Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM

74 posts, read 281,893 times

Advertisements

This city is one of the safest I know of, people in the Burbs are just too paranoid to spend even a little time in a slightly run down area. They don't understand the character of a place and prefer the manicured lawns and faux mainstreets out in former farmland. I live in the neighborhood just to the south of the Univ. of Cincinnati and feel perfectly safe every night. Be smart in urban areas and if you're not drunk walking by yourself at 3 a.m. chances are nothing will happen. Be smart and you'll be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM

30 posts, read 150,696 times
Please -give me a break- what's next- you are going to tell me that "traffic is bad" in Cincinnati.

Now here this from Philly, PA (my current residence after living in Cincy for 8 years):

Cincinnati has low crime outside of the areas of poverty or drug dealing.
I have lived in NYC and Philly outside of Cincinnati and NEVER in Cincy did I feel unsafe, never did my car get ripped off or broken into, never did I feel driving home at 3 AM that I was in any danger.

Philly is known as "Murderdelphia" where, even there, there are plenty of neighborhoods that are VERY safe.

Cincy- you got it good- little traffic and low crime and pretty scenery- ENJOY- life is short!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayy View Post
Please -give me a break- what's next- you are going to tell me that "traffic is bad" in Cincinnati.

Now here this from Philly, PA (my current residence after living in Cincy for 8 years):

Cincinnati has low crime outside of the areas of poverty or drug dealing.
I have lived in NYC and Philly outside of Cincinnati and NEVER in Cincy did I feel unsafe, never did my car get ripped off or broken into, never did I feel driving home at 3 AM that I was in any danger.

Philly is known as "Murderdelphia" where, even there, there are plenty of neighborhoods that are VERY safe.

Cincy- you got it good- little traffic and low crime and pretty scenery- ENJOY- life is short!!!
umm...cinci has bad traffic...not the worst by far, but to say traffic ain't bad just isn't true.

i think it's called killadelphia...and according to the last fbi report released, cinci and philly had identical murder rates around 30 per 100,000.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:29 AM

59 posts, read 228,508 times
HIllside, we moved to Cincy two years ago, and we love it. Every city of a size has crime - you're debating minutiae on which is the worst. I go to Finley market regularly and know people who live in Over the Rhine, quite contentedly I might add.

I can't express how fond we have grown of Cincinnati. I visit NYC annually. Love to visit. Don't want to live there. Cincy gives you the best of both worlds - a city, urban, thriving businesses, with all the attractions, arts, etc., but with a small-town feel. We're starting to think about hunkering down here for the long haul. GREAT place to live.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:05 AM

40 posts, read 207,319 times
Cincinnati is not a dangerous city. Over the Rhine gets a lot of bad press, but inroads are slowly being made, and even the Enquirer has given some of that work good press - which is shocking. Having seen the rough parts of Chicago, Miami, Detroit, DC, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, even Birmingham, I laugh that this is even a topic. I do not think the city has ever been in the top 15 of any list produced by Morgan Quitno, and that is even skewed. Law enforcement experts point out some of the nuances, such as comparing cities with legacy boundaries to those that have annexed many suburban areas, thus diluting the numbers.

This is not to say there is not crime, but even with 89 murders (for example) in 2006 the city is still not close to the traditional winners in this category. This number actually dropped to 65 in 2007, which was a nice improvement. The other thing to consider is that most of those killed were killed by being involved in some type of activity they should not have been. There is a smaller group that is made of domestic issues - such as a spouse, roommate or family member. Very few are random. So if you do not buy, sell, do drugs; hang out with the wrong crowd; or really **** someone off who happens to have a killing streak you should be fine. And really, like any city, know your surroundings.

Last edited by QueenCty; 03-30-2008 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM

267 posts, read 722,476 times
there's a lot of shooting in northfair mount.. and yes over the rhine is another bad place
i watch the news.. detroit is a bad place my girlfriend use to live in lansing MI
and it was bad there

Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 AM

180 posts, read 566,136 times
Um... I was mugged by a gang of 5 men downtown. My friend had a man climb into his car with a gun, beat him, and stole his wallet in OTR. My best friend was robbed at gun point in Clifton. I get emails from UC administration all the time about a raping or a stabbing or both. And being male does NOT exclude you from being raped. What about the woman that was raped because she was sleep walking on Taft? There's a new side effect for Ambien to list: may cause you to be raped.

Cincinnati is not safe. At all. However, after living there for 7 years, when I go to other cities they seem remarkably safe. The worst area of town in Austin where I live now is comparable to... Hyde Park, but for Latinos. lol.

Don't kid yourself. We all know it's not safe. You WILL get the **** end of the stick at some point. There's some great effort at spreading the "mind over matter" mentality, and hopefully that'll be enough to turn things around. If there was just a tiny bit of effort by city council, OTR could be a real cool bohemian-like place for artists. Now that would be a nice turn around.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Um... I was mugged by a gang of 5 men downtown. My friend had a man climb into his car with a gun, beat him, and stole his wallet in OTR. My best friend was robbed at gun point in Clifton. I get emails from UC administration all the time about a raping or a stabbing or both. And being male does NOT exclude you from being raped. What about the woman that was raped because she was sleep walking on Taft? There's a new side effect for Ambien to list: may cause you to be raped.

Cincinnati is not safe. At all. However, after living there for 7 years, when I go to other cities they seem remarkably safe. The worst area of town in Austin where I live now is comparable to... Hyde Park, but for Latinos. lol.

Don't kid yourself. We all know it's not safe. You WILL get the **** end of the stick at some point. There's some great effort at spreading the "mind over matter" mentality, and hopefully that'll be enough to turn things around. If there was just a tiny bit of effort by city council, OTR could be a real cool bohemian-like place for artists. Now that would be a nice turn around.
Cincinnati is quite safe compared to other cities, even its size too. You don't seem well traveled at all. Have you been to Detroit, St Louis, Philly, Dallas, and I know Austin has its crime problems. You seem to sugar-coat everything Austin. Cincinnati is doing a great job coming back from the problems of 2001. Cincinnati has a good and growing economy, diverse economy, growing population, and a bustling downtown, great suburbs, and history Austin wishes it could have.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 24,270 times
Cincinnati is doing a great job coming back from the problems of 2001. Cincinnati has a good and growing economy, diverse economy, growing population, and a bustling downtown, great suburbs, and history Austin wishes it could have.

Wow, This is news to me. Yes, since the 2001 riots, which brings up another point, when was the last time Austin or Philly had a riot? There are no longer any restaraunts or bars in the downtown area, they have all moved to Covington. Uh, and the growing economy, that's hilarious. The economy has been stagnant since we stopped slaughtering pigs downtown. Great suburbs, I am sure you are not referring to Western Hills, North College Hill, Northside, Mt. Airy, Colerain, Price Hill. We have two nice suburbs, Mason, and Indian Hills, and you have to be a multi-millionaire to live in either.
I was just watching a show called "what you get for the money" Austin was in the top 5 for real estate booms in the country. Do you have any idea what you are talking about, or do you just type for the heck of it. I'll tell you what, come take a walk with me through OTR, Avondale, Golf Manor, Lower Price Hill, Bond Hill, North Fairmount, English Woods Projects, and then tell me we have nothing to complain about. Walk a day in our shoes, College students at UT at Austin are going to national championships, students at UC are getting mugged and raped.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM

267 posts, read 722,476 times
colerain isn't a bad place i live behind northgate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati