Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 08:21 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Nick Johnson was born & raised in San Bernardino, CA & spent his early career in the IE. Watch his video reviewing his hometown, he is 100% dead-on. He's making his living from You Tube so of course he has an agenda, but less than others of his ilk, IMO.

Yes, his take on how Berdoo has changed since he was a kid was a real eye opener for me. Not as complacent as some would have us believe. I like his corny humour and he still makes an effort at touching base with locals that seem to gauge their towns’ present situation fairly well, so that his schtick is okay.

His latest on Marquette in Northern Michigan was a bit lacking in local folks’ contribution to debate, but then he seemed to not insist on the negatives since the QOL measures were all told pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 08:32 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If you didn't grow up in California, how can you be a Californian? The same is true for every state.
Really? People with decades of adult careers, home ownership, community involvement would likely disagree. There are millions upon millions of *Californians* who have been as previously listed for 40, 50, 60 years and more who I’d say are every bit, if not far more, Californians than are teens and 20-something’s who grew up here but have yet to make full lives in the state. No?

Old 04-01-2024, 09:54 AM

7,249 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Really? People with decades of adult careers, home ownership, community involvement would likely disagree. There are millions upon millions of *Californians* who have been as previously listed for 40, 50, 60 years and more who I’d say are every bit, if not far more, Californians than are teens and 20-something’s who grew up here but have yet to make full lives in the state. No?
IMO, if you're not born in the state, grew up in the state, and spent the majority of your life in the state, then you're not of that state, whichever state it may be.

You can have your own opinion, but it doesn't change mine.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:09 AM

43 posts, read 14,512 times
Many people with supportive families or friends live for under $300/week.

That is called intelligence.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
IMO, if you're not born in the state, grew up in the state, and spent the majority of your life in the state, then you're not of that state, whichever state it may be.

You can have your own opinion, but it doesn't change mine.
Opinions are, well, opinions, of course. Everyone seems to have plenty of them

It’s a curious thing. I wonder when one can be a legitimate Christian, Jew, Muslim … Buddhist? Born, grew up, pious for majority of life? No converts allowed?

OTOH, when is one a human? Certainly your criteria would seem to apply. Although ‘furries’ might argue points. And especially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUf3sxpv9II

Even better:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../102724235.cms

Old 04-01-2024, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Opinions are, well, opinions, of course. Everyone seems to have plenty of them

It’s a curious thing. I wonder when one can be a legitimate Christian, Jew, Muslim … Buddhist? Born, grew up, pious for majority of life? No converts allowed?

OTOH, when is one a human? Certainly your criteria would seem to apply. Although ‘furries’ might argue points. And especially:

Even better:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../102724235.cms
Where you grow up becomes the core of who you are. When the environment is ingrained from childhood, it becomes a part of you.

People can switch religions, but it's generally uncommon. We become who our parents make us.

What is a person who grew up in NYC, moved to California in their 20s, worked there seven years, and then moved to Texas? They're a New Yorker, that's who they are. And when Texans criticize that particular "Californian" for wanting to bring gun control to Texas, they are actually criticizing a California-transplanted New Yorker.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:17 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Where you grow up becomes the core of who you are. When the environment is ingrained from childhood, it becomes a part of you.

People can switch religions, but it's generally uncommon. We become who our parents make us.

What is a person who grew up in NYC, moved to California in their 20s, worked there seven years, and then moved to Texas? They're a New Yorker, that's who they are. And when Texans criticize that particular "Californian" for wanting to bring gun control to Texas, they are actually criticizing a California-transplanted New Yorker.
Yea I kinda agree with you. I am from NJ, and no matter where I go, my Joe Pesci accent follows.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:

History of the world is not on the side of your opinion. Uncountable people have adopted new religions and cultural identities.

I grew up in the upper mid-west, son of a farmer and a Scandinavian immigrant homemaker. My parents and their brothers and sisters stayed in the lifestyle I was raised in … and thought retirement was best in the vicious winters of the Great Lakes along the Canadian border.

LOL. I am none of those things. Can’t stand the cold. Love the sun and tropics. Would never have a vegetable garden let alone farm. I was off to military service as a teen, and a nomadic life afloat ever since. No religion either, despite my parents’ fundamentalist roots. No political ideologies. My parents damn sure never “made” me this way.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Yea I kinda agree with you. I am from NJ, and no matter where I go, my Joe Pesci accent follows.
lol I love that guy.

Those NJ girls are spicy too. Almost went to blows with one on an airport shuttle because I criticized my destination: Newark. I thought everyone hated Newark. lol

Old 04-02-2024, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Every youtube content provider has an agenda. When you say you don't like a guy's content, it is just that you don't agree with his bias. You prefer the other guy's bias. That is all it means.

But yes, the guy in the OP's video's are pretty straight forward. I get bored with all his stats. I could look that up my self. Meanwhile, at least Nick Johnson talks to locals.

If you want the viewpoint of a disgruntled Cuban who likes to bash the rich and the government and identies with poor minorities, then there is always the "Southern Life" guy below. He does a ton of "hoods" and homeless. I think he is hilarious. The banter with him constantly insulting his wife is pretty funny and I think it is just their "act" rather than genuine animosity.

He has a ton of content as well.

Not to hijack a California thread per se. Just offering another youtuber. His San Francisco vid below is interesting and surprised even him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRGp-yDrhE
The video is kind of lame, though. He approaches SF from the south, travels up 19th into one of the most expensive areas of SF, turns right on Sloat and left on Portola. Now he's in an even more expensive area. "Gee, this is very nice. Not what I thought it would be!" Well, no kidding. You're in the $3-$5 million home area. You expected homeless tents? He continues up the hill, passing multimillion dollar homes, and eventually down to Market, misses his right turn onto Castro even though his woman tells him to turn 12 times. Gets up to Alamo Square, drives by the Painted "pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside" Ladies, and then heads to the Tenderloin.

He brags about how he's going to the heart of the Tenderloin and he's not afraid of anyone. Instead, he walks along the edge of the Tenderloin, nowhere near the center and gets spooked when a group of illegal alien Honduran drug dealers tell him to stop filming in Spanish. Now he makes a beeline to his car, looking over his shoulder the entire time, trying to see if he's being followed by the Honduran drug dealers.

He didn't do his homework and missed a chance to comment intelligently on the state of the Tenderloin.

He never even went downtown, or to the downtown Market Street corridor. He didn't even really explore the Tenderloin.

So, his opinion is basically worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California