Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 10:49 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times

Advertisements

If it brings in more voluntary money, i.e. not enforced taxes, thats a good thing.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:06 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
ha!....be very careful with the word "charity" here!....somebody above just reminded me of the U of Phoenix plate....the U of Phx, as we all know, is a private for-profit (some would call corrupt diploma mill) school whose $17 plate fee goes to their "Alumni Network" group....hardly a charity!......the "Choose Life" plate $17 goes to an anti-abortion group, a blatantly politicized group and not at all a charity!......"In God We Trust" goes only toward promoting that motto, according to the ADOT website, an obvious failure to separate (Christian) church and state!....and definitely not a charity!!!

and those are only the first three I checked!

yeah, I could worry about world peace and Ukraine and stuff instead of private license plates, but I wonder how private companies received favors like this and how ADOT's failure to separate church and state passed muster......I think I know why, but don't want to start a larger politics/state legislature debate
Then don't buy one. You seem to be infatuated with "separation of Church and State" and trying to goad a discussion about it more than you are really worried about specialized plates. The fact that you are surprised that there would be any political "back scratching" going on here speaks volumes.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:57 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Then don't buy one. You seem to be infatuated with "separation of Church and State" and trying to goad a discussion about it more than you are really worried about specialized plates. The fact that you are surprised that there would be any political "back scratching" going on here speaks volumes.
As long as you'd be cool with a pro-atheism plate, an 'In Allah we Trust' that supports Islamic causes, and a women's right to choose one that benefits Planned Parenthood.

Old 10-20-2022, 05:20 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
As long as you'd be cool with a pro-atheism plate, an 'In Allah we Trust' that supports Islamic causes, and a women's right to choose one that benefits Planned Parenthood.
Having specialized license plates for those causes wouldn't bother me. Not much different than plastering bumper stickers on your own vehicle.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Having specialized license plates for those causes wouldn't bother me. Not much different than plastering bumper stickers on your own vehicle.
I think the consternation comes from then being state sponsored, but if they’re going to facilitate the promotion of one religion or agenda, they should allow them all.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:47 PM

110 posts, read 118,488 times
Leave it to you guys to politicize license plates, SMH...

Old 10-20-2022, 10:26 PM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
More whining...

Old 10-21-2022, 08:09 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I think the consternation comes from then being state sponsored, but if they’re going to facilitate the promotion of one religion or agenda, they should allow them all.
They don't just make plates for the heck of it - they make these plates because they're sponsored by a lawmaker or an organization. If there isn't an "In Allah We Trust" plate, it's because no one's stepped up to try.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
ha!....be very careful with the word "charity" here!....somebody above just reminded me of the U of Phoenix plate....the U of Phx, as we all know, is a private for-profit (some would call corrupt diploma mill) school whose $17 plate fee goes to their "Alumni Network" group....hardly a charity!......the "Choose Life" plate $17 goes to an anti-abortion group, a blatantly politicized group and not at all a charity!......"In God We Trust" goes only toward promoting that motto, according to the ADOT website, an obvious failure to separate (Christian) church and state!....and definitely not a charity!!!

and those are only the first three I checked!

yeah, I could worry about world peace and Ukraine and stuff instead of private license plates, but I wonder how private companies received favors like this and how ADOT's failure to separate church and state passed muster......I think I know why, but don't want to start a larger politics/state legislature debate

As long as "In God We Trust" remains the official motto of the United States and is stamped on every piece of US currency, I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on regarding a state license plate.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
They don't just make plates for the heck of it - they make these plates because they're sponsored by a lawmaker or an organization. If there isn't an "In Allah We Trust" plate, it's because no one's stepped up to try.
That may be true but we all know that people would throw a fit and it would never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona