Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,229,772 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a birthing center (NOT in a hospital) in Austin other than the "Austin Area Birthing Center?"

Preferably one Central or South/Central.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM

44 posts, read 121,066 times
I think that this place: Services (http://www.birthwisetx.com/Services.html - broken link) has a birthing suite on site in addition to providing in-home delivery care.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,903,979 times
There are fewer and fewer out-of-hospital birthing centers in cities due to liability issues, and that federal Medicaid refuses payment for those who use "free standing" facilities. You might consider a "rural" birthing center outside Austin...

Old 06-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Actually, the "Austin Area Birthing Center" is pretty amazing. I went for a tour, and I really liked it. It's sad that there are so few birthing centers since there are fewer risks using one than delivering in a hospital. And, ironically, my insurance will pay 60% for the birthing center and 90% for a hospital. To me, it's worth having to pay the extra money to not run the massive risk of getting a staph infection in the hospital.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:31 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,903,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
It's sad that there are so few birthing centers since there are fewer risks using one than delivering in a hospital... pay the extra money to not run the massive risk of getting a staph infection in the hospital.
This has changed completely. Hospitals now have "women's wings and birthing centers" that are separate physically from the general hospital. The new Women's Center at the North Austin Medical Center (North Mopac) just built this type of facility - my daughter just gave birth to a child there last month.

The big issue with liability is not with the birth of the child (if deemed low risk), it's the mother's health that is of direct concern. Mother's who have serious medical complications in child birth will fare much better with a hospital, doctors, and surgeries close by.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
This has changed completely. Hospitals now have "women's wings and birthing centers" that are separate physically from the general hospital. The new Women's Center at the North Austin Medical Center (North Mopac) just built this type of facility - my daughter just gave birth to a child there last month.

The big issue with liability is not with the birth of the child (if deemed low risk), it's the mother's health that is of direct concern. Mother's who have serious medical complications in child birth will fare much better with a hospital, doctors, and surgeries close by.
I asked one of the midwives how often a mother or baby has died as a result of being in the birthing center vs. a hospital. She looked surprised and said that that's never happened in the 20+ years the birthing center has been operating.

I get that hospitals have birthing wings, but honestly after my last experience in a hospital (my baby died as the result of my getting a staph infection. The hospital later denied any responsibility, and in fact, denied that it was MRSA even though I was holding the blood results in my hand), and after talking to a few nurses who work in hospitals ("filthy, FILTHY place" is a direct quote), I believe a birthing center is a safer option.

Here's is a quote:

"The New England Journal of Medicine released a study in 1989 concluding that birth centers are as safe as hospital environments for delivering babies to low-risk mothers. Because birth centers reduce many standard hospital interventions such as labor induction, electronic fetal monitoring, epidurals and routine IVs, birth centers perform approximately half the number of cesarean sections as traditional hospitals."

Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
This is not a debate on one vs. the other, please. That is a different topic and a different forum.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 AM

44 posts, read 121,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I asked one of the midwives how often a mother or baby has died as a result of being in the birthing center vs. a hospital. She looked surprised and said that that's never happened in the 20+ years the birthing center has been operating.

I get that hospitals have birthing wings, but honestly after my last experience in a hospital (my baby died as the result of my getting a staph infection. The hospital later denied any responsibility, and in fact, denied that it was MRSA even though I was holding the blood results in my hand), and after talking to a few nurses who work in hospitals ("filthy, FILTHY place" is a direct quote), I believe a birthing center is a safer option.

Here's is a quote:

"The New England Journal of Medicine released a study in 1989 concluding that birth centers are as safe as hospital environments for delivering babies to low-risk mothers. Because birth centers reduce many standard hospital interventions such as labor induction, electronic fetal monitoring, epidurals and routine IVs, birth centers perform approximately half the number of cesarean sections as traditional hospitals."

Ugh, how awful for you! I can't imagine your pain in going through that.

I'm thinking of touring both places - AABC and Birthwise Family Center for my upcoming birth. I went to the acupuncture clinic associated with Birthwise last night (I have a breech baby and am trying to get her to flip) and am going to talk to them today. A friend had her baby at AABC back in January and was so impressed with it (she had delivered at Seton for her previous pregnancy).

Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corntortilla View Post

A friend had her baby at AABC back in January and was so impressed with it (she had delivered at Seton for her previous pregnancy).

That's so good to know! I would love to hear more about it.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM

139 posts, read 350,762 times
Why not just use a midwife at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: