Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 04:44 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
That was Wayne Carey, bonking his team mates married with 2 kids wife
The team got rid of him even though he was their Star player. Talk about
putting it where it doesn't belong, Warnie would know about that

Oh well..can't complain. We would have nothing to gossip about around the
water cooler if it wasn't for these idiots
oh yeah Wayne Carey "The King" was maaaasive news. Not only was it his team mate, but best friend & captain of the club... whoa! thats too much team bonding going on there

the cricket.....well so glad our bowlers are better batsman than the top order

Cousins, he was the unlucky one that got caught - pushed things too far... when I use to go out.... lets just say I hope other footy players learnt from him ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 02:48 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Change of subject, but do you guys suffer much from mosquito bites?

I was reading an article on the way home last night (in Mx) that stated that the average Sydneysider received around 5-10 bites a week, especially this time of the year .

I am mosquito bait (my wife calls me her bug magnet as I keep them away from her!) - in some parts of NZ the sandflies would relentlessly attack me so the mossies are far better here than the sandflies in NZ were (although Christchurch they are non existant)...!

Keen to hear other people's experiences. Also if anyone has any practical remedies that may work, in terms of a) keeping them away, and b) treating the bites.

I often use a spray repellant which is fine (we sit out on our balcony a lot most evenings) but curious to hear other remedies.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post

I was reading an article on the way home last night (in Mx) that stated that the average Sydneysider received around 5-10 bites a week, especially this time of the year .

I am mosquito bait (my wife calls me her bug magnet as I keep them away from her!) - in some parts of NZ the sandflies would relentlessly attack me so the mossies are far better here than the sandflies in NZ were (although Christchurch they are non existant)...!

Keen to hear other people's experiences. Also if anyone has any practical remedies that may work, in terms of a) keeping them away, and b) treating the bites.

I often use a spray repellant which is fine (we sit out on our balcony a lot most evenings) but curious to hear other remedies.
Yes, I suffer! I'm a mozzie magnet too. I could be sitting right by one of those citronella candles and they'll go for me every time! They say they're attracted to things like dark clothing, perspiration, perfumes, alcohol, heat, etc. Avoiding those doesn't help me. Except I can't help body heat, so maybe we're just totally HOT ADGreen!

Luckily, where I live in Perth, there aren't that many. Too dry and windy perhaps? If I'm out in the evening in suburbs closer to the river or lakes then I'll definitely get bitten. The bites then swell up and they itch like crazy!

I've heard all sorts of remedies and natural preventative measures but the only thing that works for me is an insect repellent with DEET. If I still get bitten (coz they manage to find the tiny spots that I missed with the repellent), then Paraderm Plus is an antiseptic cream that deadens the itchiness somewhat. A bandaid over top of the bite also helps it from getting worse when it gets rubbed against clothes or the sheets in bed. Sometimes I need quite a few bandaids! Vitamin B is another theory but I take those all the time anyway. Peppermint oil - yup, tried that too.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post

I don't recall large numbes of mossies when I was in Sydney, but can recall some around Scarborough Park - southern suburbs - at intermittent times of the year, usually late summer or early autumn.
However I have lived in a couple of places where they were a big problem, notably Mandurah WA and the Clarence Valley, far northern NSW.
The first step is repelling their presence, citronella burning candles do work to an extent.
Secondly, empty all water sources in the backyard, especially water under pots etc, or even bird water fountains.
Finally wearing repellant helps when they are not too fierce, I found that Fantastic Off spray better than Aerogard. When they are fierce, you even need to spray your clothes.
Since they will come into the house, all-night mozzie zappers plugged into the wall will help. They don't consume a lot of electricity and are long-lasting.
Do not take mosquitoes lightly, they spread diseases such as Ross River virus and Bharma Forest fever.
Sandflies are not so much a health hazard, but a terrible pest - and can render a place unliveable.
Unfortuantely - nothing works effectively - even the old fisherman's tale of taking Vitamin B1 tablets.
Very heavy dosing of repellant is needed, particularly around the lower legs. The only redeeming feature is that they usually don't come inside the house, and don't bite through clothing.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Thanks Vichel & Derek40 - lots of excellent advice! I have never really addressed the issue, but at the moment I have around 20 bites and they itch like crazy (twitch, twitch!).

Vichel - ha ha - maybe we just are hot to the mozzies indeed (they love our blood) .

I also tried dosing up on vitamin B1 and consuming more Vegemite, but that made little difference. I'll get some Paraderm Plus tomorrow for treatment, and I think there are some areas that need draining . I'll pick up some Fantastic Off and invest in one of those plug in thangmes.

One of my worst experiences was in Adelaide at the start of 1999. A friend and I were staying at a hostel in the city in February. The mesh on the window was ripped open and I woke in the morning with around 120 bites all over my body. My friend had between 5-10 and he thanked me for keeping them off him. I got sick over the next few days and was bed ridden.

Also my grandparents had a farm on NZ's South Island's West Coast. My grandfather took me fishing one day at a local creek. The sandflies were absolutely relentless - the only part of my body exposed were my hands and face - I still received over 20 bites!

One other area notorious for sandflies is Fiordland - a beautiful scenic spot in NZ's SW area. I did the Milford Track walk and at the end there is an area called "Sandfly Point" - once again, I was bait and got peppered. I must admit I am a bit lax with preventative measures so I need to lift my game!

Thanks again for the tips

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
I used to live in Sydney and found the further away from the harbour the more mozzies there were. When I lived at McMahons Point - 50 metres from the harbour - there were hardly any! They mustn't like salt water much! Now I live on the far north coast... and the mozzies here are on steroids! They are everywhere... even though I am very careful about standing water etc.

One trick I employed and which works quite well is that I put an old ceiling fan on the ceiling of the verandah - it doesn't do much to keep us cool out there but the mozzies (and flies) have trouble flying under it... they get blown off course!

Vicks works really well to stop the itch of a bite... stops it right away. Keep a little jar nearby, together with a cotton bud to apply the Vicks to the bite. If you use your finger, then later rub your eyes.... very ouchy!! I have a basket on the verandah that contains citronella oil for the oil lamps, mozzie coils, citronella tea candles, sandalwood sticks, Aerogard, Vicks and Mortein mozzie lanterns. Some evenings we only need the coils, other times we need the whole darn lot!

Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
I think in North America,
some of our bug repellants have eucalyptus added as a natural repellant. Worth looking into. (certain varieties?)

Also in North America:
Bug-zappers do not work for mosquitos because they aren't attracted to light, but darkness.
Dark coloured clothing is supposedly worse too.
Bug zappers are mostly good at killing harmless moths. (couldn't that attract spiders? )

Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Warney can't keep it in his pants, some things never change........

Old 12-20-2010, 01:01 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Warney can't keep it in his pants, some things never change........
how funny, that didn't last long

Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
how funny, that didn't last long
It was Liz Hurley he was seeing right? If so she is beautiful.

If he's going to cheat on her, he'll cheat on anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand