Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 PM

58 posts, read 111,413 times

Advertisements

In terms of architecture, look, feeling, plight, etc what's Georgia's most "gritty" city. How would you rank them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times
Hmm my first instinct is to say Macon.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:46 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
Macon

Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,847,050 times
This is straight from the New York Times.

This city is the county seat of Bibb County, and is situated on the right bank of the Ocmulgee River. It is about in the centre of the State, and is in connection with Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Savannah, and other cities adjacent, by rail. It is about thirty miles southwest of Milledgeville, and is a city of some seven thousand or eight thousand inhabitants. The river is navigable for steamboats to Macon, in high water, but the railroads are the principal methods of transportation. It had a large cotton trade with the surrounding towns before the war. Most of the business blocks are of brick, and the hotels were at one time excellent. The Lanier House is the principal hotel, kept by SIMEON LANIER, who first opened the Lafarge House, in New-York City. The Georgia Female College, a fine building, is located about a mile from the centre of the town, and we have been told that since the war it has been used as a military college. Macon had, in its earlier days, a very bad name. It was always infested, more or less, with rowdies, gamblers and thieves.

In 1859, in the office of the Lanier House, one evening, a political discussion arose, and pistols and knives were drawn, and a general melee ensued, in which several persons were badly wounded.

The city is located on the banks of the Chattahoochie River, and is surrounded by a rich agricultural country. It is at the head of steamboat navigation, and about two hundred and thirty miles from Augusta by rail. It was laid out in 1828, and now contains a population of some 8,000. It is connected with Atlanta by the Atlanta and West Point Railroad, and with Montgomery, Ala., by river aad rail. It is the outlet to a large cotton trade, and during the war the rebels have used it as a large depot of supplies. We were told a few days since that a large amount of clothing and camp equipage was manufactured at Columbus. It is closely built, and is a much better looking city than Macon. It was the residence of Judge COLQUITT, the former preacher-Senator from Georgia.

the capital of the State, is situated on the Oconee River, and is the county-seat of Baldwin. It is not a very large place -- perhaps 3,000 inhabitants -- and is built on several hills, and presents rather an uneven appearance. The State-house is a very fine building, shaped in the form of a parallelogram, with gothic turrets and battlements. A few good stores, and one ordinary hotel, to which may be added about twenty whisky groceries, constituted the town proper. A few handsome private residences were scattered in the suburbs, among which is that of Hon. HERSCHEL V. JOHNSON, the Douglas candidate for the Vice-Presidency. It is said JOHNSON came out for the Union at one time, but was driven and persuaded back by the secession element of the State. The country about Milledgeville is poor and unproductive, and the town or city bears the marks of dilapidation.

THE GREAT MARCH. - Review of Gen. Sherman's Georgia Campaign. FROM ATLANTA TO THE ATLANTIC The Inception, the Execution, and the Completion of the Movement. Skirmishes and Incidents on the March. THE MARCHING ORDERS. ATLANTA EVACUATED. HOW THE REBELS

Old 06-09-2014, 08:09 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,748,872 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your paperboy seems to be delivering your NYT a bit late.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your paperboy seems to be delivering your NYT a bit late.

And with a glaring number of typos as well....

Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
I'd have to vote for Albany, sadly.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:32 PM

562 posts, read 1,127,231 times
I vote Macon since it has more of a dense, historic, urban fabric than Albany does.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'd have to vote for Albany, sadly.
This would have been my nominee as well. But nothing in Georgia compares to Gadsden or Selma one state over....

Old 06-03-2015, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 120,733 times
If by gritty you mean dangerous my vote is Albany, it's the only GA city with really no nice areas.

Yes I am aware this is an old thread, it popped up in the bottom of my screen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia