Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times

Advertisements

city pop.

cincinnati - 370,000

miami - 408,000

chicago - 2,834,000

you guys want to rethink this?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:51 PM

hamilton has ghettos and violence, but a murder rate around the national average.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM

86 posts, read 415,915 times
I may currently reside in Butler County but I lived in Hamilton County for over 30yrs. The gang related/violent homicides arent always r/t drug and negative things. My son is a prime example of that. I do agree that Cincy is lacking re: opportunities and culture which is what most people do complain about....along with the crime, horrible schools etc......

Old 05-27-2008, 01:42 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
city pop.

cincinnati - 370,000

miami - 408,000

chicago - 2,834,000

you guys want to rethink this?

"MISSING CITIES
This year, several cities of 75,000+ population did not report complete crime information and thus were not included in the Safest Cities rankings.
Chicago and Other Illinois Cities: For several years, rape numbers submitted by cities in the state of Illinois have not met the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) guidelines. This remains the case with 2005 crime data. According to state statisticians, the state of Illinois tracks "sexual assault," which includes not only female rapes, but also offenses such as male rape, sodomy, etc. For these reasons, Chicago and other Illinois cities once again are not found in this year's Safest City rankings. However, Chicago and other Illinois cities are included in our book City Crime Rankings for all of the other crimes.
In the past, our award has received criticism because it omits Chicago in its rankings. While we understand this concern, it is our view that it is more important that rape be considered an important crime and kept in our methodology. However, to see how Chicago might fare in our rankings, we calculated a separate, internal ranking that took rape out of the formula. Under this scenario, Chicago came in as the 52nd most dangerous city."

Methodology

Hillside, how are you gathering your Chicago crime stats? Can you post a link?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMelRN2007 View Post
I may currently reside in Butler County but I lived in Hamilton County for over 30yrs. The gang related/violent homicides arent always r/t drug and negative things. My son is a prime example of that. I do agree that Cincy is lacking re: opportunities and culture which is what most people do complain about....along with the crime, horrible schools etc......
I am sorry for what happened to your son, I really am. Please re-read my post. I never said "all" incidents are related to the reasons I mentioned upthread, I said most... Which is statistically correct. Actually 90% is the figure. I would say that this fits within the "most" column.

You chances of being killed on I75, I71, or I275 are much, much greater than being shot by a stray bullet without having any relationship to gangs or drugs.

From the Hamilton County Coroner:

Quote:
However, in the majority of the city's homicides, authorities say the suspect and victim knew each other.

The Hamilton County coroner says 90% of the cases were drug-related.

"It's just not one factor," said Dr. O'dell Owens. "Its the guns, the [lack of] education and the drugs and the family unit. A lot of things we have to work on."

Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMelRN2007 View Post
I do agree that Cincy is lacking re: opportunities and culture which is what most people do complain about....

You living in the suburbs and Butler county do not help your argument here much.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
"MISSING CITIES
This year, several cities of 75,000+ population did not report complete crime information and thus were not included in the Safest Cities rankings.
Chicago and Other Illinois Cities: For several years, rape numbers submitted by cities in the state of Illinois have not met the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) guidelines. This remains the case with 2005 crime data. According to state statisticians, the state of Illinois tracks "sexual assault," which includes not only female rapes, but also offenses such as male rape, sodomy, etc. For these reasons, Chicago and other Illinois cities once again are not found in this year's Safest City rankings. However, Chicago and other Illinois cities are included in our book City Crime Rankings for all of the other crimes.
In the past, our award has received criticism because it omits Chicago in its rankings. While we understand this concern, it is our view that it is more important that rape be considered an important crime and kept in our methodology. However, to see how Chicago might fare in our rankings, we calculated a separate, internal ranking that took rape out of the formula. Under this scenario, Chicago came in as the 52nd most dangerous city."

Methodology

Hillside, how are you gathering your Chicago crime stats? Can you post a link?
i don't have stats, cincy-rise. nice that you took time to post what i already said though. if chicago was more dangerous than cincinnati, that would place it firmly in the top ten. philly is the most dangerous of the 1 million and up club, and it's about as dangerous as cincinnati, usually a spot above or below in the fbi lists the last few years. 2007 hasn't been released yet.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM

86 posts, read 415,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
You living in the suburbs and Butler county do not help your argument here much.

What difference does it make if I live in the suburbs? Im confused I moved to the suburbs so my kids could have a decent education...Lakota school system has done wonders. My dtr graduates this w/e so it's time for us to move now...LOL. Prior to moving out here I had a house in Silverton and left because I noticed alot of gang activity and just a general decline of the neighborhood. Now that I want to move back into the city alot has changed esp with the "used to be" nice neighborhoods. Some up and coming neighborhoods have been pricey Hyde Park, Mt Lookout and even small parts of Oakley. It just amazes me how quickly neighborhoods have declined. I honestly believe that the destruction of the laurel homes area, the increasing problems of drugs/gangs/violence, along with the economy have alot to do with some of this. Portland & Charlotte sound real nice right about now...LOL j/k.

btw Cincy yes i did misread your post....TY Im sorry also

Old 05-28-2008, 03:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,624 times
^Um i live in Silverton and have so for 30 years. I have never seen any games. I feel very safe here. There was one double murder a few months back. That was the first murders in 10 years. Silverton is nothing like it's neighbor Kennedy Heights. What is your criteria of a gang? 3-4 people walking down the street with a basketball in their hands???

Old 05-28-2008, 05:57 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,947 times
When I was young, we walked the neighborhood for something to do. I think a lot of time, people who are paranoid about crime see kids now a days walking around or hanging out in neighborhoods and think of them as gangs. I DO NOT think there is a Gang problem in Cincinnati or the surrounding areas. I know there are young kids who try to make their own neighborhood gangs, but those cannot be taken seroiusly. If you would yell BOO in front of most of them they would run home to their mommies. There are areas some peopel might like to claim as theirs to sell drugs but most neighborhoods stay on top of those things and they can be ran off pretty quickly with a little assistance from the police & neighborhood groups. THis is not some big coverup or conspiracy or denial...there are no gang probelms in Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati