Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,947 times

Advertisements

First of all Hillside, DO you REALLY know why th CPD is under FBI investigation????

Most social services are in county budgets...not cities...so you tell me why Cincinnati is to blame for that...

As for the pools...they make that complaint every year. Do YOU know why? Because CRC is a non profit and they want people to donate to their program...and guess what? People do every year and THAT is why the pools are open..not because anything that useless mayor has done.

You dont know this City as well as you claim too. THAT has been my arguement with you this whole time.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:36 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
First of all Hillside, DO you REALLY know why th CPD is under FBI investigation????

Most social services are in county budgets...not cities...so you tell me why Cincinnati is to blame for that...

As for the pools...they make that complaint every year. Do YOU know why? Because CRC is a non profit and they want people to donate to their program...and guess what? People do every year and THAT is why the pools are open..not because anything that useless mayor has done.

You dont know this City as well as you claim too. THAT has been my arguement with you this whole time.
cincinnati and it's satellite cities that rely on the success of the city (hamilton county) have been a dwindling tax base for decades.

racial profiling and improprieties in how the department handles its paperwork.

you like to accuse and make demands. stop this, you don't know that. it's becoming petulant.

cincy rise, cleveland, cincinnati and stl are utopias? need i say more about this guy...

Old 06-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cincinnati and it's satellite cities that rely on the success of the city (hamilton county) have been a dwindling tax base for decades.

racial profiling and improprieties in how the department handles its paperwork.

you like to accuse and make demands. stop this, you don't know that. it's becoming petulant.

cincy rise, cleveland, cincinnati and stl are utopias? need i say more about this guy...
I dont accuse or make demands but I wont sit here and let you say things about this CIty, where I live, and make others think things are so terribly wrong. I'm not the ONLY person who disagrees with your posts. Population is growing, crime is down, racial profiling..seriously...is Cincinnati the only place that has been accused of that? This City is only as bad as you CHOOSE to view it. Yes there are idiots running this City but it is up to the people who LIVE here and VOTE to get people in who really know what they are doing and how they are going to move this City in the right direction.
Now this is about Gangs, not our p-ssing contest.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I dont accuse or make demands but I wont sit here and let you say things about this CIty, where I live, and make others think things are so terribly wrong. I'm not the ONLY person who disagrees with your posts. Population is growing, crime is down, racial profiling..seriously...is Cincinnati the only place that has been accused of that? This City is only as bad as you CHOOSE to view it. Yes there are idiots running this City but it is up to the people who LIVE here and VOTE to get people in who really know what they are doing and how they are going to move this City in the right direction.
Now this is about Gangs, not our p-ssing contest.
things are terribly wrong, and it's obvious seeing how plain columbus is and it's in so much better shape than cincinnati, a clearly more interesting and entertaining city. we just see things differently. imo mallory is a good mayor and an infinite upgrade over drunkie uncle luken. again, you say you won't let me to do something, as if i'm not allowed to say what i believe and have learned about the city. others disagree, but some agree too. i know plenty of folks that agree with me and more, but they aren't relevant, the facts are.

cincinnati is top 3 in poverty
the city has major social issues
cincinnati and hamilton county are too corrupt to do anything. did you see crowley posturing for unions this week, trying to hold up the new skyscraper?
hamilton county has a third world infant mortality rate
cincinnati has long been one of the most segregated cities in the country
the schools are terrible and 25% of all black males in cincinnati have a diploma
housing is a big health and equity problem
the city has been ran by imbeciles for decades
the police, water works, the foster system, etc. ad nauseum. can't say it enough, i love the city, but sometimes when you love something so much that's so disappointing, it disgusts you.

gangs do exist in cincinnati, but not on the scale or organizational level of major gang cities. cincinnati is just generally a violent city, like philly or some others.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Hell yes! They are old, cool, have soul, on the rebound, have personality, full of character, incomparable, historic, reminiscent, have deep roots, and stories flow out of them from generation to generation.

Cities can grow and develop great economies and produce population growth constantly, but they can never imitate soulful cities such as these. Cities fall and cities rebound. It's a cycle, but Indianapolis, Columbus, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Jacksonville will never, ever have what St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati, Philly, NYC, Boston, and Milwaukee have ... nor could they ever even begin to try.

Could St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati, Philly, NYC, Boston, and Milwaukee ride "that new wave" of the new-new, on what's hip and happening and "in" ... Absolutely.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 PM

205 posts, read 984,014 times
Quote:
things are terribly wrong, and it's obvious seeing how plain columbus is and it's in so much better shape than cincinnati, a clearly more interesting and entertaining city. we just see things differently. imo mallory is a good mayor and an infinite upgrade over drunkie uncle luken. again, you say you won't let me to do something, as if i'm not allowed to say what i believe and have learned about the city. others disagree, but some agree too. i know plenty of folks that agree with me and more, but they aren't relevant, the facts are.

cincinnati is top 3 in poverty
the city has major social issues
cincinnati and hamilton county are too corrupt to do anything. did you see crowley posturing for unions this week, trying to hold up the new skyscraper?
hamilton county has a third world infant mortality rate
cincinnati has long been one of the most segregated cities in the country
the schools are terrible and 25% of all black males in cincinnati have a diploma
housing is a big health and equity problem
the city has been ran by imbeciles for decades
the police, water works, the foster system, etc. ad nauseum. can't say it enough, i love the city, but sometimes when you love something so much that's so disappointing, it disgusts you. <snip>
If we blame the "city" we don't have to blame ourselves or people we know or people who look like us, do we?

We can just kind of sit back and point fingers - without, of course, having the vaguest notion of what the solutions to the problems, if any, actually are.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
if We Blame The "city" We Don't Have To Blame Ourselves Or People We Know Or People Who Look Like Us, Do We?

We Can Just Kind Of Sit Back And Point Fingers - Without, Of Course, Having The Vaguest Notion Of What The Solutions To The Problems, If Any, Actually Are.
Very Good Post!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Very Good Post!
Yes, so true! I had to give a "rep point" for this one!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
If we blame the "city" we don't have to blame ourselves or people we know or people who look like us, do we?

We can just kind of sit back and point fingers - without, of course, having the vaguest notion of what the solutions to the problems, if any, actually are.

no one is blameless; we're all culpable. but we vote for those who claim to have the vision, means, determination and integrity to add on to what's good and turn around what's bad. the problem is, cincinnati hasn't had but a handful of quality politicians in the last 30 years, and even the good few haven't been able to dent the good 'ol boy network that runs the city (into the ground).

education brings jobs, lowers crime and improves neighborhoods

social equality in city departments, law enforcement, transportation, civic projects, employment and education would go a long way in relieving tension in the city, creating opportunities for the working class and curbing crime.

a large bill appropriating $1 trillion to the dept. of education for public schools distributed by historical need, not lobbying, would be the single best move this country could make. $454 billion went to iraq without anyone blinking...

it was reported in the enquirer this week that the country is spending about half as much on transportation, around 125 billion. that number should go up to 400 for one reason, among others - transportation projects take too long. stimulating the economy through elongated projects does not financially make sense when an elastic product is provided by an inelastic service that finances itself through taxes and earns through diversified impact figures.

creating a stronger mayoral system is dancing with the devil, but it works in chicago, boston, new york and las vegas. the red tape that is city council needs to be cut and as far as council goes, less members equals less money-grabbing and grandstanding.

the hamilton county commission should be a three-man weave with one slot designated for the mayor of cincinnati. you'd have to pay the mayor a lot more, but the days of a powerless city run by subjectivist county foolery would be numbered.

there are answers to be found, i just don't know if the people in charge are looking.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 PM

205 posts, read 984,014 times
Quote:
no one is blameless; we're all culpable. but we vote for those who claim to have the vision, means, determination and integrity to add on to what's good and turn around what's bad. the problem is, cincinnati hasn't had but a handful of quality politicians in the last 30 years, and even the good few haven't been able to dent the good 'ol boy network that runs the city (into the ground).

<snip for brevity>

a large bill appropriating $1 trillion to the dept. of education for public schools distributed by historical need, not lobbying, would be the single best move this country could make. $454 billion went to iraq without anyone blinking...

<snip for brevity>

there are answers to be found, i just don't know if the people in charge are looking.
I agree that Cincinnati "hasn't had but a handful of quality politicians".

But, unfortunately, I think we tend to get what what we elect if, in fact, we even bother to vote. And if we don't make any effort to look behind the campaign slogans and make any kind of attempt to understand what the issues are and where the candidates really stand, then I think we probably get what we deserve.

BTW, do you really think that Federal employees and/or politicians would be capable of administering a grant of $1 trillion to the Department of Education?

What makes them any more competent than the locals that you seem to hold in low regard? And woud you really trust them to figure out whatever the heck "historical need" means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati