Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM

329 posts, read 700,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Nonsense. Ask the folks in Belleview WA or Overland Park KS if they need more "tax base to support infrastructure." That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Infrastructure requirements grow exponentially based on population. The more people you have the higher the cost per person for infrastructure. Don't you people know anything?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of anxiety around the growth (or lack thereof) of the city. I really don't agree with this. Bigger is not better. Really. Its a fact. Look it up. Larger cities have disproportionately larger problems. Everything from crime to environment to health. I'm perfectly happy for Cincinnati not to grow at all, even to shrink.

The economic truism to be applied here is that "if want more of something, subsidize it, if you want less of it, tax it." I wouldn't spend the first dollar to support the homeless. I would de-fund publicly funded housing. I'd ditch the two stadiums and say good byye to the sports teams. And, of course, to the slave center. And, why increase taxes? Do we want less income earners here? Less payroll? That is what you get when you increase taxes.
Why would you want a city to shrink?!?!

I know plenty of cities that are larger that offer a better standard of living than smaller ones. Flint, Michigan is a huge dump that compares nothing to say Minneapolis or Portland. If a city shrinks, sometimes it leaves only the criminals and people living in poverty behind that don't do anything for a city but bring it down because they don't have the means to leave.

If Cincinnati can grow and bring in new, educated residents, that will do nothing but great things for the city.

Cincinnati is an awesome city, and I always have fun when I am down there. With all the development happening in the city now, the streetcar will add to that immensely. I think the naysayers would be shut up if this thing was up and running and they could see the success that these things bring.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Ask the folks in Belleview WA or Overland Park KS if they need more "tax base to support infrastructure." That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Infrastructure requirements grow exponentially based on population. The more people you have the higher the cost per person for infrastructure. Don't you people know anything?
No offense, but Bellevue, Washington and Overland Park, Kansas are suburban cities that have grown from, in large part, sprawl. Bellevue, Washington has done plenty of wonders lately, though.

The differance with Cincinnati, it has a built environment for a lot more people. The city is trying to keep up with this infrastructure with a lot less people. Overland Park is built to serve the population at its peak as of recent.

These other posters seem to know a lot more about what they are talking about. Do you travel much? That is a serious question. I don't know you, but when you mention those two places over other examples, it's kind of interesting to say the least. And do you really need to insult people assuming they "don't know anything."...

Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
80 pages and here we go again...

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
80 pages and here we go again...
Yea, it is a slap your in the face type of topic people just can't resist chiming in on and being authoritative with all the answers.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
I too think it's time to close this thread.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati