Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Satisfaction of Boise Metro Area Residents
100%: No negative factors come to mind 18 7.38%
90%: Nearly perfect, flaws nearly imperceptible 34 13.93%
80%: Extremely positive view. Bad stuff is just not a factor. 54 22.13%
70%: Very positive view. Good very solidly outweighs bad. 68 27.87%
60%: More good than bad, but not by a big margin. 21 8.61%
50%: Very average. Good balances the bad. 10 4.10%
40%: Below average. Bad outweighs the good. 11 4.51%
30%: Way below average. Not many positives here. 8 3.28%
20%: Boise is really bad. Can't really see good. Would rather move. 4 1.64%
10%: Boise is awful and I'm moving. Nothing good about that place at all. 5 2.05%
0%: I left Boise, and hope I never see it again. 11 4.51%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM

8 posts, read 41,955 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here. I cannot stand it anymore. Hoping to leave by next summer. It is full of RUDE people. Mostly from California. HORRIBLE drivers. HORRIBLE Governer. Low wages and high rental prices. Slave wage state. I HATE BOISE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM

114 posts, read 288,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgrl466 View Post
I was born and raised here. I cannot stand it anymore. Hoping to leave by next summer. It is full of RUDE people. Mostly from California. HORRIBLE drivers. HORRIBLE Governer. Low wages and high rental prices. Slave wage state. I HATE BOISE!
One man's/women's junk is another man's/women's Treasure (Valley). It is all perspective I guess.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM

31 posts, read 115,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgrl466 View Post

Horrible drivers? I have agree with ya on that but you did say You ran into RUDE people and felt they came from California. Rudeness and bad driving in California seems to go hand in hand and perhaps they forgot to check that at the Idaho border. I can't count the number of times people have come out of a driveway and I've had to really step on the brakes to keep from hitting them and instead of them picking up speed, they just take off like they are the only ones on the rode. But the truth is, the wife and I have by far met more good hearts and right minded people in Idaho then we ever met in Oregon where we left after 22 years. Yes, wages are low but so is the cost of living when compared to Portland Oregon. If you think rents are high here, check out Portland Oregon. Pretty much impossible to find high wages and low cost of living anywhere. Normally you have to settle for, well, what your willing to settle for. As far as the politics go I am a conservative. That is one big reason I left Oregon. I just didn't fit in. Oregon is more like an extension of California. I hope you change your mind by next summer. Idaho is a wonderful state with lots of friendly people good places to eat and low living costs.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 AM

30 posts, read 80,825 times
Hey Surfgrl466 lets trade places come on down to California. be sure to brush up on your spanish. ( we are so done with Mexifornia ).

Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 16,199 times
We currently live in San Diego and are comtemplating a move to Boise, but have been told that newcomers are not necessarily welcomed. Is this true of only certain areas- we were looking into the Nampa area. Comments?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM

31 posts, read 115,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamoveaway View Post
We currently live in San Diego and are comtemplating a move to Boise, but have been told that newcomers are not necessarily welcomed. Is this true of only certain areas- we were looking into the Nampa area. Comments?
That only applies to liberals. I have lived here for the last 1 1/2 years and now own a home. I moved here from Portland Oregon after living there for 22 years and WOW, what a difference. Here the people are actually friendly and will talk to you. Great place to raise a family.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 PM

232 posts, read 565,436 times
Default First impressions after 2.5 months here...

We moved here when I retired the end of July. We have been living overseas for 20+ years, being transferred every 2 or 3 years, and decided to settle in the Boise metro area after more than 4 years of online research, plus a one-month visit before making our final decision.

My wife and I both say that this area has the nicest people we've ever met, anywhere in the world....bar none! For those who mention rude drivers, you need to travel more to find out what really rude drivers are all about! The weather here is great (okay, I haven't done a winter yet), traffic is manageable, people are friendly, prices are reasonable, and there are a gazillion things to do here.

We are both extremely happy with our choice to retire in this area.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM

10 posts, read 31,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannamoveaway View Post
We recently moved to the area and never ran into anyone giving us grief for moving here from SoCal. We even had our CA plates on for the first 4 months. We really like it up here and the only thing I regret is not moving here sooner!

Old 12-25-2011, 11:25 AM

55 posts, read 77,340 times
I appreciate the creation of this thread and the responses/insight.

Overall, the appreciation vs. lack of appreciation for Boise seems to be very polarized.

Like others OTT, I also grew up in California but haven't lived there since 1998. My California roots notwithstanding, I lack the "entitlement personality complex" that is inherent with many Californians and dub my driving style as very "cautious". (But do carefully pick up speed on the road if I need to pass someone driving too slow.)

It's too bad that a state like California had to be destroyed by some really bad political policies. That's obviously the impetus of why so many Californians (since the 1990s) have jumped ship and moved to other Western states. The more liberal Californians tend to relocate to Oregon, Washington or New Mexico, while the more conservative move to Arizona, Colorado and Idaho. (I'm in AZ now.)

Unfortunately for Arizona, the policies of both sides have defiled the state's major metropolitan cities. Among the left, there's this forced political correctness in regards to the illegal immigration issue. Among the right, although the cost to operate a business here is low, they want to save costs by cutting down staff and having the remaining few workers put more in than they get back in their salary.

Due to the Californiazation of Arizona, I've considered moving once again, and Boise (or Idaho) seemed promising, but the "contrary" opinions I'm reading here sound very troubling.

Last edited by DisciplesOfTheWatch; 12-25-2011 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
You're going to run into plenty of contrary opinions on a message board. IMO you'll hear a lot more argument here on CDF than you may once you move somewhere and get settled...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area