Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 PM

912 posts, read 1,526,019 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Cincinnati for his job. I've visited a few times, but am mostly unfamiliar with the city and surrounding suburbs. As requested, here are the answers to the Cincinnati Newcomers questions:

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? Yes
. What specific topic have you not found answers to? I guess just more specific information relating to our housing needs.

. Where is you current location and environment? A suburb outside of Memphis, TN -- the suburb is a incorporated town itself and largely a bedroom community, but very close to the interstate with easy access to the center of the city. Not walkable, but close to some restaurants, grocery stores, other retail.
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? Similar, but maybe a bit more walkable and/or with a greater variety of shops and restaurants nearby (close driving distance if not walkable). Safety is very important because I'm paranoid (and honest about it!).

. Where will your work location be? Loveland
. Maximum commute time desired? 45 minutes, an hour if the location is really ideal. The less time, the better.

. What is you budget for housing? If we rent, up to about $1200/month. If we buy, somewhere up to $160k (maybe a little bit more for an exceptional house.)
. Rent or buy? Open to either, but we own our house now and I do prefer it to renting.
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) Either a single family home or a condo/townhouse with at least a small patch of grass (we have a dog).
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 3 bedroom (master needs to be a good size because we have huge furniture), 2 bathroom at the minimum. Indifferent about a basement because we don't have them in the South.
. Other specifics? We'd prefer a fully fenced yard because of our dog. Also, a house with a garage would be nice.

. Neighborhood environment? Mostly quiet -- families and young couples (we're in our late 20s, no kids yet and likely not for a few more years).
. Urban, young professional, nightlife Young professional, with maybe a fun bar/pub or two nearby.
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment Any of these things, as long as it suits our other requirements.
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere Yes, tentatively, to all of these things. We like to go out to eat, maybe have a drink or two at a bar, but then come home and relax while watching a movie. I'd prefer a quieter neighborhood.
. Family oriented We don't have kids and don't plan to have them for at least another 2-3 years, so it's not of prime importance yet.
. Lots of same age kids, activities No kids yet.
. Great schools Would be nice, for resale and if we do stay in the house long enough to have school-age kids.
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character I love houses like this, husband is a little less enamored, but would be open to it for the right house.
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready Definitely needs to be move-in ready -- needing a new coat of paint is fine, needing kitchen cabinets ripped out and a wall knocked down is not.
. Diversity of income, race, housing? Good with anything as long as it's safe.
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) Small/medium.
. Very safe, low crime area? Yes. I'm a paranoid lunatic about safety.
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? I can tolerate minor things -- mailbox vandalism, theft of things in the yard -- but anything else is a firm NO.
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities Nice, but not at all necessary.

. Schools? Good ones, for resale value and with an eye to the long-term future, but not of personal importance to us right now.
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district?
. Diverse student body?
. Strong athletics?
. Consider Private schools?
. Special considerations?

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc. It would be nice to have a few restaurants and shopping within easy walking distance, but I would also settle for easy driving distance (5-10 minutes).
. Town/city community center for adults & kids Don't have it now, but would be nice, though not necessary.
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities See above answer.
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs Would be very nice.
. Close promity to public transportation? If Cincinnati has nice public transit, yes (Memphis does not, so it's not even a consideration down here.).
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues Parks would be nice.
. Jogging & biking trails I guess I'd have to take up biking or jogging, ha! Kidding aside, my husband is a jogger and would appreciate something like that. Our neighborhood here doesn't have sidewalks, so my husband is often dodging traffic to run.
. Other?

. Specific wants/desires? I think this survey pretty well covered it.
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM

26 posts, read 61,007 times
Loveland itself and Montgomery seem like good options for you. Montgomery is in the Sycamore school district which is quite good. You might be priced out but if you can find something in your price range jump on it. Both loveland and Montgomery have nice walkable town center areas but Montgomery has a couple bars with more of a yuppie crowd. I usually recommend young professionals w/o kids move into the city but your heightened safety requirements make me think the suburbs are a better option. If you can find something in your price range, Mariemont or Madeira might be good. You could definitely find a place in Fairfax or Deer Park - Fairfax is in a better school district and closer to fun bars, but it is also closer to a rougher area.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,983,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasinDweller View Post
Loveland itself and Montgomery seem like good options for you. Montgomery is in the Sycamore school district which is quite good. You might be priced out but if you can find something in your price range jump on it. Both loveland and Montgomery have nice walkable town center areas but Montgomery has a couple bars with more of a yuppie crowd. I usually recommend young professionals w/o kids move into the city but your heightened safety requirements make me think the suburbs are a better option. If you can find something in your price range, Mariemont or Madeira might be good. You could definitely find a place in Fairfax or Deer Park - Fairfax is in a better school district and closer to fun bars, but it is also closer to a rougher area.
Good suggestions here, I suggest you also add Blue Ash to your mix. It has quite a bit of traffic congestion, but a nice walkable town center and there should be some houses at least close to your price range. Also in the excellent Sycamore school district.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,851 times
You said a walkable area would be attractive....hubby works in Loveland....so I recommend downtown Loveland which has some nice restaurants and shops with housing up to $160k. You would be next to the bike trail, too.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,851 times
Another area to consider is near downtown Milford. Plenty of housing in your price range, decent downtown, and close to hubby's work.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,028,553 times
If move-in readiness and modernity are both essential, then I must agree with BasinDweller on recommending Montgomery for your consideration. Nevertheless, as was already mentioned, this community (along with beautiful Madeira, Mariemont, and Loveland) can become pricey. If you're willing to look at an older, established community (as BasinDweller also mentioned), Deer Park is a hidden gem (quiet, walkable, near major shopping, safe, and on a major busline that goes downtown). Some people consider it one of the metro's "Mayberry" suburbs, but maybe that's just what you're looking for...

All these communities have at least one thing in common--none of them are terribly far from Cincinnati's premier suburban shopping mecca, Kenwood Town Center. Needless to say, this gigantic northeastern retail complex presents its own set of traffic problems, but it draws from all the communities surrounding it. (No one's indifferent to it; you'll either love it or hate it.) If glitter and glam are your thing, you'll undoubtably be spending time here.

Another suburb needs mentioning--and that's Oakley. It's a dynamic older community with good vibes, shopping, and eating places abounding! And it adjoins two of Cincinnati's most desirable, prestigious neighborhoods--Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout. So much has been expressed in other threads about Oakley and environs that I'm not going to add anymore here, except to confirm that if walkability, retail, entertainment, safety, and public transit are tops on your list, so should be this established neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,947,710 times
i like loveland itself for most of your requirements. with 160k, montgomery (& symmes twp), blue ash, madeira, mariemont, and to a lesser degree mason are out, especially given your need for something move-in ready. because of the lower population density, you're not going to find as good of public transportation out in the 'burbs, but otherwise you'll be good.

living where you work is a huge boon for quality of life. but if you're not finding the house you want in loveland, consider maineville or milford. milford would be my preference because of the old town, but that is just me.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,983,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i like loveland itself for most of your requirements. with 160k, montgomery (& symmes twp), blue ash, madeira, mariemont, and to a lesser degree mason are out...
Hardly. 53 properties currently on the MLS with listing price under $180K in Blue Ash. And presumably those won't go for the full asking price.

Not that it's the only choice, just happens to be the one I mentioned.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM

912 posts, read 1,526,019 times
Thanks, everyone! This is so helpful.

I'm absolutely willing to look at older and established communities, motorman -- my husband isn't opposed to an older house as long as it's in good shape. He would prefer a garage, but I think that's negotiable for the right house.

If we decided to rent an apartment for awhile, any complexes in these towns that we should definitely look at OR avoid?

Appreciate everything, so much!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,819,055 times
I would definitely look at the areas closer to Loveland if that is where the husband will be working. Loveland itself has an older section near the river plus a newer section which is sprawled out. Milford in the same, since it is the same river (Little Miami). I would look very intensely in those two neighborhoods, as (1) there is a diversity of home ages, sizes, and prices, (2) they would both make a reasonable commute time, distance, and expense. I have expressed before living close to where you work is pure heaven. Also, both Loveland and Milford have decent school systems.

Some of the other areas which are been suggested are certainly doable, but that does not make them enjoyable. Good luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati