Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 07:33 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
And ?
Reading comprehension is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 08:58 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
why do you think CA has the highest numbers of homeless? they cant all be locals , some come here for the weather, some for the benefits , some because welfare pays better in CA then where they came from

if you ever watched a youtube show called LEES CHANNEL he interviews a lot of homeless, and many are not locals they came to SF from other places.
If you heard about how cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix treated their homeless population especially in 2020 when they closed down homeless shelters and forced them onto back tar parking lots in the name of preventing COVID spread the answer is obvious why they would get on that bus to CA. Those parking lots were basically a death sentence to them due to the harsh environment and oven like summers(black tar absorbs and holds even more heat in the 110f 45c days). Its much worse than the sidewalks or natural areas with trees/shade. Thus thats the reason why these cities only have hundreds of homeless living in them especially during the summers.

I assume the reason Arizona's infrastructure doesn't include or plan for more shaded areas, walkways, and parking lots(Solar overhangs) is that they may rapidly turn into defacto homeless encampments or simply RV parks, in their inhospitable summers. Now that electric or plug in hybrid cars are becoming more common I would assume that would be issues of more homeless car dwellers hogging public charging stations to keep their electronics running and at a comfortable temperature at a price lower than paying for gas.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Homeless folks are also preyed on by those who watch them and finally take them to for profit nursing homes where Medicaid paid ,these agents get around 700-900 dollars for each.
Those nursing homes keep 4 in a room,watch them closely so they dont leave,they are the chicken which lay golden eggs,
I know a lady who passed out at home,her landlord took her to one of these nursing homes and received a commish,her children would not do anything but her neighbor came,signed and brought her home .
I also know there are local judges and lawyers who invest in those nursing homes,one day I overheard them talking .like winter is coming and there should be more homeless being brought in.

Old 07-02-2023, 10:55 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Default Study: 9 in 10 homeless Californians are native to the state

I thought this was interesting because for decades we’ve heard the rest of the country ships their mentally ill out West, or vagabonds choose CA for its weather and tolerance. This UCSF study of 3,000 homeless found 9 out of 10 lost their housing in-state, and most remain in the same county where they were housed.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/06/...-of-state/amp/

Old 07-02-2023, 11:07 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
That's old news and been covered multiple times in this forum (despite what detractors preach).

Old 07-02-2023, 11:15 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I thought this was interesting because for decades we’ve heard the rest of the country ships their mentally ill out West, or vagabonds choose CA for its weather and tolerance. This UCSF study of 3,000 homeless found 9 out of 10 lost their housing in-state, and most remain in the same county where they were housed.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/06/...-of-state/amp/
Depends where.

In LA about 1/3 were transplants from other states and in SF it was almost 50%. A lot of these people are runaways or troubled people from other states that are out on the streets within a few years of moving to those areas. You can find the links I posted from the NYTimes and LAtimes in the homeless containment thread.

I’d imagine in Eureka it’s probably almost 100% are locals.

PS in many areas almost 100% of the “homeless” are local citizens.

Last edited by njbiodude; 07-02-2023 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-02-2023, 12:27 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Depends where.

In LA about 1/3 were transplants from other states and in SF it was almost 50%. A lot of these people are runaways or troubled people from other states that are out on the streets within a few years of moving to those areas. You can find the links I posted from the NYTimes and LAtimes in the homeless containment thread.

I’d imagine in Eureka it’s probably almost 100% are locals.

PS in many areas almost 100% of the “homeless” are local citizens.
The OP wasn't talking about LA only. The article talks about all of California. Don't try and change the narrative. The majority of homeless people here were residents previously. And the reason, also as stated in the article, is due to lack of affordable housing. It really does pay to read the articles before inserting your own personal opinion and claiming it to be fact.

Quote:
According to the study, which surveyed nearly 3,200 homeless people statewide, nine in 10 respondents lost their housing in California. Three-quarters still lived in the same county as their last home.

Old 07-02-2023, 12:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The OP wasn't talking about LA only. The article talks about all of California. Don't try and change the narrative. The majority of homeless people here were residents previously. And the reason, also as stated in the article, is due to lack of affordable housing. It really does pay to read the articles before inserting your own personal opinion and claiming it to be fact.
Whether having 1/10 homeless residents be 100% homeless prior to arriving is pretty significant and much higher than say Missouri. It also doesn’t account for drug addicts or runaways that show up in some questionable housing situation and are homeless within a few years either. The latter group are also transplants but aren’t included by the methodology used by the San Jose Mercury News.

As I said LA or SF are much higher than other parts of the state too. Read my post.

Old 07-02-2023, 12:52 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Whether having 1/10 homeless residents be 100% homeless prior to arriving is pretty significant and much higher than say Missouri. It also doesn’t account for drug addicts or runaways that show up in some questionable housing situation and are homeless within a few years either. The latter group are also transplants but aren’t included by the methodology used by the San Jose Mercury News.

As I said LA or SF are much higher than other parts of the state too. Read my post.
I did read your post. You are focusing on LA and SF yet there are homeless people throughout the state. Maybe YOU should read the article and stop focusing on your specific area. CA is a big state and I guarantee you, there are homeless everywhere and they're former residents who are now out of a home because they can't afford it. And they aren't all drug users. Shocker!

Old 07-02-2023, 12:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
How they figure this out? Do they ask each homeless, and ask for SS, and ID to verify they are who they say they are, and keep track of who they ask already?

Now they just need figure out how many of addicted/mentally ill, became such before or after becoming homeless.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 07-02-2023 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California