Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Satisfaction of Boise Metro Area Residents
100%: No negative factors come to mind 18 7.38%
90%: Nearly perfect, flaws nearly imperceptible 34 13.93%
80%: Extremely positive view. Bad stuff is just not a factor. 54 22.13%
70%: Very positive view. Good very solidly outweighs bad. 68 27.87%
60%: More good than bad, but not by a big margin. 21 8.61%
50%: Very average. Good balances the bad. 10 4.10%
40%: Below average. Bad outweighs the good. 11 4.51%
30%: Way below average. Not many positives here. 8 3.28%
20%: Boise is really bad. Can't really see good. Would rather move. 4 1.64%
10%: Boise is awful and I'm moving. Nothing good about that place at all. 5 2.05%
0%: I left Boise, and hope I never see it again. 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 15,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianiah View Post
I love it here. We lived in Boise a few years ago, then moved to Meridian. We moved to Spokane a year ago and have since moved back. I hear alot of good things about Spokane for raising families-but hands down Boise wins out. Compared to other cities-this is a great choice for families.
Hello! I saw your post and wanted to reach out and get your thoughts on why you love living in Boise. I currently live in Lexington, KY, and have an excellent opportunity to relocate to Boise (for a federal job) with my 12-year-old son. I love the outdoors (and being out west) but I've never been to Boise. Interested in your thoughts -- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 20,988 times
Default Worth coming back to

My vote was 90%, and that's because nothing is perfect. I grew up near Twin Falls, but as an adult, my husband and I lived outside Idaho for 33 years. We lived in many great places, including Napa, CA, the Carolinas, Oregon, near Seattle, Salt Lake City, and Texas. When it came time to choose a place to retire, Boise is the winner. Charleston, SC, was the only close contender. We love the outdoor activities, the people, the opportunities for symphony, ballet, etc, the downtown Markets and events. Boise has it all!

Old 09-22-2015, 02:43 PM

23 posts, read 74,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back.home.again View Post
My vote was 90%, and that's because nothing is perfect. I grew up near Twin Falls, but as an adult, my husband and I lived outside Idaho for 33 years. We lived in many great places, including Napa, CA, the Carolinas, Oregon, near Seattle, Salt Lake City, and Texas. When it came time to choose a place to retire, Boise is the winner. Charleston, SC, was the only close contender. We love the outdoor activities, the people, the opportunities for symphony, ballet, etc, the downtown Markets and events. Boise has it all!
I guess I will have to check it out. I am close to retirement and cost of living in So CA is killing me even working full time. I visited Charleston (Summerville, Mt Pleasant) SC in April for the 2nd time and my wife & I really liked it but not sure I could handle the humidity in summer. Been to Coeur d'Alene (nice but too much winter for my bones) but have yet to go to Boise. I guess I was turned off because I had lived in the high desert for 18 yrs and heard Boise was similar (high desert / wind) but with more trees.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritt View Post
I guess I will have to check it out. I am close to retirement and cost of living in So CA is killing me even working full time. I visited Charleston (Summerville, Mt Pleasant) SC in April for the 2nd time and my wife & I really liked it but not sure I could handle the humidity in summer. Been to Coeur d'Alene (nice but too much winter for my bones) but have yet to go to Boise. I guess I was turned off because I had lived in the high desert for 18 yrs and heard Boise was similar (high desert / wind) but with more trees.
Maybe I can help here. While Boise is quite arid compared to northern Idaho, it doesn't feel like the high desert in SoCal. We've been down to Boise so often for sports throughout all seasons of the year that I feel I've seen it at its best and worst weather over several years.

Boise feels more like Orange County. It can be hot and dry (think Tustin/Irvine sort of like Eagle/Meridian), but it (to me) has a much more pleasant feel most of the time, as long as the inversion layer isn't around.

The wind is NOTHING like Lancaster/Palmdale/Rosamond or Victimville/Hesperia. Trust me. NOTHING like it. It can get windy, but the Antelope Valley is a very "special" place for wind (when riding at Willow Springs in Rosamond, the first thing I had to learn quickly is to handle the wind).

Parts of Downtown Boise and the north end almost remind me of a younger Pasadena (the nicer parts), or the better parts of Glendale. Downtown is pretty neat (but small'ish), and the river area is really neat.

Others (full time Boise residents) will certainly have more info, but I can at least tell you that it's nothing like "life in the AV". Oh...and the crime rate is closer to Simi Valley or South Orange County too, FYI.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:41 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,152 times
Having lived in both OC (Placentia/Fullerton) and growing up in Boise, the above is pretty accurate. Obviously winter is much different, but summers are on par with Inland OC/Inland Empire...except this year because it has been so humid in SoCal. Boise isn't super windy really, although I've heard the outer burbs can be more so since they have no mountain shield.

The brush and scenery of the Antelope Valley is similar to Boise. The city scenery is much better in Boise, even in the "less desirable" areas of the Metro. And the communities offer a lot more...shopping, dining, events, etc.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:27 PM

231 posts, read 250,900 times
It would be interesting to see if people have the same or a different opinion after several years. 1st year impressions are useful for somebody contemplating moving to the Boise area but reading an updated opinion based on more years of living in Boise would likely bring up even more good points to consider.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHntr View Post
It would be interesting to see if people have the same or a different opinion after several years. 1st year impressions are useful for somebody contemplating moving to the Boise area but reading an updated opinion based on more years of living in Boise would likely bring up even more good points to consider.

Yes, I agree. Would love to hear from long-time residents.

Loved the very informative comparisons in post#74 by Sage of Sagle, thanks!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 10-02-2016 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 01:46 PM

52 posts, read 78,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Since this seems to be a topic of much discussion, with some feeling that it has some issues but it's a great place to live to others who have a pretty unflattering view based on their posts, here is a poll for y'all.

It's a simple way for you to weigh your satisfaction with LIVING in the Boise Metro Area (excluding Nampa/Caldwell since there does seem to be more negative about that area and it can be discussed separately as it's westward a bit).

Please only vote and comment if you CURRENTLY reside in the area AND have lived in Boise longer than 90 days, or if you LEFT the area in the past 6 months.

Also, if you post a comment, please note the specific area of the metro region (just be general to view people a better idea)
Im tired of the winters here and will be relocating to the Phoenix valley. I am originally from San Diego CA and much prefer the warm weather and palm trees year around with a resort vibe! But boise is a great place if you like all seasons and don't mind being somewhat isolated from other major cities driving wise.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,489 times
Moved here from Arizona and love the landscape, community, and environment to get out and be able to participate in healthy outdoor activities like hiking, camping, boating and off-road ventures.

Last edited by volosong; 06-13-2018 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Realtor advertising not permitted on C-D, per the T.O.S.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:19 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
So in the Boise area or South Idaho area, Does it snow the least as compared to Hayden, Bonners Ferry and Moyer Springs? I believe it's more cold also up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area