Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Kinda weird, but i felt the historic core of savannah and columbus had more of a "city" feel than many parts of Atlanta.
I can see some truth to that. Columbus and Atlanta always shared the same layout. So it's easy to tell which part of the city feel larger than the other. And yes,while Atlanta was knocking down good historic urban sculptures for extra elbow room,Columbus was adding on to its historic urban core.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:30 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
I can see some truth to that. Columbus and Atlanta always shared the same layout. So it's easy to tell which part of the city feel larger than the other. And yes,while Atlanta was knocking down good historic urban sculptures for extra elbow room,Columbus was adding on to its historic urban core.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes.

I'm not confusing anything and I know what I'm talking about. I hope you're not going to tell me that Buckhead is as structurally urban as Savannah's historic district because it has highrises, upscale shopping, and MARTA stations.
Buckhead is a stretch (outside of the Lenox area) but yes, urban is more than just rowhouses and narrow streets. Or you going to say that part of Midtown west of Piedmont isn't urban? What about places like Vancouver or Hong Kong that are dominated by block after block of highrises, but nary a rowhouse or anything similar to Savannah?

There is more than just one definition of urban.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Buckhead is a stretch (outside of the Lenox area) but yes, urban is more than just rowhouses and narrow streets. Or you going to say that part of Midtown west of Piedmont isn't urban? What about places like Vancouver or Hong Kong that are dominated by block after block of highrises, but nary a rowhouse or anything similar to Savannah?

You can have urbanity without rowhouses and narrow streets, and Savannah is actually more known for its wide boulevards. Midtown west of Piedmont is urban, but structurally it's not as dense as Savannah's historic district and is more auto-oriented and doesn't have all of its buildings pulled up to the sidewalk. The only district in Atlanta that comes close to matching the structural density and pedestrian-friendliness of downtown Savannah in a classical urban context is Fairlie-Poplar.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

I Guess to settle this out Guys, Which GA Cities Really feel most Like Urban Cities, than Suburban or spaced out districts, or a big Small Town, not speaking of Suburbs right now but the Urban Core. There are just some Cities even with higher population that just dont Feel as Large, urban or Dense due to its Layout. On a larger Scale Example "Jacksonville and Miami" as you know its all based on population density of that Core. Jacksonville is the Largest but Miami feels the Largest, more dense at its core and has the Largest Metro Area. Other factor includes even the negativities of Cities we dont like to talk about like blight, Urban Decay, Rundown Bungalow homes, polution and even Crime.. Thats why after Living in the North East, Now currently living in Atlanta and visiting all 2nd Tier Cities of GA, MACON. Fits the bill 100%.. Truly a Grimey City, Suprised me as well. Thought it would be a small town feel but ended up Feeling more like a Gary, IN or Camden, NJ. In spots, really shocked me... Rough Looking Seriously

Old 11-20-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
There's no need to be confused. I'm just saying Atlanta didn't knock down its entire historic urban core,just pieces of it....while Columbus did more redevelopment to sustain its original historic urban core.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
There's no need to be confused. I'm just saying Atlanta didn't knock down its entire historic urban core,just pieces of it....while Columbus did more redevelopment to sustain its original historic urban core.
Well Columbus' urban core is pretty small to begin with.

But all in all, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison between Atlanta and the 2nd tier cities overall.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Well Columbus' urban core is pretty small to begin with.

But all in all, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison between Atlanta and the 2nd tier cities overall.
I wouldn't say that about Columbus urban core. You do have to factor in Columbus being isolated from east muscogee county because of base. That's a large piece of undeveloped land...and it hurts the urban core of Columbus.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:04 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that about Columbus urban core. You do have to factor in Columbus being isolated from east muscogee county because of base. That's a large piece of undeveloped land...and it hurts the urban core of Columbus.
I would. While charming, it's tiny - especially compared to Fairlie-Poplar. I don't ever recall seeing any historic buildings over a couple of stories tall in the heart of Downtown Columbus.

There is absolutely no comparison to here, despite what we have torn down. There are no Columbus equivalents to the Candler Building, the Flatiron, etc. There is more historic stock still being used today in Downtown Atlanta than Columbus ever had to begin with.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:07 PM

787 posts, read 968,635 times
Im from Columbus (Brown ave, BTW, Apollo dr, Steamill rd, Belvidere Park) and theirs nothing Urban about it. Just a medium city with your typical retai/convenient stores and restaurants. It feels nothing like ATL, its way slower and more laid back. Home of the Aflac building represent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta