Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 09:23 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,994,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
First of all, the thing about how people live on under $300/week in episode 4 is clickbait. He said it himself it's just under $300/week per capita, counting children. So, for a family of 5 that's closer to $1,500/week.

He also drives through the best neighborhoods and acts confused as to how people can afford to live in those homes with such low incomes. That's easy: Those are the people with the upper median salaries. Everyone else rents an apartment or is packed thirteen to a rundown 3-bedroom home.

Healthcare is cheaper because people don't have insurance and either pay cash or are on Medi-Cal. And with Newsom now giving free Medi-Cal to illegal alien seniors, is it any wonder 40% of the population in those cities is over 65?

I've been through some of those cities and they're not places anyone would want to live. Both the standard and quality of living are low and there's no jobs. And the schools are crap.

Those will be fun. The only thing Oakland and San Jose have in common are increasing numbers of Latinos. But I guess that's true of all of California.
Crappy schools
Sounds like most big city schools in America.

Here's orange cove hs

All Rankings
#2,857
in National Rankings
in California High Schools
in Fresno, CA Metro Area High Schools
in Kings Canyon Joint Unified School District High Schools

It's ranked like a typical good school in the deep south.
People in the parts of the south would pay a premium to have a school like that.
Not bad for a bunch of poor migrants just coming into America.

What apartments? I doubt there are many apartments in these towns. Developers wont chance it.
The poorest people live in farm houses. The neighborhoods look like what he showed you unless it's a really old part of town. They don't build junky new neighborhoods in CA.

I agree that his per Capita stat was useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 09:41 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
There's a pattern. He only likes cities that are a majority of certain demographic. When ironically there are a lot of nice cities that aren't those demographics. Let's just leave it at that.
He oversells those cities cause he thinks his audience wants to hear that or cause he's into that 'great replacement theory' nonsense. Scummy either way

Ive noticed he's toned down his racism some recently, but I'm completely done watching his stuff.

I was reading the comments on a recent video and commenters were blaming californians for ruining their state. They all kept naming issues that Californians were supposedly making worse. They even blamed Californians for stuff that only their own state government could have caused!!! And nick Johnson liked every comment. I said, nope, I'm done. That's the last straw for me
Edit

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-30-2024 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-30-2024, 02:20 PM

128 posts, read 66,762 times
Nick doesn't pull punches that's for sure. Some can't handle that. Dirty is dirty, filth is filth and overcrowding and homeless is simply a reality for many large cities especially in Cali. Can't blame the people however. There simply are have's and have not's and that's not going to change. Your governor sure would like to dig a lot deeper into the have's that's for sure. ;-)

Old 03-30-2024, 06:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
You can buy Mappy clothing now!
I've never been tempted to purchase any youtuber swag, but I might make an exception for Mappy.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Crappy schools
Sounds like most big city schools in America.

Here's orange cove hs

All Rankings
#2,857
in National Rankings
in California High Schools
in Fresno, CA Metro Area High Schools
in Kings Canyon Joint Unified School District High Schools

It's ranked like a typical good school in the deep south.
People in the parts of the south would pay a premium to have a school like that.
Not bad for a bunch of poor migrants just coming into America.

What apartments? I doubt there are many apartments in these towns. Developers wont chance it.
The poorest people live in farm houses. The neighborhoods look like what he showed you unless it's a really old part of town. They don't build junky new neighborhoods in CA.

I agree that his per Capita stat was useless.
This is what happens when your brain gets old. My brain was jumping between Fresno and the 4 small towns he visited. You're right, the people in those small towns live mostly in homes in town or on small farms. They often have one large extended family in the home. Maybe 10 or more people.

The schools do suck though.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalTraveler View Post
Nick doesn't pull punches that's for sure. Some can't handle that. Dirty is dirty, filth is filth and overcrowding and homeless is simply a reality for many large cities especially in Cali. Can't blame the people however. There simply are have's and have not's and that's not going to change. Your governor sure would like to dig a lot deeper into the have's that's for sure. ;-)
The part I find funny is these so-called "Californians" are mostly not Californians at all. California was just their most recent stop.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:27 PM

128 posts, read 66,762 times
Quote:
The part I find funny is these so-called "Californians" are mostly not Californians at all. California was just their most recent stop.
So how long does one have to LIVE in California before they can be considered a Californian?

Old 03-31-2024, 05:13 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
He oversells those cities cause he thinks his audience wants to hear that or cause he's into that 'great replacement theory' nonsense. Scummy either way

Ive noticed he's toned down his racism some recently, but I'm completely done watching his stuff.

I was reading the comments on a recent video and commenters were blaming californians for ruining their state. They all kept naming issues that Californians were supposedly making worse. They even blamed Californians for stuff that only their own state government could have caused!!! And nick Johnson liked every comment. I said, nope, I'm done. That's the last straw for me
Edit

Yep, this is what I was driving home.

I used to watch his stuff until I noticed a theme/pattern in his videos. Also, you are correct. He is super into the great replacement garbage. He only has one type of audience/followers. God forbid he says SF is nice. He'd probably lose half of his subscribers.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:46 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
First of all, the thing about how people live on under $300/week in episode 4 is clickbait. He said it himself it's just under $300/week per capita, counting children. So, for a family of 5 that's closer to $1,500/week.
The median household income is about $38k per year or $3,000 a month. Since you stated per capita income includes children and a town like Firebaugh with a 98% Hispanic population is going to have households with lots of children who don't earn any income. So its meaningless and misleading to say someone can live there on $300 a week. Looking at low end studio apartments. They start in the region at about $1,000 a month. $300 a week is not going to get you a studio apartment let alone anything better than that.
Quote:
He also drives through the best neighborhoods and acts confused as to how people can afford to live in those homes with such low incomes. That's easy: Those are the people with the upper median salaries. Everyone else rents an apartment or is packed thirteen to a rundown 3-bedroom home.
Halfway decent 3br homes start about $350k.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:34 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The median household income is about $38k per year or $3,000 a month. Since you stated per capita income includes children and a town like Firebaugh with a 98% Hispanic population is going to have households with lots of children who don't earn any income. So its meaningless and misleading to say someone can live there on $300 a week. Looking at low end studio apartments. They start in the region at about $1,000 a month. $300 a week is not going to get you a studio apartment let alone anything better than that.

Halfway decent 3br homes start about $350k.
Where?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California