Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 AM

682 posts, read 1,579,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run2live View Post
I don't know anyone from another state who likes Cincinnati or Ohio for that matter!
I like Cincinnati and Ohio and I'm from Oregon, but since I don't know you, I guess your comment stands.

I think Cincy is a nice area, but I don't think their downtown area is as good as many other metros that are similar in size. It's OK, but considering that the metro area is over 2 million, it could/should be a lot more vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 PM

40 posts, read 207,319 times
Here is some information about downtown:
Downtown Cincinnati. Go to town.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,802 times
As a former resident who has moved on, I've found that people either love Cincy or hate it. I'll never move back, but it's a good mid-sized midwestern city. It's not a good place if you don't like snow or if you can't live without the large city lifestyle of the northeast or Cali.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 PM

8 posts, read 27,142 times
I love Cinncinati. Lived there long time ago and knew beautiful people.Moved to Australia and hate it here.
Hope to move out soon......somewhere......in the World!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
I currently live in ATL but I may have a job offer in Cincy coming soon.

Never thought I would ever live in OH, so any information would be appreciated like cost of living, crime, real estate, schools, etc, etc.

Thanks!
Got several pieces of good news for you: NO kudzu in Cincy area. We have probably as many Waffle Houses up here. The I-275 is a LOT more sane than the I-285, even on a bad day! And we don't care what y'all do down South!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I dunno ... With climate changes, kudzu could be on its way!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,025 times
Downtown is wonderful. Architecture is incredible. Lush green hillsides surround downtown. Cool restaurants tucked around town offer some of the finest foods. Fantastic events every week of the summer. Many live band venues. Over seven live performance theaters all within walking distance of each other. A truly great public library. Multiple art gallery shows every month. One of the nation's best outdoor markets, Findley Market is one of my favorite weekend haunts. But what makes this city unique is the small downtown footprint compared to other cities. There is not a day when I walk downtown that I do not run into someone I know. Which makes it such a great community to me.

Right now is an excellent time to invest in Over-the-Rhine. If you do not believe me, see for yourself and see the developments with your own eyes. It surprises me how quickly a community can be transformed. Every month a new place is opening. A building is being renovated. More people have moved in. It really is astonishing to me. I honestly did not think it would happen in my lifetime. When street cars once again start running up past Washington Park and the new construction plans is completed. This will be one of the most beautiful locations in the city.

All these posts about how dangerous crime is in the city are ridiculous. Yes, there is crime like any other metropolitan area. You live in the city, you follow the social rules of keeping yourself safe. I have lived downtown for 17 years and have never had any problems. Most likely it is because I do not do drugs and I am not looking for trouble. I would bet that there is a higher risk of being hurt in traffic accidents in the suburbs from road rage.

What is true is that Cincinnati has a self image problem. Here locals live in one of the most beautiful cities in the midwest. Yet many expect it to be like Chicago, New York, Portland or some other city with a bigger population. Rather than appreciating all the things it does possess that make it such an amazing city.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:56 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Perception vs. reality
Real or imagined, crime impacts downtown's success By Roy Wood
Post staff reporter

Statistically, you can argue it either way: Downtown crime is up -- or it's down.

Want to argue up? Moderator cut: copyrighted text

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2007 at 06:22 AM..

Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,557 times
Cool I Want to Live in Cincinnati!!!!

Whomever thinks that people from other states do not wish to live in Cincinnati or even Ohio is wrong! I am born and raised in Miami, Florida; and, I would trade where I live with an Ohioan any time!

I come to Cincinnati some years to visit my relatives, who still live there;
and I love it! I love it that no matter what direction you go in for about 20 minutes you are in the woods! Down here the place is so spread out that you have to travel 60-75 miles to get away from the concrete! I love it that
people say hello to you. In Miami you might get the finger as an acknowledgement! I love it that most people speak English! I love it that
there are lots of German Restaurants!

My dad was born and raised in Cincy; and, his youngest sister and my
cousins still live here! My mom was born in WV but my cousins from her family also live in Cincy. I am seriously thinking about moving up this way
when I retire; but, I believe I will probably settle in Charleston WV because
it is cheaper and less populated. However, while living closer, I will spend much more time in Cincy, too......I look forward to it with great anticipation!

Sunny Dee,
Miami

Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM

36 posts, read 276,899 times
I've lived about, and find Cincy nice but dull. Of course it is hard to beat N'awlins for good times, eh?
Laissez les bon temps roule!!

I love Clifton and Hyde Park. Crime in this city is pretty much (but not always) confined to about 5 areas, maybe 6. Clifton & Hyde Park are "safe" as part of an American city can be.

Moderate cost of living. Housing is "moderate" too, according to the part of the city you like.

IF you work here where would that be? That makes a big difference as to where I could suggest you look for quarters.

Good & bad in every town throughout the world. I've found my outlook is THE major factor in my enjoyment of a city. Often I arrive expecting nothing and find myself pleasantly surprised.

Check out Skyline Chili, any store, for some uniquely Cincinnati food. No, don't go to Gold Star or any other joint,just Skyline. Well... If you are over in Newport, I guess God would approve of you going to Dixie Chili on Monmouth Street in Newport (Is it still there?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati