Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Im from Columbus (Brown ave, BTW, Apollo dr, Steamill rd, Belvidere Park) and theirs nothing Urban about it. Just a medium city with your typical retai/convenient stores and restaurants. It feels nothing like ATL, its way slower and more laid back. Home of the Aflac building represent!
I'm from the Wynnton area of Columbus,and you can't tell me there's nothing urban the about Lake Bottom area.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Really? I said nothing about Columbus being more urban than Atlanta. And you might want to check the NRHP again. Atlanta doesn't wipes the floor with Columbus when it comes to Historic shock.
The NRHP is not an exhaustive listing of historic structures; it's not even close as a matter of fact. I mean look at Chatham County on this map; it doesn't have as many listings as Muscogee but anyone who's familiar with both Savannah and Columbus knows that it's no contest between the two when it comes to historic structures.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:41 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I would. While charming, it's tiny - especially compared to Fairlie-Poplar. I don't ever recall seeing any historic buildings over a couple of stories tall in the heart of Downtown Columbus.

There is absolutely no comparison to here, despite what we have torn down. There are no Columbus equivalents to the Candler Building, the Flatiron, etc. There is more historic stock still being used today in Downtown Atlanta than Columbus ever had to begin with.
YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT To be HONEST, Its a complete waste of Time to Argue with some People. This whole Thread was on GA 2 Tier Cities from an ATL perspective. There is absolutly no comparison between 2nd Tier Cities and ATL, thats only Common sense, Totally different Type of City PERIOD. The only reason its in the ATL Thread is for a ATL perspective on these cities. This is really only a AUGUSTA, COLUMBUS, AND MACON Comparrison really from an ATL view point only. Savannah kinda holds its own. People in the 2nd Tiers cant be objective and want there city to be more, it is what it is. Columbus cant be objective for some reason and wants to Compair its self to ATL, cant do that. Its only as large due to Consolidation of City County Governments and the Military Base, Every one knows that. Most all 2nd Tier Cities hold that Population for that reason only. The Core is whats really important and holds the weight, which a lot of times gets ignored. Its really all a matter of government and Jurisdiction that gives the defination. So for a moment lets forget These places are consolidated on Paper, which ones Truly feel the Largest and most Urban.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT To be HONEST, Its a complete waste of Time to Argue with some People. This whole Thread was on GA 2 Tier Cities from an ATL perspective. There is absolutly no comparison between 2nd Tier Cities and ATL, thats only Common sense, Totally different Type of City PERIOD. The only reason its in the ATL Thread is for a ATL perspective on these cities. This is really only a AUGUSTA, COLUMBUS, AND MACON Comparrison really from an ATL view point only. Savannah kinda holds its own. People in the 2nd Tiers cant be objective and want there city to be more, it is what it is. Columbus cant be objective for some reason and wants to Compair its self to ATL, cant do that. Its only as large due to Consolidation of City County Governments and the Military Base, Every one knows that. Most all 2nd Tier Cities hold that Population for that reason only. The Core is whats really important and holds the weight, which a lot of times gets ignored. Its really all a matter of government and Jurisdiction that gives the defination. So for a moment lets forget These places are consolidated on Paper, which ones Truly feel the Largest and most Urban.
Guy, you're fighting a losing battle here. It doesn't matter how many times you try to hammer in what your point was of posting this, the Columbus boosters will come in and take over with their mind numbing "facts".

Perhaps it is time to call it a day and have Greg close shop.

Anyway, here's how I see it: Savannah, Macon, Augusta, Columbus on the subject of urban core. No facts, just opinion. ...ain't nobody gonna tell me different.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:07 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Seriously, why do all of the Columbus boosters share similar names?
It's maddening. And can't spell or use proper grammar, but calls everyone else idiots and dummies. Bunch of kids that think they know everything.

Last edited by convextech; 11-21-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 01:35 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Guy, you're fighting a losing battle here. It doesn't matter how many times you try to hammer in what your point was of posting this, the Columbus boosters will come in and take over with their mind numbing "facts".

Perhaps it is time to call it a day and have Greg close shop.

Anyway, here's how I see it: Savannah, Macon, Augusta, Columbus on the subject of urban core. No facts, just opinion. ...ain't nobody gonna tell me different.
So So True, LOL... All you have to do is do the math and Forget Each 2nd Tier is Consolidated. Give them 35 to 40 sq. miles from there Downtown Core and you have your True Answer.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 PM

286 posts, read 437,938 times
People from the past and present always use to bash columbus saying it doesn't feel urban or big and has slowed paced traffic. Im proud to say im glad I live in columbus ga a non feel urban city with less traffic and short commute times who wants to live in a city with clogged traffic anyway especially atlanta. I would live in columbus anyday over atlanta as far as traffic goes. When people get off of work there wanting to get home not sit in clogged traffic for an hour. So atlanta is a great city with plenty of jobs and entertainment but is worse for it's clogged freeways. But columbus does have busy and fast past traffic on jr.allen parkway people will run you over on jr.allen parkway so you better not drive slow. People think that jr.allen parkway is the daytona 500 racetrack they drive very fast. Also on the alabama side of jr.allen parkway traffic could be backed from 280 bypass all the way up to the riverchase drive interchange exit ramp during rush hour on jr.allen parkway.

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 11-22-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta