Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Okay, folks. Those of you who picked the 'Stros to lose 100 games this year may get your wish after all (not all of you, I know, but certainly a scant few of you). Who knows? Right now, they stand at 95, but they won last night over the Reds in Cincy. I picked them to lose 98 before the season began. I was actually being cautiously optimistic that they would improve over last year's travesty. Well, look at it this way: More high draft picks to build the farm system with even further.

Also in the Astro headlines, this:

Roger Clemens pitches to son, Koby, in second start | astros.com: News

Thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
That had to have been a special moment, Case. Quite a sight. Do you think Roger will continue his comeback? Me, personally? I think he should call it a career. He's just too old.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 AM

Astros are 7-7 this month after a 5-22 August. Won last night, 5-0.

Also, earlier in the week, Bo Porter from the Marlins coaching staff interviewed for the 'Stros manager position. Tony DeFrancesco (interim manager) interviewed a few days ago.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Here's some encouraging news for Astros fans. Yes, more things need to happen at the parent club level, but take a look at this...

Luhnow's work has Astros' affiliates rising | astros.com: News

Dramatic improvement in only a year's time where it's important to establish winning habits.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Here's some encouraging news for Astros fans. Yes, more things need to happen at the parent club level, but take a look at this...

Luhnow's work has Astros' affiliates rising | astros.com: News

Dramatic improvement in only a year's time where it's important to establish winning habits.
I haven't doubted Luhnow one bit on how he's changing the 'Stros. He'll have to search for a DH for you guys next year. Too bad the big league club didn't win more games, but he's taking the time to evaluate the talent he has at all levels. I'm not surprised at all by the improvement you've made in the farm system, as it was only the biggest turnaround in baseball. I think next year will be very interesting to watch, but in that tough AL West, I don't know if you'll avoid 100 losses.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Why did the Astros fire their radio crew?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why did the Astros fire their radio crew?
Milo Hamilton was retiring, and Brett Dolan and Dave Raymond did not have their contracts renewed. It's likely that management wants a totally fresh, new team during the team's American League transition next season. It's going to be a real makeover with the new CSN-Houston coming in on television, so they decided to make changes on radio, too.

Changing gears, any thoughts from any of you on the hiring of Bo Porter as the Astros' new manager?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 AM

341 posts, read 802,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Changing gears, any thoughts from any of you on the hiring of Bo Porter as the Astros' new manager?
Trendy pick, picking a manager that came from a winning program instead of veteran managers like B.Melvin who could of been the manager for the Astros instead of Mills. Without talent, you can only go so far unless maturity of talent comes quickly.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
I'm skeptical of Bo Porter. Not much experience. Changing leagues. I would have preferred a more veteran presence. Actually, I was hoping they'd keep DeFrancesco.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I'm skeptical of Bo Porter. Not much experience. Changing leagues. I would have preferred a more veteran presence. Actually, I was hoping they'd keep DeFrancesco.
Porter can really help them right away, even though this is his first crack at managing in the majors, but he'll have to go through the extreme patience of at least another losing season while they find the right youngsters to play every day. He's going into a hard division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball