Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,473 times

Advertisements

This is a shame:

Blow to Australia World Cup hopes as bid ranked the 'least profitable'

I cannot recount the economics, but I thought the Sydney Olympics was profitable? Also Australia has weathered the GFC better than most other nations.

I would be curious to see how they came to their conclusions. The cynical side of me thinks there are other issues at stake (financial back handers being one of them). Even if it is a full and fair assessment, it is a bit woeful that the tournament hosting allocation is driven purely on a cash basis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 04:50 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
This is a shame:

Blow to Australia World Cup hopes as bid ranked the 'least profitable'

I cannot recount the economics, but I thought the Sydney Olympics was profitable? Also Australia has weathered the GFC better than most other nations.

I would be curious to see how they came to their conclusions. The cynical side of me thinks there are other issues at stake (financial back handers being one of them). Even if it is a full and fair assessment, it is a bit woeful that the tournament hosting allocation is driven purely on a cash basis...
FIFA is only interested in its own profits, not the amount that the Australian Organising comitee makes. Ive no doubt we could do it well, with very little safety problems, efficeintly and at a good profit to the local community.

Thats not what FIFA is interested in however. Its TV rights and official merchandice with FIFA logos on in that gets them its money, and TV rights are going to be worth a lot less in Europe and the americas if the matches are being played in Australia. All matches played in oz will be screened prime time to almost half the worlds population thats true, however the asian market is no where near as big or lucrative as the Euro and American one.

I got a sneeky suspicion Qatar are going to win. A country of less than 2 million people, with a crap football team ranked 120 in the world and no FIFA standard football stadiums. With all these bribery allegations going on the whole process stinks of corruption in my opinion.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-30-2010 at 05:06 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
well FIFA are a joke then.

I understand the time constraint issue, but if it was okay for the Olympics I can't see that it would be a problem for FIFA.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Australia is easily the better of the bunch. The States has staged it in fairly recent times and Japan/Korea only eight years ago.
Bit of a joke if Qatar get it. Surely they would have to share it with other Gulf states,being so small themselves.
To further the World Game in this part of the world there should be no hesitation awarding it to Australia..but as usual money and back handed deals will decide the ultimate outcome.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,945 times
Yes, unfortunately the way it works is graft and kickbacks, which is not our way. So in our misguided, self-righteous purity and holiness, we'll lose out.

The time zone is not a factor at all. Avid soccer fans are complete fanatics the world over, they'll happily stay up all hours of the night for it. They do now for the regular league games. My son watched Barcelona destroy Real Madrid the other morning, as did several people at work. 3 or 4am or some ungodly hour like that but they all made it to work on time.

With our tourism industry struggling, we could do with a good jolt like the World Cup. Of course we'd have to put up with the insecure footie fans constantly moaning and slagging it off, like they were during World Cup South Africa. What a bunch of close-minded whingers.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,212 times
Well they still say its a two horse race between the U.S and Australia

But I still can't go past the U.S

There's just so much more benefits to Soccer staging it in the U.S
Time Zones, TV rights, Crowds, plus the chance to promote the game
in such a large market I think will get them over the line. Still you never
know, they had the world cup recently in 1994 so that might hurt
Plus there's lots of Europeans on the board, Europeans for some reason
tend to be born with a Anti American attitude.....so we will see

Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Congratulations Qatar.

FIFA on the other hand, can get stuffed.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,473 times
Good luck to the teams playing in Qatar in June/July - well done FIFA. A history of corruption and no credibility in my book. Too many stuffy old blokes trying to line their pockets.

A shame that Australia didn't get a chance to host, but also surprised England missed out on 2018 as I was sure they had a good chance.

I grew up playing and watching soccer/football and hope the sport continues to grow in prominance and popularity here.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Its very odd. Developing countries 4 world cups in a row?

England should be quite annoyed & I wouldn't be suprised if their media start hounding Sep Blatter & Co ---

Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Its very odd. Developing countries 4 world cups in a row?

England should be quite annoyed & I wouldn't be suprised if their media start hounding Sep Blatter & Co ---
Yes, its interesting isn't it. I guess its good in a way?

But No drinking in Qatar, that will disappoint a lot of soccer fans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand