Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

It's time to gather Houston Astros and baseball fans together, because we're going to talk about the Astros in this new thread. Anything and all things regarding the Houston Astros organization (which includes their farm system) is what's on topic here. This is long overdue, considering existing threads for other major league teams, so it became time to get this going. Please remember the TOS rules, no trolling, and, please, keep it all kind as much as possible. And let's also have some fun here.

So, let me kick this off. Houston lost at Wrigley today to the Chicago Cubs, 3-2. They had the lead in the game but missed some opportunities to add to that middle-inning lead. J.A. Happ's outing was good, except that he made one bad pitch to Anthony Rizzo in the fifth (two-run homer). The Astros need to work on improving their road record, at 9-27 right now.

There's also some talk about Carlos Lee possibly going to the Dodgers in a trade. Not all of the details have been completely ironed out yet.

Last edited by case44; 06-30-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Here's some news about one of the Astros' young players. Very good news, I might add.

Astros second baseman Jose Altuve selected to play in first All-Star Game | astros.com: News

Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I plan on going to the Astro's game on October 3rd in Chicago vs the Chicago Cubs, the Astro's official last game as a National League team! First pitch 1:20 day game on Wednesday. I will be taking the day off and driving or taking the train down to Wrigley Field to catch my first or second game ever at Wrigley Field if I don't go down sooner to see the Crew. I guess I always liked the 'Stro's a little bit seeing how I played for them for 3 years in little league after I was traded by Seattle Mariners. Yes our little league had big league uniforms and allowed trades! It was cool when Seattle changed over from the old uniforms to the uniforms our baseball league got the new uniforms the same year as well.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 PM

What hasn't been talked about much has been the production of shortstop Jed Lowrie. He leads the team with 14 home runs (as of this writing), more than any shortstop in the major leagues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I plan on going to the Astro's game on October 3rd in Chicago vs the Chicago Cubs, the Astro's official last game as a National League team! First pitch 1:20 day game on Wednesday. I will be taking the day off and driving or taking the train down to Wrigley Field to catch my first or second game ever at Wrigley Field if I don't go down sooner to see the Crew.
Glad you're getting to do that. It'll be historic. Meanwhile, Houston fans are looking forward to your Brew Crew on Friday. I would have preferred the Astros to be playing the Cards if it has to be a road game. It has been a great rivalry, but they've also a pretty good rivalry with Chicago.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Brave of you to do this.

Too bad Lowrie and his plummeting average haven't been traded yet. Getting something for Lee was a start.

Just swept by the first place Pittsburgh Pirates.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Brave of you to do this.

Too bad Lowrie and his plummeting average haven't been traded yet. Getting something for Lee was a start.

Just swept by the first place Pittsburgh Pirates.
Good or bad, the thread was needed, anyway. As for Lowrie, I think they'll hang on to him until Carlos Correa (this year's number one pick) comes through the system. He's actually been a good acquisition for them. He's still young and possesses great potential to blossom into a legit big-league shortstop.

Yes, the 'Stros have had an abysmal road trip. They should have taken advantage of the Cubs and possibly do a split in the Pirate series. The offense, which had been productive the first two months of the season, has been going south in the last few weeks. They come home tonight and had better start getting it together.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
He's actually been a good acquisition for them. He's still young and possesses great potential to blossom into a legit big-league shortstop.
Why do you think he's not a legit big-league shortstop now?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why do you think he's not a legit big-league shortstop now?
I think he's good now. He's got more homers than any other shortstop in baseball at this point. He's going to get a lot better. Maybe I meant to say "bona fide" if you're so picky. Regardless, he's going to continue to improve at his position and will one day become a major league All-Star. I think his future is bright.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:48 AM

Here's some very encouraging news.....

NYPL notes: Aplin arrives with authority | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Just sitting here drinking an Old Milwaukee tall boy watching the Brewers game and remembering how sweet those Astros uniforms were, man I love those things!

I got my broom ready!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball