Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly vs Bos
Philadelphia 288 52.17%
Boston 264 47.83%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 02:08 PM

119 posts, read 54,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Clover View Post
I would agree the Penguins and Blackhawks are more impressive as of late. The Blackhawks also had a long drought of Cups. Speaking historically -- the Blackhawks, Bruins, Habs, Wings, Leafs and Rangers are all more known to be storied than the Flyers. There's a certain aura about being an Original 6 team and you'll find that a lot of hockey fans consider these franchises to be more storied. The Penguins have been pretty successful in the last 30 years with some of the best players ever so they're of course in contention. I'm not saying the Flyers are bad, I just think the Bruins are most storied and I would give the edge to them over the Flyers.

I'm not sure that I'd consider Celtics-Sixers to be the 2nd greatest rivalry in the NBA. Plenty of other franchises are out there that have had their share of rivalries that could easily grab that #2 spot -- Bulls/Pistons, Knicks/Bulls, Celtics/Pistons, Pacers/Knicks etc. The NBA is pretty much one of those sports historically dominated by like 5/6 Franchises (Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Spurs, Warriors are among them).

Yeah... no I don't agree that Yankees-Red Sox is only because of the Yankees. Sounds like you're just trying to discredit the Red Sox. Nice try though. That would be like a Cards fan coming to tell me that my Cubs are only rivals with them because the Cards have historically been such great winners. Nah, doesn't work that way.

I'm really not selling Philly short. It doesn't belong on Boston's level. Sorry.
I’m a Ranger fan and I don’t give a **** about the Original Six. It was dominated by three teams and one person had ownership stake in four of the six teams. The Rangers and Bruins barely won then.

Moderators obviously firewalled my server connection here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 02:11 PM

“The league tolerated monopolistic practices by the owners. At one point, for instance, Red Wings owner James E. Norris effectively owned the Black Hawks as well and was also the largest stockholder in the Rangers.[13] He also had significant influence over the Bruins by way of mortgages extended to the team to help keep it afloat during the Depression. This led some critics to joke that NHL stood for "Norris House League."[13]

The control of owners over their teams was absolute. Players who got on the wrong side of their team owner were often harshly punished, either by being traded out of town or sent to the minors.[citation needed] An example of this is the case of bruising Red Wings forward Ted Lindsay who, after agitating for a players' union, was sent to the last-place Black Hawks. Norris' conglomerate did not invest in Boston, Chicago, and New York; these teams mostly just filled dates for the Norris arenas.[citation needed] A measure of the dominance of Detroit, Montreal, and Toronto in the era can be seen in that between the Bruins' Stanley Cup wins in 1941 and 1970, every single Cup (save for Chicago in 1961) was won by the Red Wings, the Canadiens, or the Maple Leafs, and those three teams failed to make the playoffs only eight times combined in the era.“

Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM

The Red Sox benefit more from the Yankees than otherwise.

The Bruins never won the Cup during the O6 era (1942-1967). They’ve won six times. Three of which are in the last 79 years. (70, 72, 11).

Old 05-20-2020, 02:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkSomeWater View Post
I’m a Ranger fan and I don’t give a **** about the Original Six. It was dominated by three teams and one person had ownership stake in four of the six teams. The Rangers and Bruins barely won then.

Moderators obviously firewalled my server connection here.
Well it seems like that's just you. You can make any argument you want -- I speak on Hockey all the time on various places. There's definitely a glorification among hockey fans about which franchises are storied. The Bruins are often on that list while the Flyers aren't. Further, even if you include the Flyers on that list, I'm not sure why it matters. I think most objective hockey fans that have nothing to do with either the Bruins or Flyers would conclude the Bruins are the more successful, storied franchise when you take everything into account.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The Red Sox benefit more from the Yankees than otherwise.
No I would say it's pretty equal. The Yankees don't really have another rival that's even close. A rivalry is pretty much mutual and is formed because of both teams. That's not usually how it works. You're once again trying to discredit one team over another but that's not how it works. It might work against someone who doesn't know sports though.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well it seems like that's just you. You can make any argument you want -- I speak on Hockey all the time on various places. There's definitely a glorification among hockey fans about which franchises are storied. The Bruins are often on that list while the Flyers aren't. Further, even if you include the Flyers on that list, I'm not sure why it matters. I think most objective hockey fans that have nothing to do with either the Bruins or Flyers would conclude the Bruins are the more successful, storied franchise when you take everything into account.
Good luck on HFBoards saying the Flyers aren’t a storied franchise. There’s even a recent thread on it asking who the other storied franchises are after the O6. Most said Flyers.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
No I would say it's pretty equal. The Yankees don't really have another rival that's even close. A rivalry is pretty much mutual and is formed because of both teams. That's not usually how it works. You're once again trying to discredit one team over another but that's not how it works. It might work against someone who doesn't know sports though.
From 1920-2003, the Yankees won 26 World Series and 39 pennants. The Red Sox won four.

That’s not equal.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Good luck on HFBoards saying the Flyers aren’t a storied franchise. There’s even a recent thread on it asking who the other storied franchises are after the O6. Most said Flyers.
Yes I'm sure if you expanded the list the Flyers would be included along with other franchises like the Oilers, Penguins, etc. Either way, I personally don't think the Flyers are more storied than the Bruins. Nor the Hawks really for that matter.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
From 1920-2003, the Yankees won 26 World Series and 39 pennants. The Red Sox won four.

That’s not equal.
Rivalries aren't measured by World Series rings. If that's the case the Cubs/Cards isn't a rivalry either. That's just stupid talk.

You're not really convincing anyone with any of this anyway, I don't know why you keep trying.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:30 PM

Here’s the thread. Good luck saying the Flyers aren’t storied.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-club.2690073/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City