Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 02:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
what a great place to be homeless, they have so many free programs and the weather is so nice in the Southern areas. Why live anywhere else in that circumstance?
And the police will do nothing about it and their illegal actions and drug use. This is not the case in every State, but for sure in the PNW. Other States also follow these same practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 03:20 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr peanut View Post
most of the homeless Ive seen never had a job to begin with they are bums, they are not recent they have been this way for years

homeless is a lifestyle , a lot of them they prefer to live on the street

I would say it's a lot more than 25% being chronically homeless
You would say … based on what? Your anecdotal observations? Lol.

Old 10-05-2021, 03:24 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
what a great place to be homeless, they have so many free programs and the weather is so nice in the Southern areas. Why live anywhere else in that circumstance?
Yeah. It’s great to live on the street foraging for food with the rats, sleeping on concrete that smells of urine, looking over your shoulder trying to avoid rape or other assault, wondering if someone will steal your only shoes at night, no place to relieve yourself in private, no place to shower and shave ….

As Jimmy Stewart said: “It’s a wonderful life!”

Old 10-05-2021, 05:02 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,307,020 times
Quote:
why do you think CA has the highest numbers of homeless? they cant all be locals , some come here for the weather, some for the benefits , some because welfare pays better in CA then where they came from

if you ever watched a youtube show called LEES CHANNEL he interviews a lot of homeless, and many are not locals they came to SF from other places.

Homelessneess is also much higher among sexual minorities. If you are gay or trans and you get kicked out of the house for that where do you think you might try to go?

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...melessness-us/

Old 10-05-2021, 05:05 PM

705 posts, read 506,362 times
When I worked in California, I had to deal with the homeless. In my informal way, I always asked they why didn’t they take advantage of the free shelters or substance abuse centers. They always told me either they didn’t like the “rules” at those places..no smoking, no drug use, no drinking, no fighting, no cussing, no dogs. Or, they just wanted to get high or drunk or both. So the homeless made a choice, they really don’t want help. They like their lifestyle. Just letting you know when they said.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:44 AM

258 posts, read 230,138 times
What's really happening, people, is that homeless are a *huge* cash-generating machine for the cities and California alike. I live in San Francisco and we spent nearly half of a *billion* dollars on them last year and the problem didn't go away at all. The way it works seems to be something like this - for every homeless person they spent money (let's say $50K) the state/city keep about $47K and maybe spend $3K on the actual person. Why do you think we have all those non-profits?

So with that in mind ask yourself, if the city had a huge amount of funds coming in that can feed both it and other places why would they give it up? So they do absolutely nothing to treat the root cause, just mildly alleviate the symptoms. This problem will not go away any time soon.

How many mental patient clinics can a city build with $500M? I figure quite a few. But they won't do it.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:35 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
What's really happening, people, is that homeless are a *huge* cash-generating machine for the cities and California alike. I live in San Francisco and we spent nearly half of a *billion* dollars on them last year and the problem didn't go away at all. The way it works seems to be something like this - for every homeless person they spent money (let's say $50K) the state/city keep about $47K and maybe spend $3K on the actual person. Why do you think we have all those non-profits?

So with that in mind ask yourself, if the city had a huge amount of funds coming in that can feed both it and other places why would they give it up? So they do absolutely nothing to treat the root cause, just mildly alleviate the symptoms. This problem will not go away any time soon.

How many mental patient clinics can a city build with $500M? I figure quite a few. But they won't do it.
Unfortunately, I think you're onto something.

There's a whole broad sector of organizations that now receive funding for "homeless outreach", "homeless services", "mental health" etc.

These are largely non-profit organizations who got in on the "homelessness" craze and saw $$$ with government funding set aside to address the issue.

We're going on four years of this "homeless crisis" now, which started long before Covid came into the picture. Nothing's changed.

And why would it? Especially if keeping a large homeless population means that these organizations have a large "clientele" and can keep asking for more funds from the county, state and federal governments.

Getting people housed and lowering the homeless population would mean that these organizations would have to find a new "cause" and a new way to leech money from the government.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:28 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Yes, it's very bad all over CA , there is a homeless camp right across the street , you cant get rid of them , the police cant do anything unless the property owner makes a complaint , and there is a lot of empty lots where they camp , lots of trash , abandoned vehicles , stripped vehicles , fires , drug use , drug sales , they leave a path of destruction everywhere they go

These people are organized , they all band together and form some type of homeless union, most of the ones in my area are drug addicts, meth users , criminals , tweakers , they never sleep and roam the neighborhood all night long

every town , every city has them , CA has the highest homeless population in the USA , they come in from all over.
California has the largest overall population of any state by far.

Why would it surprise you if California has the largest homeless population?

Old 10-18-2021, 08:44 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
CA has the highest homeless population in the USA
The District of Columbia, Hawaii and New York have higher rates of homelessness than California does.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

Old 10-18-2021, 09:05 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The District of Columbia, Hawaii and New York have higher rates of homelessness than California does.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/
And ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California