Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 AM

11 posts, read 19,177 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are recently retired and interested in relocating to the Boise-metro area. Due to our jobs being in South Arkansas, we have lived here for many years. Even though we have mild winters, the summers are horrible due to the heat and humidity. From what I've read on the Idaho forum, Boise area weather would be quite comfortable and allow us to enjoy more outdoor activities such as hiking & biking, etc.

I would like to hear from those of you who have lived in the same house in the meto area for a number of years. Please disclose where you live and describe any foundation issues with housing? Foundation problems can become noticeable when the brick on the outside of your home has separated leaving a crack, crown molding on the inside has pulled apart at a seam, small cracks in the walls have occurred, or interior doors no longer close smoothly. Sometimes it may be as subtle as a door that creeps shut on its own instead of remaining open. If the ground is unstable and shifts beneath the foundation, these issues are inevitable. In some cases, there will also be cracks and uneven surfaces in the paved streets in such a subdivision.

Your honest comments are encouraged as we do not want to find out about such issues the hard way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,010 times
I rarely come across a foundation problem in my work (I'm a realtor--this is my 9th year in the business). We do see problems in the north end with homes built around the turn of the century with sandstone foundations. As I understand it, it's not that the foundations themselves are bad, but the methods used (or not used) to re-point the mortar through the years. Even with those homes, the problem is not usually bad enough to compromise the structural integrity of the house and can be remedied.

Outside the north end, there may be the occasional mild settling crack in the concrete foundations but rarely do I see anything of concern and I can only think of one house that had serious structural issues. As for small settling cracks--that can be common and fairly normal, not a sign of a larger problem. think our geology here is quite different than Arkansas. Problems with the ground shifting and causing cracks in the pavement as you describe aren't a problem here--at least not in Boise/Meridian.

That said, it's always important to do an home inspection and carefully assess this sort of issue and anything else that's important to you.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Thank you for the valuable info, Benchfan. Since no homeowners replied to my question, I was led to believe that the majority of homeowners in the Boise area have not encountered major foundation problems caused by unstable earth. Your comments have confirmed my assumption. I definitely agree that a thorough inspection is a must.

We are planning to visit the Boise area in mid-July to get a feel for the metro area. Mainly, we are interested in comparing the comfortable temperatures and low humidity to the sweltering heat and humidity found in South Arkansas. If you have any suggestions for things to do or see, please feel free to send me a direct message. We are 2000 miles away and want to make the most of our visit.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM

129 posts, read 371,427 times
Default Foundation ?'s

As an home inspector of 15 years, I have found very few homes in Boise with structural issues regarding the foundation. As the realtor above mentioned, it is always best to hire an home inspector to carefully look over your home before purchasing. Even new homes will have small hairline cracks present in the stem walls but this does not mean the structure is bad....there is a lot of settling with homes that takes place over time. Good luck. If you have any further questions, contact me anytime. Home Inspection, Inspector, Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Idaho

Old 08-06-2011, 08:39 PM

Great advice, Randy! We will definitely request an home inspection from a reputable inspector.

In July, we enjoyed a week in the Boise meto area. The temperatures were in the 90's, but a mild breeze made it quite comfortable in the shade. We visited several city parks and found them to be a vibrant part of the area. You have no idea how impressive the beautiful landscaping throughout the metro area is to visitors! In other cities, we have seen none to compare.

We are hoping to be able to sell our home by Spring 2012 and then search for a suitable home in the Meridian area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: