Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 07:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times

Advertisements

I was born and raise in CA, lived there for 40+ years before moving a few years ago. We were in the Monterey Bay area, but had a ton of family in the Central Valley: Fresno, Madera, Sacramento, etc. And my wife attended Fresno State when we were dating, so I know the area fairly well.

It seems to me that those mostly likely to bash this specific part of the state are not Fox News MAGA types from out of state (who bash the entire state in general, as if a state a large and diverse as CA is monolithic), but instead wealthy coastal elites. As far back as the 1980s I can recall the Central Valley being referred to as the "armpit of California" and the cities derided as boring cow towns. Part of this, I think, is an urban-rural / liberal-conservative divide.

In any case, I never found Central Valley cities to be bad places. Sure, there are bad neighborhoods, and Fresno (like Phoenix) isn't my jam. But there are pockets that I find appealing. Being near both the coast and the Sierras without dealing with cold damp summers (marine on the coast) or snow is rather nice. And with much lower COL it's possible for regular folks on regular incomes to afford housing and have enough left over to actually do fun things.

Not surprised that some of these communities were "discovered" by coastal Californians during the pandemic and subsequent hybrid-remote work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 10:13 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Where?!?!
Firebaugh CA Real Estate & Homes For Sale

Old 03-31-2024, 10:23 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

It seems to me that those mostly likely to bash this specific part of the state are not Fox News MAGA types from out of state (who bash the entire state in general, as if a state a large and diverse as CA is monolithic), but instead wealthy coastal elites. As far back as the 1980s I can recall the Central Valley being referred to as the "armpit of California" and the cities derided as boring cow towns. Part of this, I think, is an urban-rural / liberal-conservative divide.
As someone who lived in San Francisco for a year and visited my grandmother who lived outside Bakersfield for decades. I agree its coastal Californians who bash the central valley. Most people in other states don't really understand the differences between living near the coast and inland in the central valley. And how the people are different. For people in the Bay Area the central valley is a place you need to drive past to reach destinations you want to go to like Tahoe, Yosemite, etc. Its never a place you want to go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
In any case, I never found Central Valley cities to be bad places. Sure, there are bad neighborhoods, and Fresno (like Phoenix) isn't my jam. But there are pockets that I find appealing. Being near both the coast and the Sierras without dealing with cold damp summers (marine on the coast) or snow is rather nice. And with much lower COL it's possible for regular folks on regular incomes to afford housing and have enough left over to actually do fun things.

Not surprised that some of these communities were "discovered" by coastal Californians during the pandemic and subsequent hybrid-remote work.
I would take the central valley over Phoenix. Especially if I was in a situation where I worked from home. The coast and mountains are not far. And you don't have Phoenix level heat.

Old 03-31-2024, 12:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would take the central valley over Phoenix. Especially if I was in a situation where I worked from home. The coast and mountains are not far. And you don't have Phoenix level heat.
But it's a dry heat

Phoenix has the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona, and some of the most gorgeous desert and high plateau landscapes nearby. Really has a lot to offer. Low elevations are fantastic 9 months of the year, can escape the heat of summer going to higher elevations. But for me personally the city itself is lackluster... like Fresno, too much sprawl and downtown is meh (though IMO better than Fresno's).

Old 03-31-2024, 12:54 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Every youtube content provider has an agenda. When you say you don't like a guy's content, it is just that you don't agree with his bias. You prefer the other guy's bias. That is all it means.

But yes, the guy in the OP's video's are pretty straight forward. I get bored with all his stats. I could look that up my self. Meanwhile, at least Nick Johnson talks to locals.

If you want the viewpoint of a disgruntled Cuban who likes to bash the rich and the government and identies with poor minorities, then there is always the "Southern Life" guy below. He does a ton of "hoods" and homeless. I think he is hilarious. The banter with him constantly insulting his wife is pretty funny and I think it is just their "act" rather than genuine animosity.

He has a ton of content as well.

Not to hijack a California thread per se. Just offering another youtuber. His San Francisco vid below is interesting and surprised even him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRGp-yDrhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZN11qFl4OM&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzBU63uTCVA&t=57s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQhchPjX5w&t=1223s

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 03-31-2024 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-31-2024, 01:11 PM

2,890 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Every youtube content provider has an agenda. When you say you don't like a guy's content, it is just that you don't agree with his bias. You prefer the other guy's bias. That is all it means.

This guy likes conservative comments on his page, too. He enjoys talking to everyone there. He never mentions politics during tours tho. He's as unbiased as it gets for these tour videos. It's a breath of fresh air on the cesspool known as YouTube.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:

But yes, the guy in the OP's video's are pretty straight forward. I get bored with all his stats. I could look that up my self. Meanwhile, at least Nick Johnson talks to locals.

If you want the viewpoint of a disgruntled Cuban who likes to bash the rich and the government and identies with poor minorities, then there is always the "Southern Life" guy below. He does a ton of "hoods" and homeless. I think he is hilarious. The banter with him constantly insulting his wife is pretty funny and I think it is just their "act" rather than genuine animosity.

He has a ton of content as well.

Not to hijack a California thread per se. Just offering another youtuber. His San Francisco vid below is interesting and surprised even him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRGp-yDrhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZN11qFl4OM&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzBU63uTCVA&t=57s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQhchPjX5w&t=1223s
This guy is friends with nick Johnson. He learned that negativity sells from him. He went the opposite route tho. Instead of bashing blue states, he bashes red states. Some of that homeless footage he uses for Fresno isn't from Fresno, btw. He's not horrible, but he's too negative for me. I'll stick to joeandnic

Old 03-31-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
This guy likes conservative comments on his page, too. He enjoys talking to everyone there. He never mentions politics during tours tho. He's as unbiased as it gets for these tour videos. It's a breath of fresh air on the cesspool known as YouTube.
Yes, he is a straight shooter. He cites published poverty rates and crime rates. Walks downtown and drives a few suburbs. Then he and his wife go for drinks. I am sure some watch just for his wife. She used to be in bikinis or low cut tops and shorts before they changed their official youtube name from "Lord Sporda".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BDyXopXJv0

Old 03-31-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
This guy is friends with nick Johnson. He learned that negativity sells from him. He went the opposite route tho. Instead of bashing blue states, he bashes red states. Some of that homeless footage he uses for Fresno isn't from Fresno, btw. He's not horrible, but he's too negative for me. I'll stick to joeandnic

I can't find anything linking Nick Johnson and Jose Diaz. You might be mistaking him for somebody else.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I can't find anything linking Nick Johnson and Jose Diaz. You might be mistaking him for somebody else.
He's mentioned it on his live chat before. They're not buddy buddy, but he's hung out with nick before. and he put to good use lots of advice from nick.
I wish him and his wife well, but I stopped watching his content a while back.

Thanks for the info.
Lord sporda, eek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California