Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 24,270 times

Advertisements

No Colerain is not a bad place, but a great suburb is a little bit of a stretch. You don't find schools like Colerain High in Indian Hills, or Mason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempel20 View Post
Cincinnati is doing a great job coming back from the problems of 2001. Cincinnati has a good and growing economy, diverse economy, growing population, and a bustling downtown, great suburbs, and history Austin wishes it could have.

Wow, This is news to me. Yes, since the 2001 riots, which brings up another point, when was the last time Austin or Philly had a riot? There are no longer any restaraunts or bars in the downtown area, they have all moved to Covington. Uh, and the growing economy, that's hilarious. The economy has been stagnant since we stopped slaughtering pigs downtown. Great suburbs, I am sure you are not referring to Western Hills, North College Hill, Northside, Mt. Airy, Colerain, Price Hill. We have two nice suburbs, Mason, and Indian Hills, and you have to be a multi-millionaire to live in either.
I was just watching a show called "what you get for the money" Austin was in the top 5 for real estate booms in the country. Do you have any idea what you are talking about, or do you just type for the heck of it. I'll tell you what, come take a walk with me through OTR, Avondale, Golf Manor, Lower Price Hill, Bond Hill, North Fairmount, English Woods Projects, and then tell me we have nothing to complain about. Walk a day in our shoes, College students at UT at Austin are going to national championships, students at UC are getting mugged and raped.
Are you serious? Where are you getting your facts from? No restaurants downtown? LOL I guess 41 million dollars into Fountain Square and the 5 start restaurants that have went in there don't count? Oh ya, and Macy Inc's new corporate headquarters downtown dont count?

Philadelphia and race riots? Are you serious. Philadelphia 1964 race riot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia had over 400 murders last year, the most in the nation. Have you watched the news lately. They had a report on the crime in Philly, and how it was affecting not only the neighborhoods, but the whole city. You seem to know the facts on Austin, but not in Cincinnati. I have been through OTR, the new developments there are amazing, and the new groups of people moving in, the new condo units. Check out a thread made earlier called Over the Rhine is looking good. Just a few of the great things happening there. UC is one of the most modern urban campuses in the country, the best architecture program in the nation, and many other great accomplishments. I am sure nothing has ever happened at the UOT, yeah right!

University of Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats ok, I will sit back and enjoy the growth and development in the BILLIONS of dollars Cincy is enjoying, starting with the Banks project that breaks ground tommorow, have a great day!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 PM

1. Sorry about the Philly reference, they definitely have their fair share of problems. Although 1964 was quite some time ago, not to mention who DID NOT have a race riot in the 60's. My dad told me a story about him sitting on his porch in North College Hill watching the National Guard patrol the "Steel Sub" because of racial tensions.
2. Excuse me for over-exaggerating, sure there are some new restaraunts going into downtown, while many more have boarded up and left. Also the vast majority of restaraunts do not last eight months much less a year.
3. I think I will pass on jumping onto the Banks projects bandwagon for now. I know everyone is excited, and God knows we need it to work, but I have my reservations.
4. Fountain Square, really, Seriously, Seriously, I grew up in Western Hills, I could'nt name one person who goes to fountain Square other than at Christmas time (once) to see the lights.
5. Seriously, on the UT comment, I am sure something bad happened in Mayberry once also, but it is still a little safer than the Fay Apartments.
Oh yeah by the way please save the OTR is such a beautiful and vibrant place for a tourist who does not know any better. That is the same crap that realtors and marketing people are spouting out, I'll tell you what let's all meet at the corner of Liberty and Race, then tell me how great OTR is.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:57 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
2. Excuse me for over-exaggerating, sure there are some new restaraunts going into downtown, while many more have boarded up and left. Also the vast majority of restaraunts do not last eight months much less a year.
Sorry, man but there are about 20 new restaurants/bars, not 5.

... and many are passing the 1 year mark.

Can you please tell me where you see a "boarded up" restaurant location? I can only think of one.

Please -do tell!

Quote:
3. I think I will pass on jumping onto the Banks projects bandwagon for now. I know everyone is excited, and God knows we need it to work, but I have my reservations.
There's nothing as far as scale and importance in the midwest outside of Chicago ... what part of "ground breaking" are you having an issue with?

Quote:
4. Fountain Square, really, Seriously, Seriously, I grew up in Western Hills, I could'nt name one person who goes to fountain Square other than at Christmas time (once) to see the lights.
LOL ... Fountain Square gets slammed. There are many, many, many events that take place on the newly renovated square. Remember guys, every Friday they have free bands with alcohol sales in the spring/summer be sure to check it out! Go to Cincy Images | Cincinnati Skyline & Neighborhoods and then the Cincinnati photo gallery and then Fountain Square. Wow.

Quote:
Oh yeah by the way please save the OTR is such a beautiful and vibrant place for a tourist who does not know any better. That is the same crap that realtors and marketing people are spouting out, I'll tell you what let's all meet at the corner of Liberty and Race, then tell me how great OTR is

LOL ... man you are on a role! At that location you pointed out, you'd see millions of dollars worth of renovated condos (Gateway Quarter) along with a 5-floor $72 million dollar SCPA across the street (only one of it's kind in the country).

Building Cincinnati: SCPA photo update, 2/16/08

Where have you been bro?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 AM

1. You absolutely positively cannot see the gateway quarter project from Liberty, and Race. That project is on the corner of 12th and Central Parkway. Once again come meet me there, at night and I will prove it to you.
2. I fully understand the meaning of "ground breaking," Do you understand the meaning of project completion? Have you ever heard of the Big Dig?
3. You are absolutely right on the Fountain Square issue, I was being a little selfish. It is a fun night on the town with friends, I am sorry.

Don't get me wrong as a third generation Cincinnatian, and of German descent, there is nothing I would like more than to see OTR revitalized with historical preservation. The fact is, there are 1200 structures in OTR and over 500 of them are abandoned. I am not sure of your familiarity with OTR, but I used to help my uncle rehab some section 8 properties down there, and these places, definitely have to be torn down before any normal person would live there. By the way I would not wish that job on my worst enemy. While I am happy for the Banks and the Gateway Quarter projects I am still skeptical about their sucess. I'm not sure where you are from in Cincinnati, but you sound like that person who lives in the suburbs, and comes down for a reds game, and to go to the zoo once a year.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 AM

hempel20, you are correct about the Liberty reference. My apologies ... for some reason I was thinking of Central Parkway when I read that!

Quote:
While I am happy for the Banks and the Gateway Quarter projects I am still skeptical about their sucess.
Too late! The GQ is already a success! I am a real estate agent and if you'd like I can pull the data for you and send it to you, but I'll need an email address. I could try to post it here, but it will probably be broken up.

With the Banks, even 6 months ago, that was the furthest that we've ever come and we sure haven't ever broken ground on it! The Baltimore Harbor took over 30 years and look at it now ... give it a chance before you condemn it!

Quote:
I'm not sure where you are from in Cincinnati, but you sound like that person who lives in the suburbs, and comes down for a reds game, and to go to the zoo once a year.
I live off of Liberty in downtown.

(Actually, it's the suburbanites that sound the most negative more times than not)

Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Good points, but I am definitely not condemning the projects, I am rooting for them 1,000%. I just hope it works out, along with street cars. Yes, you are correct it usually is the suburbanites who put everything down, and they are the reason why our city is struggling. They use our city for jobs, and then run back to the suburbs before dark.

Don't worry about the Gateway Quarter Project stats I am now well aware that they are a great success. I graduate from the University of North Florida in a year, and am moving back to Cincinnati; that would have been a great place to live, but they are mostly sold out. Hopefully there will be more to follow.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Good points, but I am definitely not condemning the projects, I am rooting for them 1,000%. I just hope it works out, along with street cars. Yes, you are correct it usually is the suburbanites who put everything down, and they are the reason why our city is struggling. They use our city for jobs, and then run back to the suburbs before dark.

Don't worry about the Gateway Quarter Project stats I am now well aware that they are a great success. I graduate from the University of North Florida in a year, and am moving back to Cincinnati; that would have been a great place to live, but they are mostly sold out. Hopefully there will be more to follow.
Ha! I know, many of those units "sold before sent" ... If I weren't holding out for a high-rise condo building, I'd move there in a heartbeat!

Amen to the suburbanites comments! I was just listening to some of the idiots on 700WLW today ... so clueless.

When are you moving back?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca1 View Post
I just wanted to start a thread about something thats been bothering me for a while. I just moved to Cincinnati not long ago, but I've visited many times and I've spent alot of time driving and walking around, so I feel I know a little about the city. My problem is that almost everyone on the posts say that Cincinnati is full of crime, only a couple of neighborhoods are safe, buy a bullet proof vest, and most of all live in the suburbs.
Biggest problem in Cincinnati is dealing with the snobbery of the East Side, especially Hyde Park, Montgomery, Kenwood. Pretentious and rude, self-absorbed and boring. That's the real danger, a lot more worrisome than the risk of getting mugged.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 AM

254 posts, read 983,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Thank god! The real cheerleaders for the City have spoken! This post was great to see since I agree there are too many people saying bad things about Cincinnati. It seems like I spend more time defending my neighborhood than anything and it is frustrating. It makes me angry when people think they know my neighborhood better than they do. I have a great 1890 home in a great neighborhood, with wonderful neighbors in a great location. Who could ask for anything more--not me--I am perfectly happy and SAFE in my neighborhood and City.

I dont consider myself a cheerleader for Cincy, but come on people, compared to other cities of this size Cincy IS NOT dangerous! I do agree crime is definitely worse than 30 years ago, but that is the case in EVERY city! I grew up in Silverton, and back in the day the only place I was a little leery of was Norwood, due to the racial tensions...today, there is no place that I am "scared to go or drive thru", now there are a few spots that I would rather not have my car break down especially after dark. I attend church in Avondale, and yes its rough over there, but as a previous poster said, you just use your head, and choose your routes carefully,depending on the time of day. I know for a fact in other large cities, there are neighborhoods you dont go into, whether it be day or night,...being in Cinti, this is light weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati