Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 17,994 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is moving to Caldwell in July and wants me to move there with him after he gets things settled (about a month or two later). He thinks we'd have a better life out there, that we be could afford to purchase our own home because it sure aint gonna happen here in southern california!! A small 2 bedroom in Pasadena, CA. is $700,000 with no yard!! Yes, it would be nice to own a home, but I was born and raised and have lived in Southern California all my life and now that I'm 40, change is hard! I love the weather here. I have my family nearby. So this is very hard and stressful on me. I'm reading that Caldwell has some nice parts, but of course like everywhere, there is some bad parts. Mostly I'm reading not to move to Caldwell, that Meridian or Boise would be better. Your thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 61,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy N. View Post
My boyfriend is moving to Caldwell in July and wants me to move there with him after he gets things settled (about a month or two later). He thinks we'd have a better life out there, that we be could afford to purchase our own home because it sure aint gonna happen here in southern california!! A small 2 bedroom in Pasadena, CA. is $700,000 with no yard!! Yes, it would be nice to own a home, but I was born and raised and have lived in Southern California all my life and now that I'm 40, change is hard! I love the weather here. I have my family nearby. So this is very hard and stressful on me. I'm reading that Caldwell has some nice parts, but of course like everywhere, there is some bad parts. Mostly I'm reading not to move to Caldwell, that Meridian or Boise would be better. Your thoughts would be appreciated!
I am going to tell you the truth from my perspective. If I was going to move anywhere in Idaho, Caldwell would be the last place on my list but thats my opinion. I don't even like to do jobs out there. Nampa would be better as they are connected but Ada county would by far be the best bet (Meridian Boise Eagle Kuna Star) If you must live out there I would suggest Middleton or Star being close in proximity to Caldwell. If you need any more info feel free to ask and I will do all I can to help...

Jeff

Old 06-10-2008, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 17,994 times
Default Thanks for your reply!

I do appreciate your reply. I've been reading/researching a lot about Caldwell, and mostly I'm seeing that the surrounding cities would be better. It really makes me think about not moving out there with my boyfriend. He's set on Caldwell because his sister lives out there & she loves it and has no complaints. According to her, she's in the nicer part, if there is such a thing!

Picking up and leaving California, where my job and family are, is not an easy decision and reading/hearing about Caldwell doesn't make me feel any better about making the move!! Can you tell me anything positive about Caldwell? Is it a small country type of town or is there lot's of shopping and things to do to keep someone busy/entertained?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 PM

44 posts, read 142,819 times
Thumbs down Not caldwell

I agree with the last poster. When we were looking to buy (we live in Nampa), our realtor told us, "do not buy in caldwell". She apparently wasn't supposed to tell us anything like that, but we are glad she did...we thank her everyday.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy N. View Post
Hi Nancy! I grew up in the Treasure Valley and have been trying to get by here in California for four years.

Arcadia is a beautiful city...but I understand affordability is a main factor in leaving California....although prices are falling like a rock they will NEVER be as low as the Caldwell area. Moving to Boise would be far less of a "culture shock" compared to moving to Caldwell. Caldwell is a rather small community with rather high crime and is semi-rural. A far cry from the area of the San Gabriel Valley you live in now. If you were coming from the Inland Empire or similar area I would say you'd probably be ok with Meridian or Nampa. But if you really love your area I would definitely advise Boise as it has a functional and lively downtown area comparable to Pasadena and the city has a lot of trees like the Pasadena Area while Meridian and Nampa are rather sparse in the foliage department. As I remember it the older "nicer" neighborhoods in Caldwell have heavy foliage too. I remember there being nice old homes near College of Idaho. Check with a current local Caldwell resident to verify that.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 26,036 times
Default Boise gives you more for your money!

Boise appreciates more and has more to offer you! I am a realtor and can tell you just looking at what you can currently buy and what is selling right now in both places your investment is going to appreciate better in Boise.

People think that they have to drive to Caldwell or Nampa to afford a house but they don't. Because of the drop in the market there are some really affordable houses now in Boise. It is a great time for people who weren't able to afford to live in Boise proper before to buy in Boise.

That's why Caldwell grew so quickly. People weren't able to afford the prices in Boise, so they went further out and bought then drove into Boise. Now they don't have to...I am not sure how much longer these prices will stay down but while they are down people should definitely take advantage of them.

Boise, has the downtown, the University, entertainment,...

Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 PM

77 posts, read 271,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholisa View Post
Boise appreciates more and has more to offer you! I am a realtor and can tell you just looking at what you can currently buy and what is selling right now in both places your investment is going to appreciate better in Boise.

People think that they have to drive to Caldwell or Nampa to afford a house but they don't. Because of the drop in the market there are some really affordable houses now in Boise. It is a great time for people who weren't able to afford to live in Boise proper before to buy in Boise.

That's why Caldwell grew so quickly. People weren't able to afford the prices in Boise, so they went further out and bought then drove into Boise. Now they don't have to...I am not sure how much longer these prices will stay down but while they are down people should definitely take advantage of them.

Boise, has the downtown, the University, entertainment,...
Caldwell is definitely more of a family oriented city.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 19,864 times
Thumbs down Caldwell is Terrible!

Nothing there, 30 minutes to 1+ hour to Boise depending on traffic, per capita violent crimes are higher in Caldwell,...

Old 08-30-2008, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 33,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackattack69 View Post
I agree with the last poster. When we were looking to buy (we live in Nampa), our realtor told us, "do not buy in caldwell". She apparently wasn't supposed to tell us anything like that, but we are glad she did...we thank her everyday.
Maybe a realtor's say that because they want a bigger commision. Nampa homes are more expensive. We have lived in Caldwell for 3 years now and love it. Have family in Nampa and they love Nampa. Too each their own.

Leilani

Old 08-30-2008, 02:49 PM

7 posts, read 33,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Hi Nancy! I grew up in the Treasure Valley and have been trying to get by here in California for four years.

Arcadia is a beautiful city...but I understand affordability is a main factor in leaving California....although prices are falling like a rock they will NEVER be as low as the Caldwell area. Moving to Boise would be far less of a "culture shock" compared to moving to Caldwell. Caldwell is a rather small community with rather high crime and is semi-rural. A far cry from the area of the San Gabriel Valley you live in now. If you were coming from the Inland Empire or similar area I would say you'd probably be ok with Meridian or Nampa. But if you really love your area I would definitely advise Boise as it has a functional and lively downtown area comparable to Pasadena and the city has a lot of trees like the Pasadena Area while Meridian and Nampa are rather sparse in the foliage department. As I remember it the older "nicer" neighborhoods in Caldwell have heavy foliage too. I remember there being nice old homes near College of Idaho. Check with a current local Caldwell resident to verify that.
If you want something simular Meridian is the town. Its like being in Southern California :-) My sister lives in Glendale. Meridian is close to that and the more expensive would be Eagle. But there is a lot for traffic. Boise is a great small city and has much to offer, but does have the same city problems as they all do.

I got to add again Crime is not higher in Caldwell! Bosie, Meridian and Nampa have higher crime rates.

But compared to any community the whole of Treasure Valley has low crime rate so really shouldn't be a issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area