Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times

Advertisements

It's clear he doesn't care about Cincinnati, or Cleveland for that matter. He mouthed off at Kentucky after Omnicare moved from Covington to Cincinnati, saying he's the governor of Ohio and not the region. But what does he care? He doesn't live in this city and doesn't have to deal with any ramifications and hard feelings that the move created.

He stripped Cincinnati of the funds that would have allowed the streetcar to link The Banks with uptown, as originally planned. His actions have resulted in the city scrambling to construct a much shorter route. Some of the money that he took from Cincinnati instead went to his wealthy home district in suburban Columbus.

In his recent State of the State address, which was nothing short of a debacle, Kasich said California is "filled with a bunch of wackadoodles."

Classy, governor. Keep it up!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
The Zuillily move is much dirtier than has been reported. It, like his other business attraction efforts, went like this:

1. Kasich gets massive tax cuts for poached business with the understanding that
2. Poached business will realign many of its accounts to businesses owned by Kasich supporters

Specifically, my company (which is in Ohio) lost a fairly large account to Zullily in Hebron. We also send trucks every day to Columbus, but we are losing the account because Kasich's country club buddy has a business that does the same thing.

That's Kasich in a nutshell. And his legions of followers are too stupid to figure out what's going on, and if you tell them, you're the bad guy.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The Zuillily move is much dirtier than has been reported. It, like his other business attraction efforts, went like this:

1. Kasich gets massive tax cuts for poached business with the understanding that
2. Poached business will realign many of its accounts to businesses owned by Kasich supporters

Specifically, my company (which is in Ohio) lost a fairly large account to Zullily in Hebron. We also send trucks every day to Columbus, but we are losing the account because Kasich's country club buddy has a business that does the same thing.

That's Kasich in a nutshell. And his legions of followers are too stupid to figure out what's going on, and if you tell them, you're the bad guy.
I by no means like Kasich. I agree I do think that this Zulily move to Columbus from Cincinnati metro is interesting. I also pointed out earlier that Zulily wanted out of their UPS contract, thus causing the layoff of nearly all of the UPS-Hebron workforce.

The company could have set up their "in house" distribution center anywhere within the region, that made business sense. You can't really be mad at Columbus for being the chosen place of location. In the end it's better than the company not moving in state.

Columbus is a distribution hub of sorts at this point and that is something that isn't changing anytime soon. The city/state/and feds funded a massive redevelopment of the old Rickenbacker Airforce Base into a intermodal distribution hub through the 2000s. Some do not know this.

I do think the issue of Cincinnati's metro being in 3 states can harm it when it comes to state policy.

Any governor is likely to favor only businesses within the state. It puts Cincinnati in a tough situation: IE Does an Ohio governor offer incentives for a business to keep a contract in Kentucky? Or do they try to bring the business into the actual state of Ohio and thus increase employment, future tax revenue within the state.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:41 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^Alot of those jobs are workers from Ohio.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:59 AM

368 posts, read 638,772 times
the cincinnati enquirer will be printed in columbus soon,anyway i dont think kasich is liked by any city in ohio..to think he purposely steers jobs to columbus is ridiculous..his main goal is reelection..what possible motive would he have ..he has reduced state government jobs drastically in columbus.he need all areas of the state to support him if he wishes to be reelected

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
the cincinnati enquirer will be printed in columbus soon,anyway i dont think kasich is liked by any city in ohio..to think he purposely steers jobs to columbus is ridiculous..his main goal is reelection..what possible motive would he have ..he has reduced state government jobs drastically in columbus.he need all areas of the state to support him if he wishes to be reelected
Agreed, I don't think Kasich gives a crap about Columbus, either. His main goal is helping out personal business friends and touting fake successes. The man is just awful for the state overall.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Agreed, I don't think Kasich gives a crap about Columbus, either. His main goal is helping out personal business friends and touting fake successes. The man is just awful for the state overall.
Ya i agree. If it seems that he cares more about Columbus, it may just be that he has business ties in columbus. As others have pointed out he has cut state jobs, in Columbus, and turned down any funding for Columbus to finally be linked by rail again. Columbus is now the largest city with no rail transport and that's sad. He didn't care to fix that.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
It's clear he doesn't care about Cincinnati, or Cleveland for that matter. He mouthed off at Kentucky after Omnicare moved from Covington to Cincinnati, saying he's the governor of Ohio and not the region. But what does he care? He doesn't live in this city and doesn't have to deal with any ramifications and hard feelings that the move created.

He stripped Cincinnati of the funds that would have allowed the streetcar to link The Banks with uptown, as originally planned. His actions have resulted in the city scrambling to construct a much shorter route. Some of the money that he took from Cincinnati instead went to his wealthy home district in suburban Columbus.

In his recent State of the State address, which was nothing short of a debacle, Kasich said California is "filled with a bunch of wackadoodles."

Classy, governor. Keep it up!
You mean the streetcar that would never have enough ridership to justify the cost? Like all other mass transit projects, it's a money waster no matter how "cool" it might be.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Lets not forget that it was John Kasich, and partly Gingrich, not so much Clinton, that was one of the big names responsible for the balanced Federal budgets of the '90s.

The guy probably knows a bit more about what he's doing than people think, although the cronyism is a bit out of hand. However, if you're trying to suggest that Strickland or any other prior governor didn't have the same sorts of business arrangements, you're sadly ignorant.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 AM

860 posts, read 1,357,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
You mean the streetcar that would never have enough ridership to justify the cost? Like all other mass transit projects, it's a money waster no matter how "cool" it might be.
Being that the streetcar is only the first phase of a much larger transit plan, I think that assumption is premature, and short sighted. Ridership alone, doesn't determine the success of transit lines, and every city in Cincy's range (Twin cities, Charlotte etc...) that have opened light rail lines, have exceed their initial expected ridership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati