Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
As an A's fan, I don't understand the idea behind Designated Blackley for assignment and goofing around with guys like Stinson instead.

Great pickup for Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:15 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
As an A's fan, I don't understand the idea behind Designated Blackley for assignment and goofing around with guys like Stinson instead.

Great pickup for Houston.
Might not be appetizing to look at as an individual, but he threw well last year, and that's what management liked. Time will tell with him. They're planning to use him in long relief for now.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:20 PM

Tonight, both Brad Peacock and Chris Carter get to face their former club. Carter will be batting third in tonight's game.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM

20% of the Astros' 25-man roster are composed of ex-A's players

1. Chris Carter
2. Brett Wallace
3. Carlos Pena
4. Travis Blackley
5. Brad Peacock

Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Case, can you explain to me what exactly are the 'stros doing with their payroll at 25M? Is it a move by the new owner to bring up all young guys and stack picks and rebuild through the draft and are the fans in Houston okay with this? In Chicago Theo is doing that with the cubs by saying hey look we are gonna suck for a while but be patient we want to do this thing right and get out from all these bad contracts and build with young talent and through their farm system. It seems cubs fans don't seem to mind since the cubs were honest with them that this is what they are doing, I just wonder if that is what Houston is doing?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 AM

The Astros have got to start doing a better job making contact with the baseball. They made Dan Straily look too good last night. So far, last Sunday's game was the game to remember. At least, they've snapped out of their scoreless streak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Case, can you explain to me what exactly are the 'stros doing with their payroll at 25M? Is it a move by the new owner to bring up all young guys and stack picks and rebuild through the draft and are the fans in Houston okay with this? In Chicago Theo is doing that with the cubs by saying hey look we are gonna suck for a while but be patient we want to do this thing right and get out from all these bad contracts and build with young talent and through their farm system. It seems cubs fans don't seem to mind since the cubs were honest with them that this is what they are doing, I just wonder if that is what Houston is doing?
GM Jeff Luhnow is primarily rebuilding the club through the draft like you said, MC. Luhnow has taken an unusual (but gradually, a little more common) approach to this, in that he uses analysis and statistics in making decisions on players. It was very effective for him when he was in charge of player development in St Louis, and you've no doubt seen the results of that. In his first year as Houston's GM, the minor league system had made the biggest one-year positive turnaround out of all the major league clubs, thanks to his commitment to going younger and keeping players drafted during the Ed Wade era. They couldn't keep even moderate veteran players when there is an opportunity with a really good prospect.

With the type of turnaround that's been made in the minors (going from losing records to strong winning records), that should translate into more success at the major league level. The Astros are trying to do it as quickly as possible, but without making rash decisions. We've got good prospects that need more seasoning in the minors before they get brought up to perform in Houston. Jon Singleton (currently our top prospect, first baseman) is serving a drug suspension now, but when that's over, he'll be with the Astros in no time, as he has demonstrated his excellent hitting ability this past spring. While I have the highest respect for Theo Epstein and am aware of his Boston success, I'm sure he'll bring his North Sider club back to respectability, but I also believe that Luhnow can get his group in Houston to the top quicker. You and I are going to see some tough losses in H-town, but there'll also eventually be some good and exciting wins, too.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
They made Dan Straily look too good last night. .
Or Straily made the Astros look bad.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 AM

In other news, Jose Altuve is getting off to a good start, hitting .438 in the first week. He went 2-for-4 in last night's outing, including the drought-busting RBI.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Or Straily made the Astros look bad.
It was kind of a slap in the face to the Astros when Beane sends Dan Straily directly to AAA following his win (and 11 ks in 6.2IP) against them.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:52 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
The Astros have got to start doing a better job making contact with the baseball. They made Dan Straily look too good last night. So far, last Sunday's game was the game to remember. At least, they've snapped out of their scoreless streak.

GM Jeff Luhnow is primarily rebuilding the club through the draft like you said, MC. Luhnow has taken an unusual (but gradually, a little more common) approach to this, in that he uses analysis and statistics in making decisions on players. It was very effective for him when he was in charge of player development in St Louis, and you've no doubt seen the results of that. In his first year as Houston's GM, the minor league system had made the biggest one-year positive turnaround out of all the major league clubs, thanks to his commitment to going younger and keeping players drafted during the Ed Wade era. They couldn't keep even moderate veteran players when there is an opportunity with a really good prospect.

With the type of turnaround that's been made in the minors (going from losing records to strong winning records), that should translate into more success at the major league level. The Astros are trying to do it as quickly as possible, but without making rash decisions. We've got good prospects that need more seasoning in the minors before they get brought up to perform in Houston. Jon Singleton (currently our top prospect, first baseman) is serving a drug suspension now, but when that's over, he'll be with the Astros in no time, as he has demonstrated his excellent hitting ability this past spring. While I have the highest respect for Theo Epstein and am aware of his Boston success, I'm sure he'll bring his North Sider club back to respectability, but I also believe that Luhnow can get his group in Houston to the top quicker. You and I are going to see some tough losses in H-town, but there'll also eventually be some good and exciting wins, too.
I'm trying to remain a believer, but wow, do these guys suck (big league team) or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball