Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Is CSN Houston screwing over Houston fans?
Back in the 90s I used to follow the Houston Rockets when I lived in Missouri.
I finally moved to Houston and was excited about following the Houston Rockets... and then I find out that I can't watch them because I have Directv.

Ok, it happens, they are working on an agreement.
This is the part that surprised me about this whole story:

Comcast SportsNet Houston plans October launch - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Teams are part owners
CSN Houston is owned by the NBC Sports Group and by the Astros (46.384 percent) and Rockets (30.923 percent). In addition to games, it also will feature Rockets- and Astros-themed programming plus high school and college programming.
Combined, the Astros and Rockets own 77.3% of CSN Houston
Seems to me... like the Astros and Houston Rockets are screwing over the Houston fan base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Some more information, that make me think that the Astros/Rockets are at fault

CSN Houston stalemate continues; DirecTV CEO bashes high RSN fee requests | Four DVRs, no waiting | a Chron.com blog - Nov. 2012
Quote:

As Rockets fans clamor for increased carriage of Comcast SportsNet Houston — the new channel owned by the Rockets, Astros and NBC Sports Group — the CEO of DirecTV said higher subscriber fees for regional sports networks are examples of a “broken” distribution system.

The NBC Sports Group is seeking a reported $3.40 per subscriber per month for CSN Houston, while Time Warner’s new Spanish- and English-language Lakers channels in Los Angeles, which are available on most L.A.-area cable systems plus AT&T U-verse, are seeking $3.95.

While distributors complain about price, CSN Houston officials counter that they are providing increased content at what they think is a fair cost.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,850 times
I don't know whats going on but this sucks not being able to watch the Rockets.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I don't know whats going on but this sucks not being able to watch the Rockets.
I noticed since this deal the rockets have not been getting much press as least not as much as they use too, a shame really the rockets are hot right now, and I think next season they could go champ, once lin/harden jell as a team

Old 01-04-2013, 05:16 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I noticed since this deal the rockets have not been getting much press as least not as much as they use too, a shame really the rockets are hot right now, and I think next season they could go champ, once lin/harden jell as a team
Or once Dwight Howard is traded to Houston. ;-)

Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,866 times
IMHO both the Astros and the Rockets are shooting themselves in the foot by affiliating themselves with one segment of the paid TV marketplace. ESPECIALLY the Astros who need all the help they can get to retain what's left of their fan base.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM

484 posts, read 467,791 times
And now the news that the Astros blocked a CSN Houston deal with DirecTV. I was confident they'd get a deal done close to baseball season. Now, I'm not so sure.

Sources: Astros Blocked a Potential Deal That Would Have Brought CSN Houston, Rockets Games to DirecTV - Houston - News - Hair Balls

The reality that Houstonians might be able to watch 120 or more Texas Rangers games and possibly only 20 Astros games (those vs the Rangers on FSSW) plus any on regular Fox is increasingly likely by the day. Crazy. It didn't really matter that the Rangers were able to air in Houston when the teams were in different leagues and on the same channel; heck, maybe 30 games cleared all year. Could be a much bigger deal this season.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Rockets can suck my ..... because I'm not going to the NBA All-Star weekend event that they are hosting this year in February.
Who knows, I might end up going ... since I bet nobody is gonna go to it, lol.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Rockets can suck my ..... because I'm not going to the NBA All-Star weekend event that they are hosting this year in February.
Who knows, I might end up going ... since I bet nobody is gonna go to it, lol.

Why not go? It's not like Houston host's the NBA All-star game every year.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
Get Comcast. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: