Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 01:52 PM

29 posts, read 128,925 times

Advertisements

Hi Idaho! I am considering moving to your beautiful state. I would like to live within an hour or so of Boise, but live on a few acres of land in a rural area. My dream would be to possibly see wolf, moose or elk passing through where I live from time to time. Is this possible? Or can these animals only be seen in very high elevations or Yellowstone? Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 09:58 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I'm not anywhere near Boise, but I have a moose that hangs out in my front yard every now and again when the snow is deep in the winter. A moose goes where he wants and fears no one.

The elk and wolves are seretive and rarely seen. I very much doubt that you will see them anywhere near any sort of residential area.

Deer, wild turkeys, and coyotes all hang out in residential areas, so are more likely to be seen.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:35 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Moose and elk are in and around Stanley ID, which is about 2.5 hours from Boise, and a bit above 6,000' elevation. Plus elk are in and around Sun Valley. The elk in Stanley are not shy of humans; they hang around the hot springs right by town most of the winter and just ignore the humans and cars LOL. I can imagine both of those species moving around in summer and could get over towards Lowman and then perhaps they might get as close to Boise as Idaho City or Garden City, which are both about 1 hour from Boise, up in the mountains. There may be established herds around those 2 areas already AFAIK.

Wolves, IDK.

Winter driving to/from Idaho City is not a cakewalk when there is snow. The highway, ID21, is quite twisty with lots of exposures. Driving to Garden City is less of a challenge, but still is narrow and steep in spots. You need to expect to have AWD/4WD and its best to already have some experience in snow driving in real mountains. Or, be able to stay put when things get snowy.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:40 PM

PS: You can find info on the internet about elk in Garden City ID

Old 09-26-2020, 03:11 PM

213 posts, read 342,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
PS: You can find info on the internet about elk in Garden City ID

Do you mean Garden Valley? Garden City is next to Boise and I'd find it kinda odd if there were elk sightings there. Maybe from the foothills?

Old 09-26-2020, 04:22 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Yes, Garden Valley

https://www.google.com/search?q=gard...j0l2.12704j0j7

First video on this page by News 6 shows the regular winter elk.

Hunting report on page says wolves in region though you are not likely to see, except maybe attacking livestock (probably at night).

"Community tour" on second Google page has some aerial photography.

Hour of Boise depends on road, traffic, weather. Garden Valley might be over an hour at least in some circumstances. Idaho City, not sure but certainly more in winter.

Those are 2 options that are close to what you want. Others would be not as far up Hwy 55 around Horseshoe Bend, Gardena or Banks. Or along the South Fork of the Boise River southeast of Boise.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-26-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-26-2020, 04:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Yes, Garden Valley

https://www.google.com/search?q=gard...j0l2.12704j0j7

First video on this page by News 6 shows the regular winter elk.

Hunting report says Wolves in region

"Community tour" on second Google page has some aerial photography.

Moose known in area around Cascade Lake and Warm Lake further north.
https://www.google.com/search?q=moos...7j33.10007j0j7
Dunno if they go further south along the river, but maybe.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:06 PM

29 posts, read 128,925 times
Thank you so much for the valuable information!
I will have more questions in the coming days as I research the area.
Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 PM

Yeah, Garden Valley... duh! LOL

Old 09-29-2020, 07:42 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
There's Garden Valley, the valley, and Garden City, the city next to Boise. They are different places.

Garden Valley isn't far away from the Treasure Valley, but it's a drive, and you won't see any elk from there around Boise.

A person has to be very lucky to ever get a glimpse at a wolf. Their senses are so keen and they're so wary of humans they can be very close and you'll never spot one. They are largely nocturnal, preferring to hunt in the pre-dawn hours, and that makes them very hard to spot as well.

The packs in Yellowstone Park have all learned they can ignore humans in safety, so they tend to hunt into daylight much more than outside the park's boundaries. If you want to see wolves, the park's the place, but even then, you probably will need binoculars to see them.

Moose fear nothing, so they are easier to see. Don't ever get close to one, though, because they are quick to go after you.

A friend and I were once cutting through some woods in Teton Park, headed to the highway, when we ran into a yearling cow moose. She was only as large as a small elk, but she ran both of us up an aspen sapling barely big enough to hold us both, and did her best to knock us out of the tree for the next 3 hours.

The longest morning of my life. If either of us had fallen out of the tree we would have been dead in seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area