Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 09:59 AM

1,085 posts, read 441,687 times

Advertisements

I think he will, hes too close to not just pass a little more. All he needs to do is average 10. 355 assists per game to get to it, if he plays all 45 remaining games this season. hes at 9.5 assists per game now. Thats less than 1 assist per game to whats he is averaging now. Just pass the ball 3 more times per game and someone might score it once withour passing it again or miss the shot.

He will join russ and oscar Robertson to average a triple double per season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 10:53 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
I think he will, hes too close to not just pass a little more. All he needs to do is average 10. 355 assists per game to get to it, if he plays all 45 remaining games this season. hes at 9.5 assists per game now. Thats less than 1 assist per game to whats he is averaging now. Just pass the ball 3 more times per game and someone might score it once withour passing it again or miss the shot.

He will join russ and oscar Robertson to average a triple double per season.
Hmmm........I'll take the under and say he falls short for two very specific reasons.

1. Jokic won't chase the stat, he doesn't chase any stats, and won't change the way he plays to try and inflate his assist total.

2. There will be games where team try to take away Jokic as a passer and force him to score. He will have games in the 6 assist range because of this every week or so on average. To account for a 6 assist game, he would need a 14 assist game to average back to ten, or four 11 assist games in a row, etc.

Unlike points where you can increase your average by a third, or even a half of a point, if you put up a monster scoring game, assists come in a much smaller range of possibilities, so a low assist game become hard to average back up again.

Last edited by westsideboy; 01-05-2023 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-05-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hmmm........I'll take the under and say he falls short for two very specific reasons.

1. Jokic won't chase the stat, he doesn't chase any stats, and won't change the way he plays to try and inflate his assist total.

2. There will be games where team try to take away Jokic as a passer and force him to score. He will have games in the 6 assist range because of this every week or so on average. To account for a 6 assist game, he would need a 14 assist game to average back to ten, or four 11 assist games in a row, etc.

Unlike points where you can increase your average by a third, or even a half of a point, if you put up a monster scoring game, assists come in a much smaller range of possibilities, so a low assist game become hard to average back up again.
Theres only 2 players in the history of the nba, 76 years that has gotten it. If he does this adds to his legacy and can move up in the top of the top players. He will get his 3rd mvp, and thats already in the very elite category. He is very close to averaging 10 assists per game.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:54 AM

Up to 9.7 assists per game.

But last night was a good example. It would have been pretty easy for him to come back into the game and finish off the triple double by playing 2-3 more minutes, maybe even getting 11 or 12 assists if he really wanted to, instead he played 28 minutes through 3 quarters and sat on 9 assists......which takes his average slightly down.

It would be all the more amazing for a guy not chasing the stat to accomplish it.

BTW, am I the only one a bit confused on a what "an assist" is these days. I thought it was catch and shoot, or one dribble before shooting. Lots of assists these days are 2-3 dribbles + an offensive move to score.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Up to 9.7 assists per game.

But last night was a good example. It would have been pretty easy for him to come back into the game and finish off the triple double by playing 2-3 more minutes, maybe even getting 11 or 12 assists if he really wanted to, instead he played 28 minutes through 3 quarters and sat on 9 assists......which takes his average slightly down.

It would be all the more amazing for a guy not chasing the stat to accomplish it.

BTW, am I the only one a bit confused on a what "an assist" is these days. I thought it was catch and shoot, or one dribble before shooting. Lots of assists these days are 2-3 dribbles + an offensive move to score.
I think the team will help him get there and look to shoot instead of pass whenever they get the ball from him. Its too close already. If jokic gets it, plus wins at least 4 mvps in his career, he will be up there with the bird, magic, kareem. He will also get a career triple double like lebron with 10k + points, 10k rebounds, 10k assists.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:50 PM

The shooting of the Nuggets as a team is definitely a plus for his assist total right now.

Up to 9.8 as of today though, so it is possible.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:11 AM

9.9!

I don't know accord, you may be right......I may lose this "bet"

Jokic is now the MVP favorite again too.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
9.9!

His team mates will probably help him get there as a favor since hes so efficient and making them the top seed. They will look to shoot the ball whenever they get a pass from him. At this point all jokic needs to do is have 5 games of 11 assists, and the rest of the season get 10 per game.

Old 01-31-2023, 11:45 PM

He is at 10 now, but its rounded up. 439 assists and 44 games. All he needs to do is get 1 game with 11 assists and the rest of the season average 10 flat.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:35 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
9.9!

I think Embiid should get it. He is a more complete player with his defense and when they played head to head the other night Embiid was by far the better player in that game. I know one game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball