Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2023, 03:49 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yeah, if you head to Chinatown it's not exceedingly difficult to find cigarettes that have not had any excise paid on them.

It's actually pretty incredible that smuggling is not more widespread given the tax.
I would suggest it is very widespread. But seek bigger returns. Drugs of bigger value than a few packs of smokes more on their radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Why would such people be solely willing to break the law regarding certain drugs or goods but not others? A criminal is a criminal. If they are happy to sell Meth they would be happy to sell plenty of other illegal goods
I'm sure you already know but to underline a few points.

With methamphetamine, that is running rampant through this country and WA in particular, it is the ease of manufacture. Anybody and everybody can do it and minimal risk involved.

Already explained. It is so mainstream that many making it probably don't give a lot of thought to be a criminal. Experience has shown me this to be so.
Nothing to do with other drugs. Obviously some do other things , but not with the ease of making meth.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:07 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I would suggest it is very widespread. But seek bigger returns. Drugs of bigger value than a few packs of smokes more on their radar.
I’m not a smoker, but cigarettes are still highly addictive.
And the taxes on this product are big.
Even getting some duty free from an airport, or just somewhere without the tax is a big deal to a smoker.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I’m not a smoker, but cigarettes are still highly addictive.
And the taxes on this product are big.
Even getting some duty free from an airport, or just somewhere without the tax is a big deal to a smoker.
Being an ex smoker I know that for a fact. But simply, smoking does not have the appeal it once did. In a time where vapouring is the go with youth, methamphetamine, (a two billion dollar business in West Australia alone ) which itself is highly addictive . Legalising or decriminalising this would make a big dent in the black economy (increase tax revenue) and help rid certain corruptive practices too prevalent at the same time.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:24 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Being an ex smoker I know that for a fact. But simply, smoking does not have the appeal it once did. In a time where vapouring is the go with youth, methamphetamine, (a two billion dollar business in West Australia alone ) which itself is highly addictive . Legalising or decriminalising this would make a big dent in the black economy (increase tax revenue) and help rid certain corruptive practices too prevalent at the same time.
I’m not a big fan of legalising drugs, but can see your points.
Methamphetamines in particular, can cause profound mental and personality disorders, and increased crime.
Marijuana is ok for medical use, but even that drug will cause big problems with long term use.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I’m not a big fan of legalising drugs, but can see your points.
Methamphetamines in particular, can cause profound mental and personality disorders, and increased crime.
Marijuana is ok for medical use, but even that drug will cause big problems with long term use.
I'm very aware of the effects of methamphetamines. But I'm equally aware of the impact it is having on what's going on in Perth. It is so big that it is attracting incomers from Eastern States as well as overseas. It is useless attempting to outline the matter to anyone to anything to bring matters to a halt. At least we could remove it from cartel hands and all that implies.

As I have it 'quiet' around me for the moment, I have little alternative but to
live with that. Not the best situation and we are surely looking at serious issues further down the road?

By the way, I note smoking is on the increase with the young in Australia. How do they possibly afford it ?

Old 06-07-2023, 10:34 PM

I note Canada is experiencing the same issues around the turbo immigration intake. Rising rentals, (if able to obtain one at all) high inflation but higher rates than Australia.

Recently read an article on this where in the commentary a number of Canadians were seeking (or indeed) had moved out to cheaper locations or were thinking of it.

I know a few Australians are moving/have moved to Asian locations, indeed a couple on my street moved to Spain, pre pandemic, no idea how they feared. But don't detect it as being a flow of any sized proportions yet. I wonder if this will change? Not that easy deciding on a country these days that will tick all the boxes.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:29 PM

I've been reading the critique with regards to the RBA recent interest rate rise . Do those commentators really consider it correct, that all are penalised by high inflation because interest rates were kept too low for too long? Why should those of us, who put up with low term deposit rates for years, while government threw money at first home buyers, those renovating, and generally doing everything to maintain inflated housing bubble?

People surely couldn't expect interest rates to remain at historical lows. But high immigration causing ever inflating house prices along with rents, are all signs of a very broken Australia taking shape indeed. We need to stop overseas buyers further inflicting pain on the market as well.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:41 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,896,327 times
Here is what I'll tell you.

1. The rental crisis on the east coast will be over by Christmas. That's not a guess it's a promise. Ringing around, there is an absolute avalanche of housing supply that will hit the market from late spring. Vacancies are already rising. Unbelievable that property is being bid up into that.

2. Following on from that, even with the stupid levels of immigration at the moment, rising vacancy rates and higher interest rates are going to sledgehammer a lot of outer suburban resi.

3. There are a lot of second tier lenders that heavily exposed to a lot of Covid borrowers on interest only loans. APRA, or Wayne Byers really, has been reasonably strict with the Big 4 and interest only loans (ie they don't exist in any significant way for the Big 4)...but go down to lenders below them.

4. The immigration tap will be turned off either before or after the next election. It's worth pointing out that whichever side had won last year this large intake was basically policy for both sides. Not any more. They both know they've overcooked the goose when they've made legal immigration a mainstream issue. When was the last time that was the case? The mid-90s?

5. The supply of new housing will continue into 2025. Likely that rents will fall in real terms if not nominal for a lot of outer metro areas in Sydney, Melbourne and, to a lesser extent, Brisbane.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:41 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,316,951 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW1BSd0RIrk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand