Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 05:25 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Interesting! I would have thought that the "Pet Friendly" plate would be more popular. Certainly ahead of "the Golden Rule"!
Better yet, plates for all of the different dog breeds!

Old 11-10-2022, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've seen several different Arizona plates here in Florida. I thought at first glance that they were some other version, of the many different plates we have in Florida. I don't care what the DMV does with plates, but I have heard the Police nationwide are not fond of all these plates. Makes it difficult for them to identify the state of registration, when they quickly need to.
The specialty plates are the reason that Arizona requires frames that allow the state name to be readable. It only applies to Arizona plates, though, not to people from out of state.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:54 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The specialty plates are the reason that Arizona requires frames that allow the state name to be readable. It only applies to Arizona plates, though, not to people from out of state.
But a problem exists that if you put a license plate frame on top, the vast majority of them obscure at least part of the state name. Look at post #7 for example - the word ARIZONA is aligned with the screw holes upon which a frame would be attached.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:07 AM

189 posts, read 197,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
But a problem exists that if you put a license plate frame on top, the vast majority of them obscure at least part of the state name. Look at post #7 for example - the word ARIZONA is aligned with the screw holes upon which a frame would be attached.
Just a reminder though, many frames have thinner top borders, and the frame holes where the screws go actually dip down, so it still allows most of the upper area of the license plate to be visible.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad09 View Post
Just a reminder though, many frames have thinner top borders, and the frame holes where the screws go actually dip down, so it still allows most of the upper area of the license plate to be visible.
That's the kind one needs to look for when selecting one. If you use a "normal" one to show your team's name (or your out of state dealer), you could run afoul of the law and risk getting pulled over with all the negative consequences that could lead to.

Oh, and it is widely believed that having a veteran or fallen officer specialty plate can help get you off with a warning. It has personally happened twice to me now. Just a "slow down and thank you for your service" after getting pulled over. It might be worth the 25 bucks a year for that.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That's the kind one needs to look for when selecting one. If you use a "normal" one to show your team's name (or your out of state dealer), you could run afoul of the law and risk getting pulled over with all the negative consequences that could lead to.
I seriously doubt anyone in this state has been pulled over for a too-thick license plate frame.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I seriously doubt anyone in this state has been pulled over for a too-thick license plate frame.
I would think it is one of those things that they use when fabricating an excuse to stop someone. Since the advent of LED bulbs the old "I pulled you over because your tail light is out" is not working as well. I'll leave it at that, but add that I would not be drinking and driving with one.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:05 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
I would think it is one of those things that they use when fabricating an excuse to stop someone. Since the advent of LED bulbs the old "I pulled you over because your tail light is out" is not working as well. I'll leave it at that, but add that I would not be drinking and driving with one.
This is exactly the purpose of some of the more nit-picky traffic laws are for. Officer suspects that someone is driving impaired/distracted/etc but hasn't done anything stupid. Oh look, their license plate frame obscures the top of the plate...light 'em up.

It is all about probable cause to pull someone over. A friend of ours, who is a police officer, has and does pull people over for it. Usually a fix-it ticket but she has used it to investigate larger infractions. Same with the seat belt laws and using your mobile phone/texting...although that one will get you a real ticket, not a fix-it.

Old 11-14-2022, 03:10 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
They should pull people over for faded license plates, not only are they difficult to read, but reflect poorly on first impressions if a visitor sees it.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
They should pull people over for faded license plates, not only are they difficult to read, but reflect poorly on first impressions if a visitor sees it.
Why in the world do you recommend that? If the state keeps sending out registration renewal tags for it, then the local goons have no rationale pulling someone over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona