Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM

62 posts, read 77,699 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the responses.

I am sure some of you have seen the overcrowding stories in the media (finally).

A quick word about "No-Kill." No-Kill does not in any way shape or form mean that the shelter will not kill animals. Animals are dying on a daily basis. A very VERY small number are due to health reasons and a very VERY small number are due to true aggression. Dogs with minor behavior issues (jumping / nipping (NOT biting)/ fear) are getting killed but as long as they have a 90% live outcome they are still compliant with "No-Kill." Dogs pulled by rescue partners (like APA) are included in the live outcome statistics.

If you or anyone you know is looking for a pet....PLEASE....PLEASE....tell them to go to Austin Animal Center or Town Lake Animal Center.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,800,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tick-tack View Post
If you or anyone you know is looking for a pet....PLEASE....PLEASE....tell them to go to Austin Animal Center or Town Lake Animal Center.
Just did, today...a coworker who's been wanting a cat for some time now. I mentioned the overcrowding and she responded by saying they would move forward with plans and go to the center after work. I'm sure she'll find the perfect cat for them, and it will have a very loving home.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,115,688 times
We have a rescue cat now, and she is probably the best cat we ever had. I have no idea if that was due to her history or is just her personality, but we are really happy with her.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 PM

844 posts, read 2,023,098 times
1. Do you know that the city municipal shelter moved from Town Lake to Levander Loop in East Austin?
Yes

2. Would the fact the shelter is now in East Austin keep you from going there to adopt a pet?
No

3. Did you know that do to he overcrowding Austin Animal Center has moved 60 dogs back to TLAC?
Yes

4. Did you know that dogs are being euthanized for space?
No

5. Do you know that no-kill means they can still use that label as long as 90% of the animals that come in leave alive (ie 10% are killed)?
No

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,128,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post

5. Do you know that no-kill means they can still use that label as long as 90% of the animals that come in leave alive (ie 10% are killed)?
No
AAC is an open intake shelter which means exactly what it sounds like, they cannot turn an animal away. So that includes sick, injured, and aggressive animals. For the last two years ACC has sent every unweaned kitten to APA! AHS or their own foster program, over 700 unweaned kittens saved just this year! In nearly every other shelter in the country, unweaned kittens are either not accepted (turned away at the door) or immediately euthanized. AAC and APA! work together to save every single puppy who tests positive for parvo, at almost any other shelter not only would the puppy who tested positive be euthanized but they would "preventatively euth" all the puppies and unvaccinated dogs in the entire shelter (no kidding). Animals with ringworm, mange, uninjured feral cats, FIV cats, all saved at AAC with help from the rescue partners.

AAC and APA! and all the resuce partners are working all-out to save animals. We should all be proud of them. Spend just one day in a high kill shelter like San Marcos, San Antonio, Bastrop, Houston, Arlington. Your hair will curl.

There is no perfect world in which 100% of all animals presented to an open intake shelter will leave alive -- 18 year old stray cats with underlying diseases are hit by cars and taken there, aggressive dogs with bit histories are taken there, dying animals whose owners can't afford vet care are taken there, it goes on.

I am very saddened that there wasn't more planning to have the new shelter exceed the capacity of the old one, and no short-term plan to bring in trailers, throw up tents, etc. to keep from killing for space. But overall, compared to 99% of all animal shelters in the US -- I am exceedingly proud of the Austin Animal Center and all their rescue partners!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,923,881 times
Some animals are euthanized because they are in so much pain because of not receiving medical care that it is the most humane way of treating their condition. I suppose many of the animals in the 10% fall into that spectrum.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,039,563 times
I suspect the overcrowding is now due to the economy being so bad. A lot of people have lost their jobs and are unable to find another one, thus they themselves are homeless and give their pet up in order for it to have food, water, and medical care instead of the streets.

Added to that is people desperate to make money and back yard breed animals for money.

Then there is the usual person who buys an animal or animals from BYB's and then finds out their apartment/ parent/landlord won't allow them to have them.

All in all the ones that suffer are the innocent pets that never did anything wrong to anyone. Then they are dumped at the shelter to be in jail away from their owners.

It is a really sad situation that these members of people's family can be so discarded like they never existed.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,623,254 times
We were thinking about "fostering" kittens until they are old enough to be rehomed, any programs like that in Austin we should consider? Are there apartments in Austin willing to rent to families who are fostering kittens as part of the animal center program?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM

535 posts, read 1,298,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Yep, I've always heard that dogs adopted from the pound are really good and happy dogs - it's as if they "knew" they were "saved" and are forever grateful for it.
I wish that had been true of our dog who we adopted from Town Lake 2 years ago. He was sweet and calm in the shelter and even was tagged as one of the volunteer favorites.

He's an 80 lb. American Bull Dog mix and he was a monster the minute we got him home. He broke out of his kennel several times before my husband finally had to weld it together and we had to use padlocks on it. He also would jump up on us and ram his body into us as if he were trying to purposely push us down.

He took out several wood panels from our privacy fence chewing out and then once he figured out that we would just replace the wood so he couldn't get out he figured out how to jump our 6ft. fence!!

He was wild and unmanageable and I threatened to take him back from whence he came several times before we finally took him to a trainer/behavorist who taught us how to establish an alpha role with our overly dominant male bulldog.

It took months of hard work and patience on our part but I can now say he has improved immensly. We take him hiking, on daily walks, on hotel stays, and we keep him in a kennel when we are not at home and at night....except for the hotel stays but he minds his manners very well in the room while we are away.

Oh, and the location of an adoptive shelter would make no difference to me if I wanted to adopt.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,128,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
We were thinking about "fostering" kittens until they are old enough to be rehomed, any programs like that in Austin we should consider? Are there apartments in Austin willing to rent to families who are fostering kittens as part of the animal center program?

You can foster kittens directly from the Austin Animal Center, they provide all medical care and some assistance with food. You can also foster kittens for the Austin Humane Society or Austin Pets Alive. They will provide medical care but you will have to pay for food, litter, toys, etc. If you live north, the Williamson County shelter has a fostering program as does Paws of Kyle.

You would have to pay your apartment's pet deposit and have landlord approval before a rescue will let you foster. Check the websites of all the organizations listed above for details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin