Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:48 PM

64 posts, read 315,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2live View Post
I would NOT move to Cincinnati if you don't have to. I have lived here over a year and luckily I am moving soon. Crime rates are very high, the weather is very undesirable, and the people are very rude. I have lived in TN, TX, KY and loved all of them. Cincinnati is a pit and has nothing to offer. Rethink your thoughts of moving here. I don't know anyone from another state who likes Cincinnati or Ohio for that matter!
Run--Wow you really seem like you are having a tough time here. I know that Cincy has its crim eproblems but compared to other major cities we are pretty good. And growing up as a military brat I have seem ruder people. I would say that the mid-west has the nicest people. I hope you love where you move to next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 09:00 AM

9 posts, read 24,285 times
I LOVE Cincinnati. If you want a community with older homes, a great school system, where your kids bike to school and come home for lunch.. consider Terrace Park. Cincinnati is an incredible place to raise a family. TP isn't cheap though.. but what you get for lack of size in house is a community and a lifestyle your kids will one day thank you for.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxgal View Post
Run--Wow you really seem like you are having a tough time here. I know that Cincy has its crim eproblems but compared to other major cities we are pretty good. And growing up as a military brat I have seem ruder people. I would say that the mid-west has the nicest people. I hope you love where you move to next.
A couple things would help Cincy dramatically.

First, a mayor like Rudy Giuliani. Second, a better representation system for city council. Third, cops that aren't afraid to ARREST CRIMINALS. Fourth, perhaps a Columbus-type annexation agreement with Dehli and Anderson townships-leave the same school district, etc. but annex them to the city. Would help the tax base and perhaps allow the city to impose a tax CUT overall since some much higher-income areas would be enveloped into the city limits and they could afford to do it.

Old 10-03-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Hairmetal4ever for GOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
A couple things would help Cincy dramatically.

First, a mayor like Rudy Giuliani. Second, a better representation system for city council. Third, cops that aren't afraid to ARREST CRIMINALS. Fourth, perhaps a Columbus-type annexation agreement with Dehli and Anderson townships-leave the same school district, etc. but annex them to the city. Would help the tax base and perhaps allow the city to impose a tax CUT overall since some much higher-income areas would be enveloped into the city limits and they could afford to do it.
Wow -- maybe you should think of ditching the mortgage biz and go into politics!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxgal View Post
Wow -- maybe you should think of ditching the mortgage biz and go into politics!!!!!!
Someday...someday. Perhaps when I'm older (I'm just 29.)

I'm a suburbanite myself, so one might call this hypocritical, but it's not. First, the city and it's suburbs are a family. The benefit of one can, and should, be to the benefit of another. I use Columbus as an example.

The primary reason people often don't want to live within the city limits is schooling. The city schools suck, and I really don't know how to improve them. In the meantime, any annexation/merger deal would come with the condition that no school boundaries are changed. Also, property taxes could be reduced since the new city residents in the former townships will now pay income tax (of course some who work in Cincy already do so now.) If done smartly we can lower their overall tax burden while increasing city revenue.

These areas already have Cincinnati mailing addresses, and Cincy utilities in many cases. The only change is who their elected officials are-which is a bit issue since most people in Hamilton County know how corrupt and poorly-run the city government currently is. So, before any annexation plan can take place, the City must reform it's entire structure, in the ways I have mentioned, to make the idea more palatable to the residents of the townships. That is the only way the residents would be even possibly willing to vote "Yes" on such an idea.

The Cincinnati police have become afraid of the criminals since the 2001 riots. It should be the other way around IMHO. The good citizens should never fear the police, but the criminals SHOULD! There's a healthy balance between police that couldn't care less about a crack deal down the street and cops arresting old ladies for spitting on the sidewalk.

By annexing Springfield, Green, Delhi, Anderson, and Columbia Townships, (I guess "merger" is the correct term if we mean to take the entire townships into the city, like Pataskala did in Fairfield County) we add about 170,000 people to the city proper (assuming the population counts of these townships do NOT include the municipalities created within them,) bringing the in-city population back near a half million, and add nearly 90 square miles to the land area, bringing it to about 170 square miles, near the size of Columbus. While this doesn't change anything, the neighborhoods are the same, schools are the same, etc, it gives the city a better appearence as the population of the city proper will now increase at about the same rate Columbus has or slightly lower. Take the police and fire stations of the former townships and make them new precincts of the Cincy police and fire departments (after reformation of the Cincy police as previously mentioned) and voila!

The areas within Columbus that were formerly suburban townships are still in the good school districts that they were and are still as safe and up-and-coming as they would have been otherwise (and probably more so since C-Bus annexed the land PRIOR to development in many cases.)

I also think Colerain should consider incorporation, or perhaps the communities within it like White Oak ought to do that. That's a different story, for a different day.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:10 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,936 times
I just moved to Cincinnati and i have found the complete opposite of what you just said. The economy is booming, the city is great, crime had dropped greatly and the police are working on lowering it even more. My neighbors are very friendly and the people of Cincinnati are very nice and helpful. I work with someone from Nashville, TN. They are so happy to be out of that state. They say there is a lot of poverty there. I have no idea. I went there about 15 years ago. Dont have an idea of what it was like. Cincinnat is a great booming city with very nice people. You cant find to many cities with great views of a great skyline like Cincinnati.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
I just moved to Cincinnati and i have found the complete opposite of what you just said. The economy is booming, the city is great, crime had dropped greatly and the police are working on lowering it even more. My neighbors are very friendly and the people of Cincinnati are very nice and helpful. I work with someone from Nashville, TN. They are so happy to be out of that state. They say there is a lot of poverty there. I have no idea. I went there about 15 years ago. Dont have an idea of what it was like. Cincinnat is a great booming city with very nice people. You cant find to many cities with great views of a great skyline like Cincinnati.
What I just said, or the original poster? All I meant was that the problems Cincy does have can be made better. I didn't mean that it was that bad to begin with. Strides have been made, and all I'm saying is that Cincinnati can take a few lessons from Columbus. It IS a great city that's why I might move there. I'm just making observations.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:37 PM

976 posts, read 3,861,936 times
^Im sorry i didnt say that to you. Sorry that you thought that. I meant that to RUN2live. Very sorry you thought that. Good luck if you move here. If you need anymore info, please feel free to ask.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
Someday...someday. Perhaps when I'm older (I'm just 29.)

I'm a suburbanite myself, so one might call this hypocritical, but it's not. First, the city and it's suburbs are a family. The benefit of one can, and should, be to the benefit of another. I use Columbus as an example.
Well I do not know if you know this but the city of Cincy is trying so hard to get people to move into the city that they have a 50 year tax abatement. So we you have so many people leaving the city and no funds from taxes that makes things very hard.
But then you have Mason,Maineville & West Chester which have very upper income people there and they all pay a pretty heafty amount in property taxes and they can not manage the fund properly to support the schools.
So I think what we need are politicians that really care about the people and not so much there image.

Last edited by Yac; 10-04-2006 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: quote cut

Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,548 times
I can't stand this whole area >.>

The education is horrible, there are no jobs, and everyone seems to be stuck in the 80's.. Although I have only lived here a year and a half, I lived in DC before and it was MUCH better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati