Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 09:44 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

No triple tonight.

We'll forgive him. With his ankle he's gotta heal up and foul trouble, good to see others step up.

What can Brown do for you?

Jokic first foul call an actual magic trick. He didn't touch nothing. Announcers mentioned it as being contestable.

Bunk call on Gordon from Lowry at 2:40 mark in second.

Huge flop by Adebayo on Jokic at the :17 mark before the half.

Now I can see why the game looked "close" at times. Yeah yeah sure sure.

Finally, after a back to back foul, the 9:24 mark in the 4th, foul on Jokic, didn't like that call. So end result, no triple double, but the 3-1 series lead. I'll accept that. But that floppin by Adebayo, they ought to just call that team the Florida Marlins.

Last edited by McGowdog; 06-09-2023 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 07:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
This playoff season has really been an eye opener for me as far as Jokic goes. I knew he was good, but since I rarely ever watched the Nuggets I guess I didnt realize just how good he is. Watching him score in a variety of ways against a very good defender in Bam was just super impressive. Frankly, seeing the bag of moves he has, it's a bit surprising that he doesnt regularly average close to or over 30 ppg. I think he could do that without being a ball hog since it's not like Denver has a bunch of guys who demand a ton of shots. That might change with the leap Murray is making now.

One thing for Denver, everyone keeps telling me that the advanced metrics say Jokic is a decent defender. Well he fails the eye test to me. Denver is lucky that Miami is mainly a jump shooting team. I could see Giannis and Lopez from the Bucks for example feasting on this defense that has no shot blocker or decent post defender.

Old 06-11-2023, 01:21 PM

I disagree. I agree with your appreciation of what you have seen Jokic do on the court to date.

I'm talking about stats. They're worthless. They don't mean anything. They pad the ego, a stat book.

When you're dealing with a selfless team, it just doesn't matter what an individual scores, but rather the final score on the board, right?

Let's say a guy scores 20 points in a game but dishes off 20 assists. Doesn't that account for 60 point? More if they turn out to be a 3 or an And One.

How many big men do you recall dishing out so many assists per game? In fact, that was the inspiration of this thread, right? When I think of assist leaders, I think Magic and John Stockton. Now, if they take that away, he's still got a few other options. This has all been talked ad nauseum over the last several weeks on tweets, blogs, etc.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:04 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
This playoff season has really been an eye opener for me as far as Jokic goes. I knew he was good, but since I rarely ever watched the Nuggets I guess I didnt realize just how good he is. Watching him score in a variety of ways against a very good defender in Bam was just super impressive. Frankly, seeing the bag of moves he has, it's a bit surprising that he doesnt regularly average close to or over 30 ppg. I think he could do that without being a ball hog since it's not like Denver has a bunch of guys who demand a ton of shots. That might change with the leap Murray is making now.

One thing for Denver, everyone keeps telling me that the advanced metrics say Jokic is a decent defender. Well he fails the eye test to me. Denver is lucky that Miami is mainly a jump shooting team. I could see Giannis and Lopez from the Bucks for example feasting on this defense that has no shot blocker or decent post defender.
Jokic can't defend anything on his heels. Once he backpedals, it's over, like a bottom 5% defender in those situations, which is a bad look for a center because recovery defense tends to go with the job description. In other spots, like rotations, active hands, blitzing a PnR, he generally rates out well by percentile, and I do think the eyeball test shows he has good hands on defense, and much more awareness and a higher activity level than he did earlier in his career.

Yeah, he could average 30ppg like he is right now in the playoffs, a true 3-level scorer. The 24.5ppg he averaged this year was on an insane 70% true shooting percent, best in the league. Increase in volume does mean a drop in efficiency, as it would for all players, but meh, when you do end up watching Jokic for long enough, you see that "getting his" is never part of the game plan. If his teammates are hitting shots and the lead is big, he just goes with it.

Last edited by westsideboy; 06-12-2023 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-12-2023, 09:15 PM

Well Jokic couldn't get it done tonight, but did manage to score 28 points, 16 rebounds, played 42 minutes, to help his team win it's first championship.

Pretty crazy game.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:54 AM

3,939 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well Jokic couldn't get it done tonight, but did manage to score 28 points, 16 rebounds, played 42 minutes, to help his team win it's first championship.

Pretty crazy game.
They got it done last night. Hats off to them. Jokic got Finals MVP which is more sweet than regular season MVP.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:36 AM

Vindication for sure.

No triple double is possible when your teammates can't buy a jump shot, but Jokic played a more standard big man game and grinded out the Championship....his daughter was cute, but I have to admit I thought she was a little boy at first! Baby-daddy face as I call it

Old 06-13-2023, 12:13 PM

8,330 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Witnessing Nikola Jokic making history. It’s never happened before when a player leads the postseason in points, rebounds, and assists. In addition to a finals MVP and championship trophy.

May never see that again in our lifetimes. Unless perhaps Jokic does it again.

This guy is so unlike typical NBA stars. So humble and funny.

Post game interview:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9C9wl...Vydmlldw%3D%3D

Old 06-15-2023, 12:26 PM

Ok, so I have some time on my hands today, but I have been thinking for awhile that Jokic's career arc isn't as unusual as the narrative that surrounds him, aka, that he was never seen as a "real NBA player" and was a throw away 2nd round pick who came out of nowhere.

Age Equivalent season

HS Senior - averages 10 points in the Adriatic League, turns heads at the Nike Hoops Summit, keeps name in draft
College Freshman - MVP of Adriatic League, called over to the Nuggets
College Sophomore - NBA All-Rookie 1st team, 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting
College Junior/Senior - improving his game, team getting better, stats up to 18/10/6.
Age 23 season - All Star
Age 25 season - MVP
Age 27 season - NBA Champion

Take the name "Jokic" out, and his development seems like that of a star in the making, taking leaps at the ages you would expect for a big guy, maybe not an MVP curve, but nothing jumps out as odd.

Which takes us to the Quasarito narrative.........41st pick.............throw away draft and stash guy. There was talk in 2014 that Jokic should take his name out of the draft and wait another season, he did not, end up as a draft and stash. If he had waited until after his Adriatic League MVP season, he almost certainly would have been a mid-1st round pick, like the other young guys on this list, Saric and Bitadze. A mid-1st round pick accomplishing these things would still be very impressive, but I do think a lot of the narrative around Jokic is based on the misconception that being a 2nd round pick meant he wasn't a real NBA prospect, because he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABA_League_MVP

Old 06-17-2023, 09:32 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Ok, so I have some time on my hands today, but I have been thinking for awhile that Jokic's career arc isn't as unusual as the narrative that surrounds him, aka, that he was never seen as a "real NBA player" and was a throw away 2nd round pick who came out of nowhere.

Age Equivalent season

HS Senior - averages 10 points in the Adriatic League, turns heads at the Nike Hoops Summit, keeps name in draft
College Freshman - MVP of Adriatic League, called over to the Nuggets
College Sophomore - NBA All-Rookie 1st team, 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting
College Junior/Senior - improving his game, team getting better, stats up to 18/10/6.
Age 23 season - All Star
Age 25 season - MVP
Age 27 season - NBA Champion

Take the name "Jokic" out, and his development seems like that of a star in the making, taking leaps at the ages you would expect for a big guy, maybe not an MVP curve, but nothing jumps out as odd.

Which takes us to the Quasarito narrative.........41st pick.............throw away draft and stash guy. There was talk in 2014 that Jokic should take his name out of the draft and wait another season, he did not, end up as a draft and stash. If he had waited until after his Adriatic League MVP season, he almost certainly would have been a mid-1st round pick, like the other young guys on this list, Saric and Bitadze. A mid-1st round pick accomplishing these things would still be very impressive, but I do think a lot of the narrative around Jokic is based on the misconception that being a 2nd round pick meant he wasn't a real NBA prospect, because he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABA_League_MVP
Yeah a bit of a headscratcher as to why he fell to the second round. I mean, the Spurs are usually the international player magnet and even they missed out on him. I can only speculate here, but I would guess a combination of that draft being respectably strong (Wiggins, Embiid, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Zach Levine, Spencer Dinwiddie, Clint Capela, Rodney Hood) and also Jokic's deplorably bad conditioning, which didnt get to a decent level honestly till this season, and then of course he played for a relatively unknown league overseas.

I have no idea why European players seem to struggle with the idea of diet and nutrition so much. Luka, Jokic, Boris Diaw, I remember Vlade Divac used to actually smoke cigarettes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball