Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 08:58 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times

Advertisements

all: yes, I certainly realize there are bigger things to worry about.......and, yes, I was thinking Barrett Jackson was making money off these plates as a private for-profit company.....if, in fact, the proceeds for B-J plates are being directed to the Heart Association, then that's certainly good.......however, the argument that the car auction brings in millions to the state, and, gee, therefore deserves a plate, is not solid......by that reasoning, the housing/construction industry, the "weather", and sales tax revenue deserve plates!

my concern is the proliferation of specialized plates favoring apparently selected groups, including private companies/organizations, the biased blur between separation of church and state (Christian "In God We Trust" plates), and the feel-good nature of some (pets)....

thanks for listening.....carry on!

Old 10-18-2022, 10:07 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
LOL, “if, in fact…” like we’re all lying to you and like you can’t look for yourself where the proceeds go.

The creepy ‘in god we trust’ plates should be ditched. The government shouldn’t provide ways to promote religion, especially singling out just one specifically. Imagine if we had an ‘in Allah we trust plate’.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:49 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,649 times
Article about the most and least popular plates in Arizona.

https://www.azmirror.com/blog/the-mo...izona-in-2022/

Other specialty plates, however, don’t have many takers. The Legion of Valor plate gives money to the Highway User Revenue Fund, which distributes money for highway improvement projects, is the least popular: It has enticed only nine drivers this year, earning just $153 dollars.

The University of Phoenix, home ownership, road safety and the National Guard themed plates have all vied for the next two spots at the bottom of the list since 2018.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:09 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post

Other specialty plates, however, don’t have many takers. The Legion of Valor plate gives money to the Highway User Revenue Fund, which distributes money for highway improvement projects, is the least popular: It has enticed only nine drivers this year, earning just $153 dollars.

The University of Phoenix, home ownership, road safety and the National Guard themed plates have all vied for the next two spots at the bottom of the list since 2018.
Well...to become a member of the Legion of Valor you have to have been awarded a Medal of Honor, DSC, Navy Cross or Air Force Cross. Arguably, a very small cross section of Veterans would hold these honors let alone be part of that group.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:26 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
all: yes, I certainly realize there are bigger things to worry about.......and, yes, I was thinking Barrett Jackson was making money off these plates as a private for-profit company.....if, in fact, the proceeds for B-J plates are being directed to the Heart Association, then that's certainly good.......however, the argument that the car auction brings in millions to the state, and, gee, therefore deserves a plate, is not solid......by that reasoning, the housing/construction industry, the "weather", and sales tax revenue deserve plates!

my concern is the proliferation of specialized plates favoring apparently selected groups, including private companies/organizations, the biased blur between separation of church and state (Christian "In God We Trust" plates), and the feel-good nature of some (pets)....

thanks for listening.....carry on!
Certainly stretching with your reasoning. Barrett Jackson is a huge yearly event. I am actually surprised we don't have one for the Phoenix Open considering how many golf courses/golfers we have in this state and the charitable donations of the Thunderbirds ($160M and counting). The plate was launched in 2018 to coincide with Barrett Jackson's Driven Hearts campaign to drive donations to the American Heart Association. Barrett Jackson is a Scottsdale company, one of the largest and most prestigious (arguably) auto auctions and has given over $100M in charitable donations over its history. I doubt " the housing/construction industry, the "weather", and sales tax revenue" can say the same. Barrett Jackson makes $0 off of these plates. No I don't have one but I see why it is there.

All of the specialty plates are tied to some sort of charity and a portion of the "plate fee", normally about $17 per year, goes to that particular charity. If you don't like some of them, don't buy one. Others seem to like them and are supporting the charities associated with the plate.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 10-19-2022 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-19-2022, 08:40 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Certainly stretching with your reasoning. Barrett Jackson is a huge yearly event. I am actually surprised we don't have on for the Phoenix Open considering how many golf courses/golfers we have in this state and the charitable donations of the Thunderbirds ($160M and counting). The plate was launched in 2018 to coincide with Barrett Jackson's Driven Hearts campaign to drive donations to the American Heart Association. Barrett Jackson is a Scottsdale company, one of the largest and most prestigious (arguably) auto auctions and has given over $100M in charitable donations over its history. I doubt " the housing/construction industry, the "weather", and sales tax revenue" can say the same. Barrett Jackson makes $0 off of these plates. No I don't have one but I see why it is there.

All of the specialty plates are tied to some sort of charity and a portion of the "plate fee", normally about $17 per year, goes to that particular charity. If you don't like some of them, don't buy one. Others seem to like them and are supporting the charities associated with the plate.
That really is the bottom line!

With all the crap that's happening in our country today this is what some people are concerned about? Besides it really is nobodies business whether someone want's a specialized license plate or not.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:14 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post

Interesting! I would have thought that the "Pet Friendly" plate would be more popular. Certainly ahead of "the Golden Rule"!

Old 10-19-2022, 08:04 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
All of the specialty plates are tied to some sort of charity and a portion of the "plate fee", normally about $17 per year, goes to that particular charity.

ha!....be very careful with the word "charity" here!....somebody above just reminded me of the U of Phoenix plate....the U of Phx, as we all know, is a private for-profit (some would call corrupt diploma mill) school whose $17 plate fee goes to their "Alumni Network" group....hardly a charity!......the "Choose Life" plate $17 goes to an anti-abortion group, a blatantly politicized group and not at all a charity!......"In God We Trust" goes only toward promoting that motto, according to the ADOT website, an obvious failure to separate (Christian) church and state!....and definitely not a charity!!!

and those are only the first three I checked!

yeah, I could worry about world peace and Ukraine and stuff instead of private license plates, but I wonder how private companies received favors like this and how ADOT's failure to separate church and state passed muster......I think I know why, but don't want to start a larger politics/state legislature debate

Old 10-19-2022, 08:31 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
ha!....be very careful with the word "charity" here!....somebody above just reminded me of the U of Phoenix plate....the U of Phx, as we all know, is a private for-profit (some would call corrupt diploma mill) school whose $17 plate fee goes to their "Alumni Network" group....hardly a charity!......the "Choose Life" plate $17 goes to an anti-abortion group, a blatantly politicized group and not at all a charity!......"In God We Trust" goes only toward promoting that motto, according to the ADOT website, an obvious failure to separate (Christian) church and state!....and definitely not a charity!!!

and those are only the first three I checked!

yeah, I could worry about world peace and Ukraine and stuff instead of private license plates, but I wonder how private companies received favors like this and how ADOT's failure to separate church and state passed muster......I think I know why, but don't want to start a larger politics/state legislature debate
In addition: these specialized plates draw attention to a person's vehicle, especially when it involves anything political or religious. This is why I don't get the specialized plates, and why I don't plaster my car with all those ridiculous bumper stickers, placards, flags, or signs promoting a particular belief or agenda. Same reason why I don't post signs in my yard advertising who I'm supporting in the election. Anybody else is free to do so, but I'm not going to increase the chances of vandalism or harassment, or make my house or car look like a billboard. I'll just use whatever plate comes with the vehicle when I make the purchase.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:14 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In addition: these specialized plates draw attention to a person's vehicle, especially when it involves anything political or religious. This is why I don't get the specialized plates, and why I don't plaster my car with all those ridiculous bumper stickers, placards, flags, or signs promoting a particular belief or agenda. Same reason why I don't post signs in my yard advertising who I'm supporting in the election. Anybody else is free to do so, but I'm not going to increase the chances of vandalism or harassment, or make my house or car look like a billboard. I'll just use whatever plate comes with the vehicle when I make the purchase.
Same here and for those reasons.

The only specialized plates I have are the year of manufacture for my antique cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona