahaha

I just get tired of the constant white-washed version of Boston that's paraded around here from mwj. He grossly overstates Boston anything. As if nowhere else matters. It's not really valued in real life experiences, at least in mine it isn't. My life experiences between the two cities and this website? Couldn't be more opposite. You'd think Philadelphia was Flint, MI if you go by what he says.
This isn’t Boston white washing though, it’s Boston boosting. The white washing is more annoying to me-but there are a lot of Boston boosters I could see how that’s grating but idk if mjw is one of those people..you guys seem to be pretty similar in this argument IMO.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This isn’t Boston white washing though, it’s Boston boosting. The white washing is more annoying to me-but there are a lot of Boston boosters I could see how that’s grating but idk if mjw is one of those people..you guys seem to be pretty similar in this argument IMO.
No, I'm referencing past debates with him about 200 names ago.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
No, I'm referencing past debates with him about 200 names ago.
Oh. Well yea we’re gonna have two different version of Boston and New England for sure. The question I always keep in mind is how much is it white washing if someone is just speaking from their experience and doesn’t really know anything else. Being black is an exercise in duality and existing and navigating two different worlds, If your bright and observant you find the links and connections...being white largely is not an exercise in duality so I don’t approach it as white washing I just inform. I would only feel any type of way if I’m much more familiar and confident with an area or aspect and others try to argue things they truly don’t know about or factually cannot back up. My 2 cents. Y’all can debate away the sports though-I’ve got my popcorn haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City