Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:18 AM

976 posts, read 3,862,330 times

Advertisements

I really like Kentucky and the cities of Louisville and Lexington are great. But the state is facing some high unemployment rates at the moment and poverty in the eastern section of the state is really bad, including Lexington. Now around Newport and Covington, they are doing well because of Cincinnati. Im glad to see Covington's skyline grow. It shows great growth on both sides of the border. An image you dont want is St. Louis, MO to East St. Louis, IL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 11:31 AM

63 posts, read 280,339 times
Paintballer wrote: "Now around Newport and Covington, they are doing well because of Cincinnati. Im glad to see Covington's skyline grow. It shows great growth on both sides of the border."

The growth in northern Ky. IS doing well because of Cincinnati....because people have been bailing from Cincinnati. They are trying to rejuvinate downtown, and I hope they do turn things to stem the flight to surrounding areas. All city government officials need to have the following posted on their desks: "It's the CRIME, stupid.", because until they get a handle on that the crowds wont come. It doesn't matter how nice the area is, how nice the river is, how nice the skyline is, etc. People have to feel safe when they live there or visit, and they don't anymore. How many large retailers are left downtown? How many bars/night spots are left in Over the Rhine, which was starting to show some life again?

Old 11-25-2006, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 16,253 times
We live in Liberty Township. Schools are great. Taxes and home prices a little lower than Mason. I'd say, for a family moving to Cincinnati area, West Chester, Liberty Township and Mason are best choices.
Great atmosphere for family, and relatively nice home values.
Most suburbanians do not venture to downtown, except to watch Carson and the Bengals, due to crime rates.
Avoid Colerain area. Not good schools there.
Good Luck.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne
The growth in northern Ky. IS doing well because of Cincinnati....because people have been bailing from Cincinnati. They are trying to rejuvinate downtown, and I hope they do turn things to stem the flight to surrounding areas. All city government officials need to have the following posted on their desks: "It's the CRIME, stupid.", because until they get a handle on that the crowds wont come. It doesn't matter how nice the area is, how nice the river is, how nice the skyline is, etc. People have to feel safe when they live there or visit, and they don't anymore. How many large retailers are left downtown? How many bars/night spots are left in Over the Rhine, which was starting to show some life again?
Actually its not only people from Cincinnati headed to Covington and other communities, but i see many from eastern Kentucky leaving the poverty and small town life for Mariemont, Cheviot Hills, and Norwood all north of Cincinnati. Right now OTR is seeing some investment from large corporations in downtown, esp Procter and Gamble. Cincinnati is not seeing corporations leave downtown, they are seeing them come in. The downtown population is growing with all the new constrution, and with The Banks project and Queen City phase 2 the number downtown will just boom even more. Crime has left the downtown greatly, not saying none at all, but what major city can say that? That is the city's main priority, taking care of the crime, and it is working. Cincinnati is only looking in one direction, and that is up.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM

146 posts, read 789,612 times
JCI345,

The census data you posted is outdated. In response to Cincinnati's challenge of its estimates, the Census Bureau revised them. They now estimate that 331,310 is the population of the city. You can real all about it here: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/NEWS01/610300350/1077/COL02 (broken link)

As for the weather, what you said about Cincy's weather could be said about any city in the Midwest. Compare Cincy's climatological data to other major Midwest cities and you will see that Cincy has the mildest climate in the Midwest. Talk to people who moved to the Cincy area from places such as Cleveland (where I lived for 27 years before relocating to Cincy), Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis, and they'll get a good laugh out of your thinking that Cincy's weather is so bad.

As for downtown, I go there all the time and feel perfectly safe. However, I'm talking about the CBD and the riverfront. I do not consider OTR to be part of downtown. I agree that OTR has a long way to go before it could be considered safe.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:40 PM

Subway is 110% correct about the Census Bureau and the challenging of the census. Not only did Cincinnati win the challenge, but the city itself also gained population from the last census taken. Cincinnati is starting to grow, and the downtown??!!!!!??? Cincinnati has billions pouring into the downtown. Its not dead, dangerous, or failing. Its prosperous and very safe. Im sorry, but the people who constantly bash Cincinnati seem to have no idea what they are talking about, or know the facts. They are basing facts on their opinions of the place.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,610 times
Cool Still Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Subway is 110% correct about the Census Bureau and the challenging of the census. Not only did Cincinnati win the challenge, but the city itself also gained population from the last census taken. Cincinnati is starting to grow, and the downtown??!!!!!??? Cincinnati has billions pouring into the downtown. Its not dead, dangerous, or failing. Its prosperous and very safe. Im sorry, but the people who constantly bash Cincinnati seem to have no idea what they are talking about, or know the facts. They are basing facts on their opinions of the place.
Paintballer, I appreciate your love for this City. I was born and raised here and I've lived in many places (Cheyenne, WY, LA and Atlanta). Cincinnati's ultra-conservative attitude is killing it. The crime is a result of the racial tension and fear-mentality. It's like a temper-tantrum of 1000 degrees. If blacks are not hired, they can't feed their family and pay rent. Cincinnati is very parochial - we'll only hire "our" kind . Why isn't the place diverse yet? Even Hispanics will barely move here. The main newspaper headlines cited "What Are We Doing Wrong?" as a comparison to the closest major cities to Cincinnati. The people here are either mean, snobby, fearful, aloof, homely/plain, bigot, or just idiot. I have not seen the "billions" pouring into downtown. What little progress is going on is a bandaid -to keep conventioner dollars coming in. Covington is booming because tranplants find the view better and lower taxes. The city decided to build a $200 million football stadium while most the schools were falling apart. Now that most people are leaving and have left; now they decide to build new schools...but there are NO kids to fill the classroom!!!! Once again we're being taxed the crap out of again. There are stupid people running the city and county. Procter & Gamble is the culprit! Current and former (and their children) P&Gers run this town. If you like the Bengals or the Reds, I can't think of any other reason why someone would WANT to move here. Cincinnati, in my opinion, has nothing to offer. The suburbs have NO culture - just the mall and the movie theater (if you call that culture). The entertainment here is movie theaters and a German beer house - in Newport. The Aquarium is in Newport, KY!!! There are only 3.5 malls here with the best anchor being Macy's or JCPenney- what the h***?! The Contemporary Art museum barely attracts anything - the Maplethorpe incident killed that (thanks to Simon Leis - Sheriff Yosemite Sam). Topographically, it sits in a stagnant, stank valley where the air does not circulate so everyone has serious sinus and allergy problems. It donesn't help that it's a factory-town either. I like to end on a positive note, however. I am moving as soon as I can sell my house.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 AM

187 posts, read 918,925 times
Dgreen:

Take my advice, don't come to Cincinnati. Your are better off in Atl or the south in general unless you plan to stay with the company for the rest of your life. Jobs in Ohio come and go and this place has no real idea about moving forward as a whole. Cincinnati is in many ways behind other major cities and we lack the entertainment complex that surrounding cities enjoy. Unless you want to travel far distances just to enjoy life beyond work, this is not the place for you. We have also experienced a huge reduction in population. People are either moving to Kentucky or furher south. Trust me, Atl has more to offer.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:51 AM

146 posts, read 789,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
Dgreen: We have also experienced a huge reduction in population.
Simply not true! The population of the Cincinnati metro area is at all-time high of 2,070,441. That represents a 3% increase from 2000 to 2005. http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/Estimates%20pages_final.html (broken link)

As for the city of Cincinnati itself, the population decline that it experienced has ended: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/NEWS01/610300350/1077/CO (broken link)

I have no doubt that Atlanta has more to offer than Cincinnati - it certainly should considering that the Atlanta metro area is nearly 2.5 times as large as the Cincinnati metro area - but the 'more' also includes crime, traffic congestion and costs of living.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:52 AM

187 posts, read 918,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
Simply not true! The population of the Cincinnati metro area is at all-time high of 2,070,441. That represents a 3% increase from 2000 to 2005. http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/Estimates%20pages_final.html (broken link) WOW 3% increase so big to small minded Cincinnatians...umm...no wonder why we are so behind other major cities.

As for the city of Cincinnati itself, the population decline that it experienced has ended: [url]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/NEWS01/610300350/1077/CO[/url Let's talk about why we lost population in the first place and the fact that there is no real effort on behalf of elected officials or citizens to prevent such events from happening again.

I have no doubt that Atlanta has more to offer than Cincinnati - it certainly should considering that the Atlanta metro area is nearly 2.5 times as large as the Cincinnati metro area - but the 'more' also includes crime (Cincinnati has experienced an all-time high crime record), traffic congestion and costs of living.
I mean we should be honest, Cincinnati is only a place to work, work, work, then die. Nothing here but a few 'here and now' activities which is why I am joining those who have made the voyage to the south....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati