Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 12:38 AM

1,228 posts, read 725,731 times

Advertisements

Undeclared cash is indelibly etched in the Australian psyche, in fact it's a national pasttime, from the little kids selling at a stall on the street to a multi billionaire ( as in the late Kerry Packer )
I love cash myself, and trust me, there are still umpteen ways to acquire it without breaking ( many ) laws... lol
There's not a tradie/small business/backyarder/market gardener/small plant hirer, scrap metal and/or second hand dealer who doesn't have a stash of cash... a mate and I had a second hand construction materials and scrap yard for a while many years ago.... we were known locally as 'Johnny Cash' and 'Dougie Dollar'.... haha, was pretty funny at the time.
Troubes, you've no doubt been to the Rapid Creek and Mindal Beach markets in Darwin, yeah ?
Even now, ya don't see too many EFTPOS gadjets ....
My take on the whole thing is I prefer to see the young mechanic doing cashies on the weekend out of his back yard shed rather than cooking meth in the same shed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBg7DnQjjcY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 12:04 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Undeclared cash is indelibly etched in the Australian psyche, in fact it's a national pasttime, from the little kids selling at a stall on the street to a multi billionaire ( as in the late Kerry Packer )
I love cash myself, and trust me, there are still umpteen ways to acquire it without breaking ( many ) laws... lol
There's not a tradie/small business/backyarder/market gardener/small plant hirer, scrap metal and/or second hand dealer who doesn't have a stash of cash... a mate and I had a second hand construction materials and scrap yard for a while many years ago.... we were known locally as 'Johnny Cash' and 'Dougie Dollar'.... haha, was pretty funny at the time.
Troubes, you've no doubt been to the Rapid Creek and Mindal Beach markets in Darwin, yeah ?
Even now, ya don't see too many EFTPOS gadjets ....
My take on the whole thing is I prefer to see the young mechanic doing cashies on the weekend out of his back yard shed rather than cooking meth in the same shed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBg7DnQjjcY
Yeah I don’t know how many times I’ve heard someone say about a concreter, or some other tradie - “ I know a guy who’ll do a cheap cash job on the weekend”.
Restaurants, fish and chip shops, takeaways etc all used to take a heap more cash back in the day too.
They’d even pay their staff cash in hand.
Cash jobs was also something overseas temporary visa holders would always chase. (along with fruit picking etc)
There’s still plenty of cash about, but nowhere near what it was, especially during and post Covid.

Old 05-26-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
UK is in need of 600,000 houses plus a year. Well under half that number being built. UK is experiencing much the same as Australia is with record immigration and entrants.

I've been told that a brickie can earn GBP 400 a day. There is like Australia a great shortage in tradespeople.

Meanwhile rising rents in Australia is adding to the woes to the cost of living here. More interest rates badly needed. Too much undeclared cash in the system.
I assume you are talking about undeclared rental income here too ?
The ATO has said they are going to crack down on these things.
But the building and construction industry itself, has always been notorious for the cash economy.
I’ve heard of builders having cash safes in their houses etc.
Not sure how they do it, as houses are all a taxable expense.
Developers and builders were also notorious for giving underhanded payments to local councils etc, but I’d say this practice is not like it used to be.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:09 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I assume you are talking about undeclared rental income here too ?
The ATO has said they are going to crack down on these things.
But the building and construction industry itself, has always been notorious for the cash economy.
I’ve heard of builders having cash safes in their houses etc.
Not sure how they do it, as houses are all a taxable expense.
Developers and builders were also notorious for giving underhanded payments to local councils etc, but I’d say this practice is not like it used to be.
That along with the undeclared drug money worth ten billion dollars a year in Australia . ( nice little earner for many that goes way under the radar and highly impacting on our economy. No wonder interest rates are not having the desired outcome to date )

I suspect lots of dodgy dealings between the industries named and certain councils. Just as I suspect corruption is on a far grander scale that some would prefer to acknowledge.

In part, I suppose we are adapting to our geographical position in the world rather well.

Last edited by the troubadour; 05-27-2023 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-29-2023, 12:23 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
That along with the undeclared drug money worth ten billion dollars a year in Australia . ( nice little earner for many that goes way under the radar and highly impacting on our economy. No wonder interest rates are not having the desired outcome to date )

I suspect lots of dodgy dealings between the industries named and certain councils. Just as I suspect corruption is on a far grander scale that some would prefer to acknowledge.

In part, I suppose we are adapting to our geographical position in the world rather well.
That's more of a worldwide problem far more than an Australian one . How much would Italy's tax base increase if they somehow levied taxes on the mafia?

Old 05-29-2023, 02:05 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
That's more of a worldwide problem far more than an Australian one . How much would Italy's tax base increase if they somehow levied taxes on the mafia?
Why not include the Russian Mafia or Mexican Drug Cartels or a host of others? Italian Mafia have long been in Australia . You may recall Grafton (I think that was the town back in late seventies) even then drugs were involved.

Just because it is a world wide problem doesn't make it any the less serious . We have a massive drug problem , increasingly highly attractive to foreign cartels and seemingly impossible to stop.

Legalise drugs , go after the drug dealers , imposing hefty financial penalties, to anyone involved in drugs for gain. AS mentioned we have the most expensive drugs and overly tempting to entice all too many. Our choice the sort of country we want to live in, a little further down the road.

Back to the turbo immigration policy that Australia appears to be hell bent on following. Are we developing ethnic slums in the future ? Letting people in not able in many cases to earn above an average wage (if lucky) in one of the worlds more expensive countries, can hardly make for a happy, harmonious society surely?

Old 05-29-2023, 02:17 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
Why not include the Russian Mafia or Mexican Drug Cartels or a host of others? Italian Mafia have long been in Australia . You may recall Grafton (I think that was the town back in late seventies) even then drugs were involved.

Just because it is a world wide problem doesn't make it any the less serious . We have a massive drug problem , increasingly highly attractive to foreign cartels and seemingly impossible to stop.

Legalise drugs , go after the drug dealers , imposing hefty financial penalties, to anyone involved in drugs for gain. AS mentioned we have the most expensive drugs and overly tempting to entice all too many. Our choice the sort of country we want to live in, a little further down the road.

Back to the turbo immigration policy that Australia appears to be hell bent on following. Are we developing ethnic slums in the future ? Letting people in not able in many cases to earn above an average wage (if lucky) in one of the worlds more expensive countries, can hardly make for a happy, harmonious society surely?
Because I don't have the time or resources to list every organized criminal gang that operates in each of the worlds 195 independent counties that is why. Italy is just the among the most famous and recognizable examples.

I never said it makes it less serious, i said its hardly a unique problem to Australia.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:

The town you are referring to was actually Griffith in NSW.
I realise you are from WA and not NSW.
Griffith is in the Riverina region of NSW and has a strong Italian heritage there.
They pioneered the region with the Murrumbidgee Irrigation System and turned marginal land into productive agricultural land.
Great wineries and other agriculture produced there now.
But yeah, there was an organised criminal element of Italian Mafia involved in the 70s and 80s.
It's also famous for Australia's first political assassination, that of anti-drugs campaigner Donald Mackay:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald...ugs_campaigner)

You don't hear much about the Mafia in this region anymore, not since the 80s anyway.
The town and area is still growing steadily in population, and could certainly support more people.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:50 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The town you are referring to was actually Griffith in NSW.
I realise you are from WA and not NSW.
Griffith is in the Riverina region of NSW and has a strong Italian heritage there.
They pioneered the region with the Murrumbidgee Irrigation System and turned marginal land into productive agricultural land.
Great wineries and other agriculture produced there now.
But yeah, there was an organised criminal element of Italian Mafia involved in the 70s and 80s.
It's also famous for Australia's first political assassination, that of anti-drugs campaigner Donald Mackay:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald...ugs_campaigner)

You don't hear much about the Mafia in this region anymore, not since the 80s anyway.
The town and area is still growing steadily in population, and could certainly support more people.
I know the Italian community well and overall they are fully integrated into mainstream culture. Those born in Italy are generally over 70 in age. Their children have occupations all across the spectrum and partners of all sorts of nationalities. I do not know of any current mafia activity.

Tax evasion is a world wide problem, not an Australian problem specifically.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:46 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Because I don't have the time or resources to list every organized criminal gang that operates in each of the worlds 195 independent counties that is why. Italy is just the among the most famous and recognizable examples.

I never said it makes it less serious, i said its hardly a unique problem to Australia.
Largely because of Hollywood movies and the "catchy" name. It's similar for the Japanese Yakuza or Hong Kong Triads.

Seriously, something like "a cannabis growing group in Central West Queensland" or "Meth producers in Birmingham, England" just doesn't conjure up the same image.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand