Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2021, 05:57 AM

117 posts, read 93,325 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any specific places that give you home/apartment rental discounts for 55 and over?

I've looked for 55 plus places in the past, but it seems like there are only 55+ exclusive places that mean only older people can live there, but they're not discounted. It just means you have the ability to live with people of that age range for whatever benefit that gives you ( quiet environment, or maybe opportunities to talk about 80's one-hit wonder bands with everyone ? )

Just trying to counter the rent increase trend, and anywhere in treasure valley or beyond probably
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 09:43 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
I'm curious about why you think you should get discounted rent for having lived for more than 55 years?

It seems to me that the point of the 55 and up communities is that you don't have a lot of screaming kids running across your lawn and setting up their basketball hoop in the middle of the road.

There are occasionally HUD senior apartments for people who qualify for Section 8 or other welfare programs. The only ones I know of are in huge cities like San Francisco.

Coming back to add that the wait list for HUD owned senior housing is years long, with preference to the disabled. You basically have to wait for someone to die and vacate an apartment.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:47 AM

Lol That's a good question. I mean, what's with the self-entitlement steveburbank ?

I guess it was discovering sites like https://www.55places.com/ starting around when I turned 50 that I just became curious about.. and assuming there was something I could take advantage maybe.

I agree, about the screaming kids thing yes. I should consider that a benefit all in itself.

Old 07-12-2021, 01:46 PM

561 posts, read 439,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm curious about why you think you should get discounted rent for having lived for more than 55 years?
Stems from historically various business and the like touting a "55+" discount or special promotions. It's been in the American culture for a while. At least that's my take on it.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:03 PM

8,778 posts, read 5,071,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
Lol That's a good question. I mean, what's with the self-entitlement steveburbank ?

I guess it was discovering sites like https://www.55places.com/ starting around when I turned 50 that I just became curious about.. and assuming there was something I could take advantage maybe.

I agree, about the screaming kids thing yes. I should consider that a benefit all in itself.
No discount for living in an over 55. You still have taxes and HOA cost......and all your other bills.....just no kids.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:20 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,640,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
No discount for living in an over 55. You still have taxes and HOA cost......and all your other bills.....just no kids.
And you get to pay 3x the amount of normal montly apartment rent, for 3 mediocre daily meals, from the clubhouse diner.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
And you get to pay 3x the amount of normal montly apartment rent, for 3 mediocre daily meals, from the clubhouse diner.
Yep, there are those kind of buildings where you get "assisted living", living as if you're 90 and not an able-bodied 55 yo, like myself lol.

I think I am finding some advantage though. I did find a decent place, in Coer d Alene ( I'll NEVER spell that city correctly ), and it was around 1000.. and they only allow 55 plus though.

So there's not a discount per se.. and I think it's just a semi good place, maybe older buiding, with a decent price.. but *also* just so happens to be 55 plus for whatever reason, so may look into moving that far up.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:49 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,778,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post

Huh??!? I live in a 55+ community and own my 3bd,2ba house. And I have to fix my own meals. I do admit that we pay a lease fee for the land upon which the house sits, but for that lease fee, we get free water, sewer, snow removal, WIFI, and access to the clubhouse which includes a salt water swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, billiard room, gymnasium, book and DVD lending libraries, pickle-ball, Bocce Ball, 9-hole pitch-n-put, RV storage, movie theater, and a few other minor amenities.

After adding up everything I was paying for beforehand and offsetting what was included in the lease fee, I figure it only cost me about a hundred bucks to live in my 55+ community. And I have a built-in friendly neighborhood. It's not for everyone, but it's working out fine for me at this time. None of my ancestors back four generations ever needed assisted living, so I figure that won't be much of an issue when I reach that age.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-12-2021, 09:55 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Stems from historically various business and the like touting a "55+" discount or special promotions. It's been in the American culture for a while. At least that's my take on it.
Yup.
The 55+ thing is just to give the appearance the place will appeal to the middle-aged folks.
It's like the saying 65 is the new 55; those condos and neighborhoods are intended for couples and singles who are 65+ with grown kids and are downsizing.

They're the folks who want to mingle with others their age, and don't want to go out partying in places where there are lots of others half their age.

Lots of boomers in that bunch looking for something in common with their neighbors. Usually they find it, too.

Happiness is where you find it, I guess. I've always liked to live where there are younger kids around and young adults, along with retirees and older folks. A mix makes my life more interesting.

Old 07-13-2021, 03:06 AM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Often the 55+ places are less costly than comparable housing in the same area that isn't restricted. That can mean little if the 55+ community has a ton of amenities that you pay for with high HOA fees though. Some 55+ communities have very small homes, which can also make them cheaper. It all depends.

I might move into one at some point and it will be cheaper but only because I'd be moving out of the Bay Area and downsizing so most places will be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: